Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Our motorhome is a Sprinter van conversion so has lots of metal surfaces but I hate drilling holes into the surfaces.

My first use of magnets a couple of years ago was to attach a 'skirt' to the van. All I did was cut the fabric to the right size and the stick it on with magnets. Worked a treat and didn't have to drill any holes in the van exterior.

Next I used magnets to keep the three passenger seat belts out of the way in the behind-seat storage.

We have two LED lights which I adapted to fit into a groove in the ceiling. Then I had an idea - MAGNETS!! So now they are fully adjustable along the length of the metal strip above the seating/eating area!

My latest 'eureka' moment came yesterday when I was trying to think of a way to attach a new venetian blind we had made for the sliding door which has a full black-out blind but no screen. (We didn't want net curtains.) The solution again was to use magnets. But this time there was no metal to attach the magnets to (other than the venetian blinds themselves). So, I put one magnet behind the plastic panel and another in front!! It works fantastically and the venetian blinds can be removed easily as we only need the occasionally.:Cool:

Attachments

• magnets (11).JPG
    magnets (11).JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 145
  • magnets (8).JPG
    magnets (8).JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 141
  • magnets (2).JPG
    magnets (2).JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 136
  • magnets (3).JPG
    magnets (3).JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 132
  • magnets (4).JPG
    magnets (4).JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 129

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
These new(ish) neodymium magnets have to be experienced to be believed don't they ! A bit dangerous too. Keep your credit cards away.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No good if you want to head for Spain this year!

With all those magnets on board, your van will only point North!:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
That's all very cleverly done. I don't like drilling holes in the van if I can avoid it so have tended to use velcro for fixing a few items.
Wyn

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have a few velcroed accessories!

Also good for stopping the TV/satellite remote from sliding around the TV cabinet!:thumb:

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I think hilldweller and johnandshell have over active imaginations. The only things that'll get stuck to me are the cash machines at the aires :winky:
It'd be my luck that the'd all be credit card machines :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
:Eeek:
If you want a serious conversation go to .......MH....:shout:
Or maybe not.
Who's John Smith?
Is he 'magnetized'?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
As always on this all encompassing forum...... things tend to deviate.....

and the opinions on the OP tend to become very "Polarised"...........:RollEyes::RollEyes:

That surely is part of the attraction.......

:winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
graham .i think many have forgotten magnet ales . used to be in big writting on the cecil pub in warmsworth . might even have been the first words i could read . certainly i remember them words and the cecil pub is my mental picture as i say magnet ales .

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
3M does a good line in fixings. Sort of a Super Velcro, we've hung a Mirror with them, easily removed when you need to. B&Q and Homebase sell them (under a fiver)

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Aha - someone serious at last :roflmto:

Yes, I've considered all sorts. I have a big range of stuff from super glue, araldite, no nails to sticky tabs and velcro. I just happened to have a load of magnets. Probably wouldn't have thought of it otherwise!:winky:

On another tack:RollEyes:

I've been trying to find a way to stick down a gutter strip which has come away, that goes around two tight curves. I've followed threads various double sided tapes and adhesives and phoned 3M but had given up. Then I noticed in my tool box a small roll of tape - mega sticky - and it's done the job!:Doh:

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Magnets...cont'd to do with the Original Post !!

Sorry to go back to the original post:RollEyes: & those 'Neo....m' super strong BUT rather fragile magnets [apparently..should NOT be dropped on hard surfaces-or they break !]...Probably like a few others I have always attached these Magnets to the SUMPS of the M/H + Toad ...next to or ON the drain Plug.
Not really a new idea....British Leyland used to put small Magnets in their drilled out sump plugs on their cars.....amazing how much Metallic sludge came out at Oil Change :Eeek:

BETTER THAN LETTING THE OIL CONTINUE AROUND THE ENGINE......me thinks:thumb:

David Liz + 'Achmed'..[4 legged ickle monster]

OP
OP
ojibway

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion