Duncanettekace

Free Member
Sep 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet.
Exp
Hi, I'm new here. Our only child has just left for Uni and, as we are empty nesters, we have put our 3 bed semi in the New Forest up for sale and are planning on Full Time Motor Homing. We are in our late 30's/early 40's and are really looking forward to blowing our equity on a nice new MH and travelling the world :)

I am, however, a little confused by some of the MOT comments. As I understand it Live in Vehicles under 3500 do not need an MOT, they are exempt.

Link Removed

See no. 13

Hope that info is of use to some of you :Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi, I'm new here. Our only child has just left for Uni and, as we are empty nesters, we have put our 3 bed semi in the New Forest up for sale and are planning on Full Time Motor Homing. We are in our late 30's/early 40's and are really looking forward to blowing our equity on a nice new MH and travelling the world :)

I am, however, a little confused by some of the MOT comments. As I understand it Live in Vehicles under 3500 do not need an MOT, they are exempt.

Link Removed

See no. 13

Hope that info is of use to some of you :Smile:

My understanding it that this is not applicable to a vehicle used for recreation . .. ie a motorcaravan , whether lived in full time or not, but refers to showman's vehicles.

'Living Van'

As defined by DVLA

8.6 Showman’s HGV
A showman’s goods vehicle is a vehicle registered in the name of a person who follows the business of a travelling showman and which is used solely by him for that purpose, and which is a goods vehicle permanently fitted with a living van or some other special type of body or superstructure, forming part of the equipment of the show of the registered keeper.

"A 'motor caravan' is "a motor vehicle (not being a living van) which is
constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers and their effects and
which contains, as permanently installed equipment, the facilities which
are reasonably necessary for enabling the vehicle to provide mobile living
accommodation for its users". Motor caravans are not classed as goods
vehicles for MOT test purposes and are therefore in class IV or V depending
on their seating capacity but regardless of their size or weight.
A 'living van' is "a vehicle, whether mechanically propelled or not, which
is used for living accommodation by one or more persons and which is also
used for the carriage of goods or burden which are not needed by such one
or more persons for the purpose of their residence in the vehicle". 'Living
vans' are classed as goods vehicles and, depending on their weight, are
therefore in either class IV or VII within the MOT test scheme or are
subject to HGV plating and testing.
A 'living van' up to 3000kg dgw (Design Gross Weight) would require a class IV
test, and the first MOT would be due on the third anniversary of first
registration.
'Living vans' over 3000kg and up to 3500kg dgw require a class
VII test and would require an MOT when the vehicle is 1 year old.

A lot more info here
http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-mot.shtml

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Duncanettekace

Free Member
Sep 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet.
Exp
That's what I originally thought so, I called the DVLAand asked them. The lady who I spoke to said that it does apply to full timers in a MH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i pull a living van . its had its gvw lowered to 3,500kg . so it doesnt require testing . neither does my truck that pulls it . but i cant pull other trailers. only a articulated combination of a trailer in class 13.the truck comes under class35.
i suggest you try 07779282183 thats ross frost head of vosa mot section at swansea . he can answer just about any question you put to him . very helpfull . spoken with him a few times about this same subject.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That's what I originally thought so, I called the DVLAand asked them. The lady who I spoke to said that it does apply to full timers in a MH.
Ring DVLA and ask again.....you'll get a different answer every time. :Doh:

DVLA = not fit for purpose and until they get all their staff singing from the same song sheet it never will be.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
vosa is who he really needs to speak to . dvla dont get involved with mot,s really.
the v112g form is only for tax purposes any way . that form is for vehicles over 3,500kg anyway.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Will this be another case of
"Im a full timer with no fixed abode Im Mot exempt":thumb:

What do you mean I cant have Insurance because I dont have a fixed abode??

"Im not a full timer"I have a uk address :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
D

Duncanettekace

Free Member
Sep 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet.
Exp
Will this be another case of
"Im a full timer with no fixed abode Im Mot exempt":thumb:

What do you mean I cant have Insurance because I dont have a fixed abode??

"Im not a full timer"I have a uk address :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not really sure what you mean?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

You will when you get quotes for insurance in the thousands if you can find any that is because your full timing:cry:
Most then claim a UK based abode ie Bro or Sisters
The real world simply isn't gear'd up for the free spirited, and they are drawn in to lies and subterfuge to get by, or do without as the case may be me thinks your slant on the Mot is viewed with rose tinted glasses in the event of an insurance claim the test certificat may well be requested if not available you may be required to provide proof of why it's not reqd thereby invalidating the insurance by a lack of truthfulness at the start, ie your not really a clown in a circus:ROFLMAO: its a vicious circle that can and often does come round and bite you on the ass
Geo

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
un fortunately there is no actual gain in being a showman . if you are pulling trailers or vehicles carrying circus or fair ground equipment the same rules apply to anyone . .the living van mot is for vehicles up to 3,500kg .these can be trailers or self propelled vehicles . if under 3,500kg and self propelled they come under light mot testing . they class a light living van as a caravan in regards the status .
at the moment we in uk can have caravans over 3,500kg gvw .but they shouldnt carry items ,tools ,vehicles not directly involved in the residancy of the vehicle .
as to accidents , i have a history og v112g forms stamped by dvla offices or post offices .and have been involved in an accident . my insurers saga accepted the mot exemption and sorted the claim . i was hit by a drunk driver in quateria in portugal . the gnr (portugese police) were involved and all accepted the mot status .
if you are wanting to know more either ring ross frost or me 07971962361 in the last 12 yrs i have been involved in living vans and mini artics , building and converting .
the last thing we want is a bad view of the interpretation of the rules . they are very good at the moment .
i always recommend that no one gives up their address in uk . always keep some type of address be it a rented room in a house .paying pepper corn rent . you have to be squeaky clean if you want to work the rules to give you the best route forward .

