Mirror Guards - to buy or not to buy ? (1 Viewer)

annadg

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I'm new to it
They are quite expensive, but are they worth it ? Not that we actually INTEND to drive into things but ... will they protect the mirrors if we do (a hedge for instance when having to get over a bit ?

Anyone have views ?
anna

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
most trucks make them from a piece of stailess or thick aliminium . might be worth a thought .

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We bought them and yes they are expensive but they have saved our mirrors a few times having to drive close to hedges to avoid white van man, have hit a few really thick branches (not me,Tez) and definitely would have broken them so saved around £300 each mirror.
Plus the inconvenience of sourcing them and fitting them.
Plus the danger of driving without a mirror should one get broken.
They fit snugly onto the mirror with really strong double sided adhesive pads.
Dare say they could be taken off but it would be a hard job and might damage them in the process but going to try when we change our van to put on the the new one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Well it's mirror related. My Peugeot Boxer mirrors give me great visibility down the sides . Sometimes as you know we need to move quite close to bushes etc as some other vehicles pay more road tax than us and are therefore entitled to more of the road. The one thing I can't see is the few inches my awning sticks out. Is the best thing to rectify this a blindspot mirror positioned so I can see it or is there something better?

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We bought them and yes they are expensive but they have saved our mirrors a few times having to drive close to hedges to avoid white van man, have hit a few really thick branches (not me,Tez) and definitely would have broken them so saved around £300 each mirror.

Our mirrors have 'travel scars' which do remind us of the occasions ::bigsmile:
We have had two really hard knocks (one from a girder on a bridge over the Loire,and one from M'sieur white van Man )
Both times it was the actual bracket that broke and I think that would have happened with or without mirror guards.Fortunately,on both occasions I was able to 'bunjee' the mirror back into position and use clear tape to hold the cracked glass in position so that we could continue.
So,I wonder if mirror guards would have cracked under that impact and added extra cost to the replacement. ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Upvote 0

denpar

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki
Exp
4 years
having had one mirror written off on the old motorhome we invested in a pair of protectors to put on the new one, cost is minimal compared to the cost of a new mirror unit and the arguments that would entail in the interior of the van ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use two of these blind spot mirrors , bought them at a show, they really work well. I have no blind spots at all now, which is important as I am left hand drive so can't look over my shoulder to see traffic on the right of me. [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Milenco-Aero-Blind-Spot-Towing-Mirror/dp/B003Q3FRE2[/ame]

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Don't buy Mirror Guards just yet. I think I can arrange some Funster discount from the company that sells them, I will see him next weekend:thumb:

Upvote 0

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Mirror guards

They definately won't survive the being swiped by machinery on the back of Mr Tractorman's tractor, as I have recently found out to my cost.:Angry:

Upvote 0

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Anna
We had them on the van we just traded in, couldnt take them off to much damage behind from two previous encounters :winky: We will prob buy them again for the new one yes they are a bit costly but a lot cheaper than new mirrors. Pete

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2007
West Yorks occasionally
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2007
Currently in Bad Durkheim for the Wine Festival. Have just had our Mirrorguards tested by some kind SUV driver on the German motorway, who decided to cut us up. He/she hit the side of the van with a hell of a thump and sped off. Got out expecting to find some damage, but only a slight scratch on the Mirrorguard - definitely glad I bought them.

Have a friend who has just changed vans, we got the Mirrorguards off, with a lot of tugging. Guards are ok but will need new sticking pads to refix.

Upvote 0

gorsty

Free Member
Aug 17, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I did 13 months USA and Canada brought it back to Blighty first mile and a truck thought he liked my mirrors better and took it right of i could have got no closer to the curb if i tried mind you i could have gone on the pavement :Sad:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back