Cover for winter, which is best (1 Viewer)

elizabethh7802

Free Member
Mar 7, 2012
oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
We were looking at buying a cover after finally solving all our leaks (we hope!)
The Protec ones look great but money is an issue for us and so we cannot afford £400.
Looked at the the regular ones that are around £100, are these any good.
The other option is the top cover but again are they any good?
The other question is what do you do about your solar panels. We have one on top and also use one to keep our engine battery topped up but obviously if we cover them up this is an issue?
What cover do you have and what are the pros and cons?
Thanks for your replies
Liz

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We never use a cover, it only creates problems, chaffing in the wind, noise if outside the door, and covering your solar panels. If the van is watertight why do you need it?

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Totally agree with wildman, have never used one, I have seen the damage done by too many covers on motorhomes, caravans and cars.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Trust me ,forget the cover, we started to use one of the expensive ones when we bought our first new caravan, unless you have the caravan/van absolutely spotless you will get chaffing marks in the bodywork and dust can work it's way up the sides, with all the faffing about whenever you wish to use the van it either ends up in a heap in the garage or you end up not using the van as often as you would like too.
All is not lost though we ended up using a product called FENWICKS OVERWINTERING FLUID great stuff when applied it leaves a coating like a very thin virtually invisible coat of wax, this helps to stop the gunge and dirt sticking to your paintwork and will just wash off with a strong solution of thier motorhome cleaner, best bit is the van is still usable at anytime as it is and I assume your solar panels will still do thier job. ...........Mark

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We use no cover at any time-hopefully we will be in Spain or Algarve all winter this year ::bigsmile:
Even if in UK van is used all year round.
Mike.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Back in the days when we had two cars we tried a cover on the one parked outside the garage as an alternative to just covering the front and rear windows in frosty weather. I found the cover in a heap under a table in the garage (where it had been for years) a couple of months ago and got rid of it.

We never covered our first van in winter and don't intend starting now - but we do intend using it as much as possible all year round.

Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
Interesting but guess where our TV aireal is on the house what sits on it for toilet purposes. Appart from assasination how do people deal with this . A small cover?
Mike:Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting but guess where our TV aireal is on the house what sits on it for toilet purposes. Appart from assasination how do people deal with this . A small cover?

Oops! We have deposits left on our van sometimes - less now that I've cut some high tree branches off. It might be easier/cheaper - and a lot less faffing about - to have the aerial moved :Smile:

Oct 24, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
a class I think
Exp
10 months
Unfortunately cant move the aireal or the house.Or the driveway, fornt lawn to small no access from the rear of the property.
Mike

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

A small air rifle:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
regarding the bird poo issue can u not fix a small ledge to the side of the house angled upwards with a small gutter so what lands on it washes towards the house wall down into the gutter and away instead of on the roof of the motorhome.
a bit like a mini car port.

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Unfortunately cant move the aireal or the house.Or the driveway, fornt lawn to small no access from the rear of the property.
Mike
We had same problem (assuming you have ordinary type aerial) so we changed to freesat dish in different place areial gone solved.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years

The Fenwicks overwintering fluid that I suggested in an earlier post will prevent the birds...t sticking to your roof, it's easy to apply just mix with water and put it in a garden sprayer give the roof a good coating on a dry day and thats it,

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
The Fenwicks overwintering fluid that I suggested in an earlier post will prevent the birds...t sticking to your roof, it's easy to apply just mix with water and put it in a garden sprayer give the roof a good coating on a dry day and thats it,

the only problem i see here is finding a dry day :Doh::Doh::Doh:

Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Trust me ,forget the cover, we started to use one of the expensive ones when we bought our first new caravan, unless you have the caravan/van absolutely spotless you will get chaffing marks in the bodywork and dust can work it's way up the sides, with all the faffing about whenever you wish to use the van it either ends up in a heap in the garage or you end up not using the van as often as you would like too.
All is not lost though we ended up using a product called FENWICKS OVERWINTERING FLUID great stuff when applied it leaves a coating like a very thin virtually invisible coat of wax, this helps to stop the gunge and dirt sticking to your paintwork and will just wash off with a strong solution of thier motorhome cleaner, best bit is the van is still usable at anytime as it is and I assume your solar panels will still do thier job. ...........Mark

Do you wax the van as well or is Fenwicks overwintering fluid all that you use? I am planning on trying to wax the van a couple of times a year - and am wondering if using Fenwicks will add anything to that - or whether the wax on its own will be enough?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back