advice on thetford fridge winter vents please (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I'm confused......:Doh: not difficult these days...
I have a thetford 150 ltr fridge freezer with two large external vents. I have been given conflicting advice on winter covers. I have been told that i need a vent cover for both top and bottom vents by one accessory dealer and that only 1 cover is needed by another dealer. But neither are adament whats needed. Its not clear on the theford web site either.

Anyone with a 145 ltr or 150 ltr fridge freezer know whats needed?

Your help wil be appreciated.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Do I need winter covers?
We recommend the use of winter covers when the fridge is being used in cool temperatures <8C, when the van is in storage or when being cleaned.

Should I take special precautions using my refrigerator during winter?
We advise using Thetford winter covers on the ventilation grills from 8 degrees Celsius and below to ensure optimum performance. Winter covers can be obtained as an accessory from your Thetford point of sale.

from here
http://www.thetford-europe.com/en/faqs.aspx

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Have to be honest after having a thetford fridge in the caravan before we got rid ,I never knew they done winter covers for them, mind you it was a bonus if the thing worked most of the time anyway. I know with the Dometic they have top and bottom covers and I think I'am right in saying that they should be used when temperatures drop below 10 degrees.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
You need both for operating below 8 degrees C.

Also use them when storing and cleaning the van.

Last time I bought some (when I lost one in transit :Doh:), you could only buy them as a pair. :Smile:

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Do I need winter covers?
We recommend the use of winter covers when the fridge is being used in cool temperatures <8C, when the van is in storage or when being cleaned.

Should I take special precautions using my refrigerator during winter?
We advise using Thetford winter covers on the ventilation grills from 8 degrees Celsius and below to ensure optimum performance. Winter covers can be obtained as an accessory from your Thetford point of sale.

from here
http://www.thetford-europe.com/en/faqs.aspx

Thanks i have seen that but despite the fact it says "covers" it is not clear that you need 2. With their smaller fridge sets the 2 covers needed come in 1 bag. These are sold singularly.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
If you leave fridge vents covers on when the weather is at present would the fridge still perform as normal? Ie why use only below 10 degrees

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I'm confused......:Doh: not difficult these days...
I have a thetford 150 ltr fridge freezer with two large external vents. I have been given conflicting advice on winter covers. I have been told that i need a vent cover for both top and bottom vents by one accessory dealer and that only 1 cover is needed by another dealer. But neither are adament whats needed. Its not clear on the theford web site either.

Anyone with a 145 ltr or 150 ltr fridge freezer know whats needed?

Your help wil be appreciated.

I have always fitted winter covers to my vans. They are a must when washing to keep out the excess water and in winter to let the fridge work at it's most efficient. About 8-10 degrees is when you would need to fit them in winter.
If you decide to purchase a pair of covers I have a brand new pair which
have never been fitted. Just PM me if you are interested.

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I have always fitted winter covers to my vans. They are a must when washing to keep out the excess water and in winter to let the fridge work at it's most efficient. About 8-10 degrees is when you would need to fit them in winter.
If you decide to purchase a pair of covers I have a brand new pair which
have never been fitted. Just PM me if you are interested.

I have already purchased 2 covers, it was after purchasing them i was told by a second dealer only 1 was necessary. That is what i am trying to clarify. It does seem 2 are needed.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You need 2 of these......

Link Removed

'Covers' is a bit missleading, they actually fit behind your vents!

Ignore anyone who tells you to simply fit 2 small size covers on each vent instead!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
You need 2 of these......

Link Removed

'Covers' is a bit missleading, they actually fit behind your vents!

Ignore anyone who tells you to simply fit 2 small size covers on each vent instead!

Thanks thats what i have. So job done... many thanks all:thumb:

camper

Free Member
Oct 5, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
VW T5 campervan
Exp
winter

Do you need to put the covers on even if you don't use the fridge in the winter months?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Do you need to put the covers on even if you don't use the fridge in the winter months?

MMMMM, dunno! Putting them on can help to keep rain out!

We use our fridge all year round, I was under the impression the vents were to prevent over-cooling of the fridge at low ambient temperatures. I would guess a fridge not being used shouldn't over-cool!
If permanent damage was caused due to low ambient temperatures around a switched-off fridge, I guess there would be a lot of unhappy caravanners out there come the Easter Bank Holiday when they get their vans out of storage!:Smile:

Our 'weather station' in our MH has it's outside sensor mounted just inside our lower fridge vent, allowing it a flow of ambient air. Now, bearing in mind, when skiing, we have seen temperatures of - 20 and below, I would say don't worry about your fridge!:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have a largish Dometic fridge/freezer in the van.
Never have used covers on it nor on any of our previous vans.. In fact did not even know they existed for the first 2 or 3 years of motorhoming !!

As we have used the van(s) all year round without issue I shall not be fitting any now :Smile:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I have not had covers on either of the vans we have had and we have used all year no problem.I suppose there may be an argument on efficiency grounds?:RollEyes:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
In my Eura I never once used covers and I fulltimed in it down to -22C. Never put them on for washing either just avoided direct jets of water...

Never a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back