VERY URGENT ! MiFi advice needed (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Asked wife to pop into Southend to buy a 3 MiFi dongle, a Huawei E586, she is standing in Southend High Street as I type.

I had phoned the Southend 3 shop to confirm a couple of points and that they had stock.

Rosie was told by sales person that this device and the 3 data will not work abroad, so Rosie phones me here in France, what to do?

She's off to get a cup of tea and hope that I can confirm it's the right thing to buy, she is supposed to bring it with her when she travels here tomorrow so time is of the essence.

Anybody understand why the sales person said this?

We understand the roaming charges are high, but 90% of the email use will be in the UK, and we only need email via our tablet. The sales person was stating that the device and 3 network partners would not work in Europe.

Help please.

ps: if we get this do we register the device/sim in the UK or register it in France when we need to use it in 3 weeks time. We are buying the +3 option with 3GB and 3 months duration

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I question this myself a few weeks ago on MHF

Asked wife to pop into Southend to buy a 3 MiFi dongle, a Huawei E586, she standing in Southend High Street as I type.

I had phoned the Southend 3 shop to confirm a couple of points and that they had stock.

Rosie was told by sales person that this device and the 3 data will not work abroad, so Rosie phones me here in France, what to do?

She's off to get a cup of tea and hope that I can confirm it's the right thing to buy, she is supposed to bring it with her when she travels here tomorrow so time is of the essence.

Anybody understand why the sales person said this?

We understand the roaming charges are high, but 90% of the email use will be in the UK, and we only need email via our tablet. The sales person was stating that the device and 3 network partners would not work in Europe.

Help please.

I question this myself a few weeks ago on MHF.. I was told by those that know that you can use it...

I do know it works well in the UK.

I think he is saying you have to be aware of the very high charges if you use one.. it has a normal 3 small sim card in it.

Bob

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I question this myself a few weeks ago on MHF.. I was told by those that know that you can use it...

I do know it works well in the UK.

I think he is saying you have to be aware of the very high charges if you use one.. it has a normal 3 small sim card in it.

Bob

Thanks Bob

Rosie did persist and mention that I had phoned and said we wanted to use this 90% UK and 10% Europe. When I phoned they immediately mentioned the 'outrageous' roaming charges and I said I had read their PAYG price plan for using in Europe and was comfortable with that as it was only email, not surfing even.

The seller repeated several times this will not work in Europe, it was a point the seller wasn't going to move from.

Rosie doesn't usually worry or panic, but felt she had to force the sales person to sell it to us, all this she found at odds with what I had learnt.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dubiousp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
The MIFi is great and to be honest it works well against all the other providers. Ive also used mine in Cyprus and Italy I suspect through a partner. If its pay as you go it will not work of your normal balance you have to select international top up on your account. Its ok for add hoc emails and access when need it will get pricey if you download pictures and all that stuff.

You could unlock it and get a local card where you go.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
The MIFi is great and to be honest it works well against all the other providers. Ive also used mine in Cyprus and Italy I suspect through a partner. If its pay as you go it will not work of your normal balance you have to select international top up on your account. Its ok for add hoc emails and access when need it will get pricey if you download pictures and all that stuff.

You could unlock it and get a local card where you go.

Have just spoken with 3, their website is down as overloaded because of iPhone? release.

The chap just said what in effect you have just written that the roaming charges are very very high.
I thought I had read about their data roaming charges on their website, but not being able to access the site I can't confrim if I was right or wrong.

The same advice really, unlock the device and use a local sim with local data charges, but data in France is very very expensive and the sims here expire so rapidly too.

Hey ho, what to do.

Thanks

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have a 3 with 12gb on it

Have just spoken with 3, their website is down as overloaded becasue of iPhone? release.

The chap just said what in effect you have just written that the roaming charges are very very high.
I thought I had read about their data roaming charges on their website, but not being able to access the site I can't confrim if I was right or wrong.

The same advice really, unlock the device and use a local sim with local data charges, but data in France is very very expensive and the sims here expire so rapidly too.

Hey ho, what to do.

Thanks

i have a PAYG 3 with a 12g sim... it is activated the first time you use it and runs for up to 12 months or when you have used the 12 g up.

It is very good and I have not used much of the 12g I paid for.. mine is locked to 3.

Bob

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Managed to get into part of the 3 website, it gives detail for data to be used via a phone, not a MiFi device.

It states that if you are on PAYG (for a phone?) you don't have to log in and register for using abroad, only if on contract. Whether this applies to MiFi not sure.

The charges although high at 69.6p per MB abroad (for a phone only?) are acceptable for our first experiment with it..

We have a trip coming up in 3 weeks and want to use that as a trial run to work out what works for us and what I have got right or wrong. We are using it to set up mobile communications on a more permanent basis in the near future, so it's important to have a shot at using all this new to us stuff.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
If the MIfi is locked you will be able to use it abraod as long as you have activated International use.

