Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
FYI, Today I have just fitted a short arm mirror to the O/S of my M/H, it is a Fiat Ducato based Swift Bolero, on which the body only extends about 2" out past the doors, I was able to source a mirror that I was able to try before purchasing,I found I had full view behind, I doubt if you would get away with a short mirror on the N/S due to the angle the mirror has to be set at.:thumb:

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
FYI, Today I have just fitted a short arm mirror to the O/S of my M/H, it is a Fiat Ducato based Swift Bolero, on which the body only extends about 2" out past the doors, I was able to source a mirror that I was able to try before purchasing,I found I had full view behind, I doubt if you would get away with a short mirror on the N/S due to the angle the mirror has to be set at.:thumb:

You obviously have a very good reason for fitting the short arm mirror, but why ?, the mirrors fitted as OE are fantastic, giving you very good rearward vision at all angles, unless its an older model of Swift. :drink:

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Mirrors

You obviously have a very good reason for fitting the short arm mirror, but why ?, the mirrors fitted as OE are fantastic, giving you very good rearward vision at all angles, unless its an older model of Swift. :drink:
We have a 2010 Swift Bolero, so it is the latest shape, the obvious reason for fitting the short arm mirror is to reduce Mr Tractor/van man's efforts to repeat the damage that meant this new mirror.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I knew there had to be a good reason and it certainly is !!!!!!!!!, its amazing how some of these "drivers ? ", pass their driving test, not three weeks ago I had a similar experience going along a minor road to a site, I spotted a bin lorry coming along at a fair speed towards me, as there was a parked car on his side of the road he should have pulled up to let me through, but sixth sense kicked in so I pulled up and flashed him through, the ba**ard never slowed, never awknowledged the courtesy, didnt position himself in the road and clipped my mirror, thank god it just clicked back on the "fold in " position so no damage, only by luck though,
So I really do understand your reason, hopefully the last unfortunate occassion!
Happy Motorhoming,
Ken the Beerdrinker :thumb: :beerchug:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Pretty much anything that sticks out of the side of your van is going to get clobbered sometime. I've been through two mirrors and a few top rear markers almost as routine. Add to that a cracked side skirt negotiating a tight corner with a low wall, and the recent complete loss of my water heater's vent cover and I've just about completed the set.

In the end I replaced the square boxy rear top markers with a couple of smooth rounded ones and have had no further trouble with foliage.

My mirror nightmare is the main street of Bala, with all its diagonally-parked cars and farm trucks. That's hard work on a busy weekend.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Started a thread and posed a question having recently had a brush with van man (luckily he only took out my indicator lens and suffered some small cracks to the outer casing now araldited) I asked in view of the price of long arm Ducato mirrors had anyone replaced theirs with short arm versions which are almost half the price?

One reply suggested their could be insurance issues with this in the event of an accident! MY MH is 2.3m wide and I believe fitting short versions would not impair rearward vision.

Last edited:
OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Fiat Mirrors

Started a thread and posed a question having recently had a brush with van man (luckily he only took out my indicator lens and suffered some small cracks to the outer casing now araldited) I asked in view of the price of long arm Ducato mirrors had anyone replaced theirs with short arm versions which are almost half the price?

One reply suggested their could be insurance issues with this in the event of an accident! MY MH is 2.3m wide and I believe fitting short versions would not impair rearward vision.
Luckily I was able to "borrow" a short arm mirror through connections in the trade, and offer it up before purchasing, I am pleased to say that my view rearwards is as good as before even with the narrower mirror, I think that the origional arms are way too long, much longer than needed, hence their vulnerability.
I fail to see why insurance is affected, as my rearward view is as good as before, though less vulnerable, may be a bit of a dilemma if(when) the N
/S one is mangled somehow!

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
Our new Carioca has the transit cab and as standard the smaller type mirrors, they work perfectly and are reasonably priced for replacement, should the need arise.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Luckily I was able to "borrow" a short arm mirror through connections in the trade, and offer it up before purchasing, I am pleased to say that my view rearwards is as good as before even with the narrower mirror, I think that the origional arms are way too long, much longer than needed, hence their vulnerability.
[HI]I fail to see why insurance is affected,[/HI] as my rearward view is as good as before, though less vulnerable, may be a bit of a dilemma if(when) the N
/S one is mangled somehow!
Possibly because it might be classed as a modification? Especially if the insurance company isn't notified?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back