Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
More Info:

"The £159 UK price for the 7in Kindle Fire HD is identical to that of the Google Nexus 7 8GB tablet although its hard disk is twice the size at 16GB. (The 16GB Nexus is £199, as is the 32GB Fire HD.) Like the Nexus, though, it appears to lack an SD slot to expand onboard storage. Amazon boasts that the new machine features a new high-definition LCD display, Imagination PowerVR 3D graphics, custom Dolby audio, a front-facing HD camera, two Wi-Fi antennas and stereo speakers. As well as a smaller hard disk, the cheaper version lacks some of its big brother's connectivity.

The new tablets (UK release date 25 October) enter a crowded field. As well as the Nexus, the 7in Kindle Fire HD will soon have competition in the shape of the Kobo Arc, which is expected to have similar spec and pricing and is due for release in November, as well as Microsoft's Surface which is likely to retail in the US for $199 (£125) when it is released next month.

The 16GB ($299) and 32GB ($499) 8.9in models with the more powerful 1.5GHz processor will go head-to-head with Apple's iPad and will have optional 4G connectivity. These appear to be restricted to the US for now.
Amazon also announced a new Kindle e-reader – the Paperwhite – with a sharper display, extended battery life and illuminated touchscreen, allowing it to be used in the dark. This takes on Barnes & Noble's Nook GlowLight and soon-to-be-released Kobo Glo e-readers.

Read more: http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news...ets-get-october-uk-release-date#ixzz25n4GuiwW
Computing - Insight for IT leaders Claim your free subscription today. "

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If I recall correctly the original Kindle Fire was based on and made by the same company who produced the Blackberry Playbook.

It is now down to £129 for a 64GB model.

You can have the full Amazon experience on the Playbook and run Android apps. The same is not true the other way round.

I still think the Playbook at £129 is better value.

I will be doing a review of it for my blog (when it finally arrives).

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19509626

Should be an interesting few months in the tablet market. I have a Kindle. Excellent piece of kit. Wonder if this new version be usable as a tablet. No mention of battery life. Good price though.

Amazon says
Kindle Fire HD is optimised to deliver high performance with low battery consumption, delivering over 11 hours of watching videos, browsing the web, playing music, or reading.

Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh so to speak

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back