However if you wish to use 3 and it is a PAYG sim, their PAYG roaming charges will be 69.6 p per Mb..:cry::Eeek:

Broken Link Removed

If you have a 3 contract then you can use your home package for £5 per day (0000 - 2359hrs ). Still not the cheapest.:cry:

If it is an unlocked MIfi you can use a local sim but in France that is still not too cheap and often not very easy to set up....

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Might be worth checking the following;

Joyce changed her mobile contract to Three recently and was told it would work on roaming in France with no problem.
What they failed to tell her, we only found out when we were over in France :Angry:, roaming was not available for a period of 60 days from the start of the contract. Brian

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
This looks quite interesting. http://www.lefrenchmobile.com/
They will deliver the sim to any eu country.
Another option is the O2 deal which is 1.99E a day for up to 25 mb of data when abroad. We've been in France 4 weeks and I've used it occasionally to check emails. My one beef with them is that having used it a few days and used nothing like the 25mb allowance I used it and went a little over (27mb). They sent me a very nippy text saying 'do that again and we'll put you on the expensive tariff. The problem is that you can't see how much you've used until they text you.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Vodafone do a £3 per day charge when over there to cover for all-- you can use your phone as normal with calls,internet ,same number and use it as a mifi hotspot for other devices :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Vodafone do a £3 per day charge when over there to cover for all-- you can use your phone as normal with calls,internet ,same number [HI]and use it as a mifi hotspot for other devices[/HI] :thumb:

Only if you have tethering allowed on your Vodafone account for UK.

Some Vodafone contract do not allow thethering, it only allows mobile data, ie on your phone.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
[HI]This looks quite interesting. [/HI]http://www.lefrenchmobile.com/
They will deliver the sim to any eu country.
Another option is the O2 deal which is 1.99E a day for up to 25 mb of data when abroad. We've been in France 4 weeks and I've used it occasionally to check emails. My one beef with them is that having used it a few days and used nothing like the 25mb allowance I used it and went a little over (27mb). They sent me a very nippy text saying 'do that again and we'll put you on the expensive tariff. The problem is that you can't see how much you've used until they text you.

and rather expensive when compared to 25mb for 1.99 with O2 which you quote......

3 Euro for 10mb or 7 Euro for 50 mb......

Link Removed

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
OK, decided to go back into 3 shop, buy Huawei E586 with +3 PAYG package, get it unlocked and and walk out.

This evening will follow all the threads with info on best deal for data useage in Europe and use the 3 sim only in the UK.

Have read that some have had trouble getting a non 3 supplier sim to work on 2G, but there is always an answer.

Latest - Rosie has just come out of the shop as she has been told they have no stock!!! Yesterday afternoon my call to the same shop was yes we've loads of stock of the E586, what a load of...
Offered her a 355 or such, but know it doesn't have the same full spec that the E586 does. The sales person said it did everything the E586 does.

Rosie has just gone back in 2 minutes later, " yes we do have the E586 but only on contract or PAYG with the +12GB option at £120+ cost, what a bunch of lying toads, poor Rosie.

Off to find a Huawei E586, it's so difficult to spend money.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
OK, decided to go back into 3 shop, buy Huawei E586 with +3 PAYG package, get it unlocked and and walk out.

This evening will follow all the threads with info on best deal for data useage in Europe and use the 3 sim only in the UK.

Have read that some have had trouble getting a non 3 supplier sim to work on 2G, but there is always an answer.

Latest - Rosie has just come out of the shop as she has been told they have no stock!!! Yesterday afternoon my call to the same shop was yes we've loads of stock of the E586, what a load of...
Offered her a 355 or such, but know it doesn't have the same full spec that the E586 does. The sales person said it did everything the E586 does.

Rosie has just gone back in 2 minutes later, " yes we do have the E586 but only on contract or PAYG with the +12GB option at £120+ cost, what a bunch of lying toads, poor Rosie.

Off to find a Huawei E586, it's so difficult to spend money.

Veevee...Would you keep me up to date with what you are doing...eg Mifi in France..I am very interested, as I was just about to do the same myself with a Uk unlocked mifi in France with a payag French sim[SI:thumb: I will hang fire for now

I had heard that a UK mifi would not work in France...WHY:Doh: I do not know why it should'nt...may be it is the poaching problem buying and using a cheaper UK mifi in the more expensive France....a bit like the sky tv....that is why I was thinking on the unlocked method...
Mel

Last edited:

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
and rather expensive when compared to 25mb for 1.99 with O2 which you quote......

3 Euro for 10mb or 7 Euro for 50 mb......

Link Removed

yes it does look expensive but if you want to use more than 25mb a day O2 is neither use nor ornament. The bigger packages are cheaper on the lefrench deal. This trip we're using site wifi when we can, free on the odd times we can find it (which isn't often) and O2 for check in the rest of the time.
I'm sure they will get it sorted out eventually and offer a reasonable deal for mifi.
When is anyone's guess...

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
yes it does look expensive but if you want to use more than 25mb a day O2 is neither use nor ornament. The bigger packages are cheaper on the lefrench deal. This trip we're using site wifi when we can, free on the odd times we can find it (which isn't often) and O2 for check in the rest of the time.
I'm sure they will get it sorted out eventually and offer a reasonable deal for mifi.
When is anyone's guess...

