Sarat

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
Waterford, Ireland
Funster No
MH
rv hi top
Exp
Hi, My name is Sadie. My husband, Paul and I are newbies. We are going to France on Tuesday the 18th and are hoping to meet fellow club members. We are sailing from Roslare to Cherbourg. This is our first time taking the van out of Ireland and we are a bit unsure of ourselves. I'm sure a lot of you will know how we feel. We are a funloving couple in our very early 60s and would love to meet and chat to other campervaners. we just joined today, so would appreciate any tips or advice. We are motorhoming for 2 years in Ireland, but not a lot. We have a Fiat Ducata Lunar Roadstar 01 reg.

Last edited:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Hi Sadie & Paul and :welcome:

from Normandie

:france:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
HI, welcome

You will love France, easier than driving in the UK, many more places to stay.

Avoid the toll roads, the main roads are quiet and better surfaced than ours.

Enjoy your trip (I'm sure you will)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hi

I don't think being you first time or your 21st time makes andy difference to whether you run into (not literally hpefully) other forum members or not - we've been over there 9 or 10 times since we joined the forum 3 ish years ago, and have never yet seen another van with a Motorhomefun sticker - I always specifically check British vans for that!

We seem to speak to one heck of a lot more Dutch people than we do English or French, the language barrier being the main prob with the French whereas most Dutch people have more than a smattering of English - although we had small conversations with several of our French neighbours during this last month. In fact just last Monday we managed quite a long chat to a couple parked next to us in Seurre about various caves we'd each visited in France and also the various benefits and pitfalls of each of our vans - they had an Adria. I commented elsewhere that it's the most French I've ever actually comprehended and spoken in one go, since my GCE O level Oral exam in 1966 ! It was good !

We can all manage a cheery Bonjour to everyone we pass along the way anyway, I'm sure!

Plus when the chap at the tyre fitting place discovered why one of our tyres kept going down, by discovering the fat 2 ins long bolt embedded in it - even my husband managed to speak French quite immediately and naturally. Oh MERDE! he said ......

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Hi Sadie and welcome. We are off to France on the 18th as well, taking the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry and then takin three days to get down to somewhere in Provence for a month. This will be our longest trip away and hope that the house will be sold in the meantime!
all the best for your journey.
Paul

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hi and welcome Sadie-you will love France ::bigsmile:
We go from Dover-Dunkirk on Mon. morn and will be heading to Vosges region to visit the Lalique museum at Wingen-sur-Moder before heading into Luxemburg and then on into Germany and down the Mosel.
We hope to meet up with Funsters en-route and tentative arrangements have been made ::bigsmile:
Good luck-enjoy.

Mike.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi & :welcome:

I would say not to try to travel too far in one day, avoid toll roads unless you need to get some miles in and just go with the flow.
Have always found French people very friendly and helpful although as always it does help to try to speak a little French even if just basic Bonjour etc. We have also found that most nationality campers are friendly especially if you break the ice :thumb:
If staying on campsites, most are very good and welcoming. Aires are brilliant if just wanting a night stopover.

Don't worry. Just enjoy. You will love it.

Happy Travels

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
I went on my first trip to France in June, loed the country and the people, looking foreward to next year..............Del

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
If you visit the Limousin, pop into see us at Parc Verger (www.parcverger.com) - we have Funsters on site, and there's a Funster discount if you stay over!:thumb:
Bob

There I was relaxing at home on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon and you go and make this post........all. I did was open the link and now I'm itching to get down there!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back