BlackBerry PlayBook - modifying (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Have read through the BB PB manual but can't find as yet how to remove apps/programs.

Have seen how to add a link and an app, but not how to remove or at least switch one off.

My thinking is less apps running the longer battery life? but maybe that's not right.

Most of the home page apps we wont use, and of course there's a few that we want to add, any ideas from the growing number of PlayBook owners?

Thanks

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Not familiar with the BB Playbook but the Google Nexus 7 allows you to remove Apps in Settings. Also try "holding" an App rather than "touching" it - it will almost certainly give you the opportunity of moving it and perhaps to a delete folder.

As regards saving battery life, most Apps are not running so just take a little memory.

Steve

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Have read through the BB PB manual but can't find as yet how to remove apps/programs.

Have seen how to add a link and an app, but not how to remove or at least switch one off.

My thinking is less apps running the longer battery life? but maybe that's not right.

Most of the home page apps we wont use, and of course there's a few that we want to add, any ideas from the growing number of PlayBook owners?

Thanks

There is a delete option in Appworld for all uninstallable apps. I can't walk you through it at the moment as I am not connected to the internet on my tablet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
To delete an app..

press and hold any app icon.. they will all 'pulse' , with a waste basket in the corner of each icon..

touch the waste basket and the app will uninstall

when finished deleting, touch anywhere on the screen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
To delete an app..

press and hold any app icon.. they will all 'pulse' , with a waste basket in the corner of each icon..

Trying that just now, the icons are all pulsing and 2 have a waste bin with them. The message that comes up is " This will remove the shortcut from your PlayBook " but not the program?

Will the next stage delete the entire program as that's what I would want?

As always, thank you

EDIT : tried a second app and this time the message was different "Are you sure you want to delete this app. All of the files and information associated with it will be deleted."

The app where only the shortcut could be removed was twitter but facebook deleted fully?

EDIT 2 : Only 3 apps will delete, but others I want to delete don't have a waste basket except for twitter which will only removes the shortcut.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Trying that just now, the icons are all pulsing and 2 have a waste bin with them. The message that comes up is " This will remove the shortcut from your PlayBook " but not the program?

Will the next stage delete the entire program as that's what I would want?

As always, thank you

I presume that the ones without waste bins can't be deleted by this method..

The apps I have removed are generally ones that I added and decided I didn't want .. they show the message
" Are you sure you want to delete this application ? All of the files and information associated will be deleted "
Options " Cancel and Delete"

I'll have a look at Crackberry for more info on deleting the original apps.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
To delete an app..

Thanks for that shortcut to deleting apps. I thought that only deleted the icon off the desktop.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A bit more info

When you delete an BB app it shows up as Undeleted in your App World. .. with the option to reinstall ..
Turn off the WiFi then the only thing visible is what is installed. The app is not on your device it is on App World servers, so it's not using any space.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
EDIT 2 : Only 3 apps will delete, but others I want to delete don't have a waste basket except for twitter which will only removes the shortcut.

I don't think you can uninstall pre installed apps .. such as Calendar, Clock, Contacts etc ..

Twitter isn't an App , only a browser shortcut ..

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
OK, I understand.

So not wanting YouTube and Music Store isn't an option then. Ah well can't have it all.

One option is to create a folder for unused/unwanted apps ..

Folders are created by dragging one app on top of another and then choosing a folder name. The folder icons even show the apps within.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Thanks

Update ....

I have found a way of deleting the pre installed 'protected' apps .

There is an extension for Chrome and Firefox called Blackberry Playbook Manager .. rather than me explain have a read here

http://gridbook.org/pb-app-mgr/

I have tried it and it works fine, can also be used for sideloading .. :thumb:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
OK, I understand.

So not wanting YouTube and Music Store isn't an option then. Ah well can't have it all.

No ...you cant not have it all :Smile:

But not wanting YouTube is like not liking Fray Bentos pies.....a sadness indeed !

barry:Smile:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
What are Fray Bentos pies Barry?

Thats a very deep question........akin to... is there a god ? do flying saucers exist ? or what impact has the goldfish had on Algerian Agrigculture ?

There is no simple answer ! All I know is the Steak and Kidney version is said to be suitable for vegetarians !

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thats a very deep question........akin to... is there a god ? do flying saucers exist ? or what impact has the goldfish had on Algerian Agrigculture ?

There is no simple answer ! All I know is the Steak and Kidney version is said to be suitable for vegetarians !

Not bad on flying saucers, have an inclin on goldfish and Algerian agriculture, but the rest not a clue, very sheltered life.

But leading you back gently to the actual subject, Barry, where are Fray Bentos pies in the scheme of things?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back