If you want more data allowance, then Vodafone allow you to use your UK contract as if you were in UK, for £3 per day. Ideal for occasional days when you have no wifi access...

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I purchased the same model a few weeks ago . Logged on to the 3 website and bought £30 ofeurope data use age. I am now in Avignon ( what a drive that was)! And using Mifi. It seems fi e just don't know how much my £30 will get me.
Cheers.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

[HI]Off to find a Huawei E586[/HI], it's so difficult to spend money.

From just over £60 unlocked on eBay..... don't know how much 3 are charging these days..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_sacat=0&_nkw=e586+unlocked&LH_PrefLoc=1

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Veevee...Would you keep me up to date with what you are doing...eg Mifi in France..I am very interested, as I was just about to do the same myself with a Uk unlocked mifi in France with a payag French sim[SI:thumb: I will hang fire for now

I had heard that a UK mifi would not work in France...WHY:Doh: I do not know why it should'nt...may be it is the poaching problem buying and using a cheaper UK mifi in the more expensive France....a bit like the sky tv....that is why I was thinking on the unlocked method...
Mel.

Will do Mel, I will have bought something by this evening and researched some of the Euro data offers by very late tonight.

I'll let you know the outcome with as much graphic detail as you want, just tell me when to stop!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I purchased the same model a few weeks ago . Logged on to the 3 website and bought £30 ofeurope data use age. I am now in Avignon ( what a drive that was)! And using Mifi. It seems fi e just don't know how much my £30 will get me.
Cheers.

Nirvanauk....its working that's the main thing........ at what cost is another:Eeek: that's to be found out

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Bought the Huawei E586 modem from these people

Link Removed

Can't say they are better or worse than others of a similar price, time will tell.
What they were prepared to do is take the order at 4:30 on Friday UK time for delivery the next day and reply to my emails promptly.

The cost was £79.18 to include -

Huawei E586ES-2 modem
Car charger - free
Euro socket adapter - free
Saturday delivery and extra £5.00 making it £8.20 in total
Three 3GB data sim

Thsi is £5.81 less than the 3 deal by going into their shop.

Just like to thank everybody very much for your help, I'll post updates as and when there is something to write... like it all works.

Last question (for now!). Has anybody activated a UK data sim when abroad? or should Rosie try to do it nbefore she leaves?

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Link Removed

Can't say they are better or worse than others of a similar price, time will tell.
What they were prepared to do is take the order at 4:30 on Friday UK time for delivery the next day and reply to my emails promptly.

Huawei E586ES-2 modem
Car charger - free
Three 3GB data sim

Just like to thank everybody very much for your help, I'll post updates as and when there is something to write... like it all works.

Last question (for now!). Has anybody activated a UK data sim when abroad? or should Rosie try to do it nbefore she leaves?

I asked that same question two to three weeks ago.....they all said wait till in the Uk....it's a shame you did not have a cheap 1gb 3 to test with, so not to use the 3gb and waste it ....but i was going to the uk

Mel

Last edited:
OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Cheers.

Doesn't your device have a read out of how much data is used, or wont it read the data in the manner that you bought it maybe? Ithough that was one of the big things with this model that it told you exactly how much you have used?

Did you have to register with 3 to top up with Euro data? and was it easy to find the area to top up Euro data on the website?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Best to do it before you go, as the roaming charges could be considerably higher especially if you are hoping to use a data "package".

You will also have verified that the sim is working as it should before it is too late.:Smile:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

Link Removed

Huawei E586ES-2 modem
Car charger - free
Three 3GB data sim

I got one of those off ebay and worked with a 3G card ok in the UK.
I took it to France with this Link Removed and could not activate it as it has a pin number on the sim.
I ended up using my HTC phone with my vodafone contract discount --worked well

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Cheers.

Are you on PAYG or contract, and can you post a link to where on the 3 website you purchased £30 of Euro Data?... That should also show how much you are charged per Mb.

I hope its not their standard 69.6p per Mb. That would get you less than 21 Mb for £30....:Eeek:

Cheers.

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I got one of those off ebay and worked with a 3G card ok in the UK.
I took it to France with this Link Removed and could not activate it as it has a pin number on the sim.
I ended up using my HTC phone with my vodafone contract discount --worked well

Hello joner

Just read this on their site

"PLEASE NOTE:
The French pre-paid data SIM card is for smartphone mobile use onlyand will not work with a Tablet, USB dongle or MiFi device​
"

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hello joner

Just read this on their site

"PLEASE NOTE:
The French pre-paid data SIM card is for smartphone mobile use onlyand will not work with a Tablet, USB dongle or MiFi device​
"

Many of these "European" data sims will only allow use directly in a smart phone and do not permit , tethering, hotspot or dongle use......:Angry:

So take care and always check the small print if you are hoping to connect a another device via it......

also if you are tethering to a laptop etc, your data consumption will be much more than when using a smart phone, so make sure you turn all your automatic updates such as AV, Windows, Adobe etc etc off, as these will munch your data faster than Billy Bunter in the data Tuck Shop.......................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back