Drivers door on European A class (1 Viewer)

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
Me again.

Is it common for A class vehicles imported from Europe in RHD config. to have the drivers door remain on the left hand side? i.e. it becomes the passenger door and no door except habitation on right hand side.

Any one got any comments on Lowdham Leisureworld of gunthorpe as dealers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
British built A class.....if there are any still made and i think Machzone were the last ones....all have the drivers door on the right, for obvious reasons.
the hab door is always on the left.

mainland European built vans will have the hab door on the right on both RHD (export) and LHD (domestic) models.

the idea is you will always, in the country of origin at least, step onto the footpath side from the hab door and not into traffic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
British built A class.....if there are any still made....all have the drivers door on the right, for obvious reasons.
the hab door is always on the left.

mainland European built vans will have the hab door on the right on both RHD (export) and LHD (domestic) models.

the idea is you will always, in the country of origin at least, step onto the footpath side from the hab door and not into traffic.

Understand the Hab door stays on the right ,do they not come with a drivers door when RHD?
As you say no one wants to step into traffic , our hab doors are all on the left here.
Even in the semi intergrated i was looking at before the hab door was on the right but being a van conversion it had both drivers and passenger doors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I dont think many European A class have a drivers or passengers door at all...left or right hand drive.
just the hab door for all access.

OP
OP
K

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
I dont think many European A class have a drivers or passengers door at all...left or right hand drive.
just the hab door for all access.

The model I am looking at has a drivers door as part of an optional package , which includes other features such as cab air conditioning. Bit pointless though if it's on the lefthand side:RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think if its an optional, and expensive, extra it will be on the same side as the steering wheel...regardless of drive side

in my experience they arent worth the trouble fitting one.

my American A class has a drivers door, obviously on the l/h side, but is too high to be of any real use having a single step built in the bodywork which is a bit flimsy to say the least.

i only really use it to access the floor mounted (between seat and door) hydraulic control panel for the levelling jacks and slide-out.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My Burstner a hab door and a drivers door. I think most Burstners are this way.
Kiwi's question is regarding which side will the drivers door be on if the van is an optional right hand drive model.

will the builders fit the drivers door on the right hand side...or will it remain on the left as per domestic model.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
On our Hymer we have a drivers door on the left hand side even though it's a right hand drive. We never use it at all we only use the hab door.

If it was an extra we wouldn't pay for it. I have seen some A Classes with no doors except the hab door.

Sonja

OP
OP
K

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
On our Hymer we have a drivers door on the left hand side even though it's a right hand drive. We never use it at all we only use the hab door.

If it was an extra we wouldn't pay for it. I have seen some A Classes with no doors except the hab door.

Sonja

Cheers . most helpful.
Our plans are starting to come together now. hymer is our preffered option.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Sonja
thats what i suspected.

the European manufacturers arent going to have two versions of the body (left and right handed doors) when the right hand drive model will be low volume sales.....far to expensive to do.

OP
OP
K

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
thats what i suspected.

the European manufacturers arent going to have two versions of the body (left and right handed doors) when the right hand drive model will be low volume sales.....far to expensive to do.

i believe Rapido offer it as an option at about 2K

OP
OP
K

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
two thousand quid for a door......they're having a laugh aint they !!!!

Pretty expensive but probably justifiable for resale value once vehicle is back in NZ.
As you say problem is Hab door means you are stepping out into traffic.

Our idea is that if this trip is successful , we will do it again in a couple of years and travel the continent .
Will sell the hymer in NZ to help fund the trip.

Sep 27, 2007
dundee
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since early 70s
my Euramobil is right hand drive andi have both driver and passenger doors. Habitation door is on offside of vehicle so have to be carefull when exiting in UK.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Kiwi's question is regarding which side will the drivers door be on if the van is an optional right hand drive model.

will the builders fit the drivers door on the right hand side...or will it remain on the left as per domestic model.

Strangely enough I assumed since I called it a drivers door it was obvious.
But anyway it is on the offside. So the correct side for the UK

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Me again.

Is it common for A class vehicles imported from Europe in RHD config. to have the drivers door remain on the left hand side? i.e. it becomes the passenger door and no door except habitation on right hand side.

Any one got any comments on Lowdham Leisureworld of gunthorpe as dealers.

My previous van was a RHD Burstner Elegance 821. Only cab door was on the left. Driver's side just had a sliding window with the gas locker below. Later models have 2 cab doors.

Re Lowdham's: suggest a thorough read of the thread entitled Are we the only ones having after sales problems Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
K

kiwicamper

Free Member
Jun 8, 2009
christchurch NZ
Funster No
MH
fully intergrated
Exp
since 2000
My previous van was a RHD Burstner Elegance 821. Only cab door was on the left. Driver's side just had a sliding window with the gas locker below. Later models have 2 cab doors.

Re Lowdham's: suggest a thorough read of the thread entitled Are we the only ones having after sales problems Broken Link Removed
Lowdhams judging by that thread are a bit dodgy:whatthe:
Our other option is Highbridge caravans in Somerset any similar bad reviews of them?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Highbridge are very good dealers and extremely helpful - I certainly woudl recommend them - when we bought our former Chausson Flash 04 new in 2010 we drove 250 miles to get it from them, partly due to the great price but also because they were a good dealer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back