Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Last week I went to wind my Fiamma awning out its never given me any hassle but this time it didn't want to play.I started to unwind ,it came out about a foot maybe 18 inches and stopped solid tried a few times winding in and out with no luck.So I got on a step looked at both ends all appeared fine tried winding it out and tried a little tugging still no joy so I wound it in and left it until I returned home.When home I removed both end caps wound it out as much as possible and started looking poking tugging e.t.c little oil little muscle some gentle swearing still no movement.
I was now getting pretty frustrated and was trying to pull it out with force when I realised it appeared to me stuck in middle then BINGO I find a small stone wrapped in canopy.Must have got on top and when I last wound awning in I was in a hurry as the wind had got up.So I had to work out how to remove stone took a while to suss out but eventually I got it removed.Put awning all back together giving it a little lubrication here and there.Then wound it out but it wasn't coming out very freely so partially back apart checking this and that etc.Then I was nearly 100% happy it was working as good as it was I snapped the ratchet the air was blue my awnings fully wound out its getting windy and its starting to rain.I quickly removed some bits made a bodge and got awning closed and van parked up.
So I search the net for the parts needed find to likely company's likely to carry parts ready to ring in morning.So Monday comes phone Fiamma stockist and order parts "be with you Wednesday sir" all in stock great stuff.Get home from work Wednesday jiffy bag on table opens it up 1 wrong part straight on phone Lad says "I see what's happened don't worry part be in post in morning"Now for some reason I thought I will phone and check parts been sent.Phones Stockist nobody knows anything about it I calmly explain again and person promises me they will sort it out for me on Friday and ring me to let me know what's happening.Lady rings me Friday morning as promised apologises that she cant get part sent next day but its being sent 1st class and should be with me tommorow (Saturday)
Well Saturday comes I think better not go out posty be here with my part so I set to work in the garden bell rings posty at door with a jiffy rips it open WRONG PART :cry:
I calmly speak to stockist they cant do anything person I need to speak to had day off

Moral of this long and boring story check your awning before winding it in I wish I had and always will for now on £100 pound in parts about 6 hours of my time for one stone about size of a thumb nail.Thanks for listening/reading had to get it of me chest I will try to keep calm on phone tommorow

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi

We once wound in awning with tree branches in it lucky no damage was done as noticed before fully in, also wound it in once then back out at next site and couldn't work out what the funny shape was embedded into awning and discovered the shuttlecock we lost the night before was in the awning:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: thankfully it was only a plastic one and again no damage done.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi

We once wound in awning with tree branches in it lucky no damage was done as noticed before fully in, also wound it in once then back out at next site and couldn't work out what the funny shape was embedded into awning and discovered the shuttlecock we lost the night before was in the awning:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: thankfully it was only a plastic one and again no damage done.

You always got to be careful not to loose your shuttlecock when playing at night.......:RollEyes::RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
should of bought the parts from John's cross as you would get a discount as a funster and speak to a fitter in their workshop for advice, saving hours of guessing

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I chose 2 people to ring to see if they had parts this company told me they had parts.But another company dropped shipped wrong parts twice no name mentioned but I did get 5% funster discount :winky:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
A similar thing happened to one of our roller blinds. Ours are the pull up from the bottom type.
One of the kids had complained that their blind , next to the bunk was stuck half way. Ralph ended up having to strip it all down taking the outer casing off , as he couldnt budge it either way.
Turned out it was a £1 coin that had gone down and under the roller jamming it stuck. :RollEyes:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I chose 2 people to ring to see if they had parts this company told me they had parts.But another company dropped shipped wrong parts twice no name mentioned but I did get 5% funster discount :winky:

So that is why Peter has not been posting telling you who to ring:Doh:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
A similar thing happened to one of our roller blinds. Ours are the pull up from the bottom type.
One of the kids had complained that their blind , next to the bunk was stuck half way. Ralph ended up having to strip it all down taking the outer casing off , as he couldnt budge it either way.
Turned out it was a £1 coin that had gone down and under the roller jamming it stuck. :RollEyes:

At least you got paid for the repair :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

All the best Rick

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Well the correct part arrived today I assembled it all and awning wouldn't wind out or in Made a few adjustments and got it working but not perfect. Fiddled around some more and next thing it comes flying out like a rocket and the right arm cracks where it folds so cant wind it fully in at moment and just seen the part is over £170 quid :Doh Oh well just adds to the happiness the wife caused by kerbing the alloy on the car :Sad: Happy Days NOT

So unsure now as to what to do do I buy the bit ? or buy a new awning I am £100 down already if i stump up another 170ish i still may not have a perfect awning any ideas thoughts ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back