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

I think he's hinting that you may not have gone into this plan in any great depth. There are so many problems. Like MOT and roadfund licence which drags you back to the UK every year to stay legal.

Insurers who demand a UK address to issue a policy.

Insurers who will not insure outside the EU.

Insurers who will not insure fulltimers.

Then medical care. OK in the EU but The World ?

Post a message from Afghanistan when you get there.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Am I missing something or just being thick?

I thought the purpose of the MOT test was to test the safety of vehicles on the roads of the UK. How does the fact that someone is living in the vehicle fulltime affect this? Surely the same things can still go wrong.

Can someone please enlighten me...:Confused:

Phil

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the vehicle or trailer as to be kept road worthy at all times .
i suggest you have a look here Link Removed
there are many classes that are exempt . or try googling v112 thats for vehicles under 3,500kg .
its all interesting reading .
the one that makes me laugh is class 36 ...play buses . you would think a bus for children would have to tested much more frequent .
taxis very often need testing ever 6 months . yet a playbus never.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
the vehicle or trailer as to be kept road worthy at all times .
Surely that is the case with cars, motorhomes, vans, etc.. but the owners of these need the fact to be verified by an MOT tester. Why are living van owners trusted to do it without checks?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant answer that. but there are 35 other classes that are trusted as well.
historic vehicles or vehicles pre 1960 are either exempt or going to be . that was mentioned earlier this year.
i only want to abide by the rules . we just have to do that . i find them ok . dont have a problem . just keep every thing in tip top condition and smile nicely .
there are discrepancys already like m,homes with big garages .moted as class4 if they have large garages they could become a living van ,if over 3,500kg gvw should not be moted as class 4 . bet there will be some squealing then if vosa put a push on .

OP
OP
D

Duncanettekace

Free Member
Sep 19, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet.
Exp
Hi guys. I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. It was not a 'plan' just a query really. I am a Roma, I was born in a caravan in the New Forest Area.

I went to Uni up North, i always meant to have a gap year and travel, but, as so many of you know, sometimes life just gets in the way. I am 39 and am currently recovering from a potentially fatal illness. My only child has gone to Uni in Eastbourne so, I am finally free to give into my wanderlust and explore my Romani roots before I regret it.

Hubby and I own a 3 bed semi in Hampshire and have around £60,000 in equity with which to purchase a MH.

We will be joined by our gorgeous German Shepherd, Kacey.

Should my illness return, I know I will regret not travelling for a while. Just waiting for the docs to give me the go ahead then the bricks and mortar are going up for sale.

I never really considered going abroad however, reading some of your posts on the subject, I may soon feel brave enough to do so but probably won't be able to get medical insurance for another year.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the one that makes me laugh is class 36 ...play buses . you would think a bus for children would have to tested much more frequent .
Not when its parked on private land Alan.

in the true sense of the word it only becomes a play bus when stationary at events, gala's, festivals etc...the rest of the time its a regular vehicle.

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
Hi just do it you know you wont regret it

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi, I'm new here. Our only child has just left for Uni and, as we are empty nesters, we have put our 3 bed semi in the New Forest up for sale and [HI]are planning on Full Time Motor Homing.[/HI]

Hi guys. I think you have got the wrong end of the stick. [HI]It was not a 'plan' [/HI]just a query really. I am a Roma, I was born in a caravan in the New Forest Area.

so.. is it a plan or not ? :roflmto:

in any case, good luck with your[STRIKE] plan[/STRIKE] idea ..:thumb:

there may be many obsticals but none insurmountable.. stick with it .. there are plenty of 'fulltimers' and some like myself who gave it a shot.. and have most of the answers...
:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont be put off about medical insurance . i cant get it anyway with the big c . i also suffer other things .get a ehic and do it . lifes too short to not . but get the right type of vehicle and make life easy or hard . but you will need an address or use a site address .

Costington

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Lodnon
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
I Imported a VW Camper and did need an MOT test but there are some crucial items to looking at to make sure it is road worthy.

Last edited:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Is an M.O.T. test not the cheapest yearly inspection you whould want.
I whould hate to think there where untested motorhomes on the same road as me and my family.

Mel

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I Imported a VW Camper and[HI] did need [/HI]an MOT test but there are some crucial items to looking at to make sure it is road worthy.

Is an M.O.T. test not the cheapest yearly inspection you whould want.
I whould hate to think there where untested motorhomes on the same road as me and my family.

Mel

I think you misread the previous post Mel ... .. " did need" ... or were you referring to a previous one ?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a fulltimer I don't try to avoid things that are easy to do. I did hear about the exemptions for MOT and decided it wasn't worth the risk. After all it is my home. I want it to be safe and roadworthy not for any legal reasons but for my own safety.

Good luck with your plans and hopefully meet you on the road somewhere :thumb:

PS: Don't let anyone talk you out of it. There are of course lots of negatives to the lifestyle but each one has an equivalent for those living in fixed boring houses.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the thing that gets me with this full timing lark is its quite acceptable to live on a barge on the canal systems and not have a fixed address etc.

but why is there not a similar thing in place for motorhomers ????

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back