lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just watching it Jim very sad news, shocked at the fact the little girl was in the car for 8 hours before being found,

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's shocking.

God knows what that poor young girl witnessed.

There are some desperate mad b@stards around.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That second article is lazy Jim - it's rubbish too.

I fail to see why a British van is an easier target than a Dutch or German van. They are all on holiday.

I decided this year that I wasn't stopping for anyone including cops.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
According to the BBC website there were 2 young girls in the car. One critically injured and the other who was only 4:Sad:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
All very sad...
However, a Brit car doesn't mean it was neccessarily a British family inside.
I suspect this was more than just a robbery. I suspect a drugs or gang connection to this incident.

I wonder how long it will be before an enterprising accessory firm produces kevlar armour plates for motorhomes amid the hysteria?

Last edited:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Link Removed

"She could not tell the difference between the good guys and bad guys. She spontaneously began to smile and speak in English when the policeman took her in his arms and pulled her out of the car."

Goodness what a trauma for this little 4 year old after hiding under her Mum and Grandmother it beggers belief what she has gone through.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
They are suggesting on the news that the people in the car and the cyclists were Brits, along with the suggestion that the car was sprayed with gunshot. The road they were found on was off the tourist trail and driving further on was prohibited.

I suspect that robbery was not a motive, well not from the location...
Why were both the women in the back seats along with the child?
Who was in the empty front seat?

If the cyclist was a Brit as was suggested, the odds of that compared to a French cyclist all sounds rather strange.

Its all very sad, but, I suspect there is a lot more to come out.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
They are suggesting on the news that the people in the car and the cyclists were Brits, along with the suggestion that the car was sprayed with gunshot. The road they were found on was off the tourist trail and driving further on was prohibited.

If the cyclist was a Brit as was suggested, the odds of that compared to a French cyclist all sounds rather strange.

All speculation but an astute observation.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp

The 7 year old might have been in the front seat as there were two little girls --7 and 4.
its all very sad and I expect the story will unfold in the next few days.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
All speculation but an astute observation.

Indeed, news from Sky, Mother, Father, Granny and granddaughter. They appear to be at the end of the road, the road was described as dangerous, why would you drive down there? Especially when the sign was in French, English and Germany

They were reported missing by British campers next to them, so that suggests that there was no grandfather.

Children would normally in the UK and France travel in the back, so the empty front seat is strange.

One would have thought that if the motive was robbery then the simple threat would have been sufficient especially when a child and elderly person is involved, the level of violence against this family is so big and suggests that there could be another motive.

The media are having a go at the French police for not finding the child earlier, I find that harsh, the child was not moving, there was obviously carnage and they needed to take steps to secure the crime scene, forensically examine the site and take it slowly as not to miss anything. The initial examination did not suggest any survivors, so there was no rush to rescue anyone.

Ah well more will come out in the next few hours.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
The 7 year old might have been in the front seat as there were two little girls --7 and 4.
its all very sad and I expect the story will unfold in the next few days.

France
Children in cars: children under 10 are only allowed in the front seats if there are no rear seats or the rear seats are already fully occupied with children under 10, or there are no seat belts. If a child must travel in the front under the above circumstances then they cannot be placed in the front seats with their back to the direction of travel if the vehicle is fitted with a passenger airbag, unless it is deactivated. They must travel in an approved child seat or restraint adapted to their size. In the rear they must use a proper restraint system appropriate to their weight, which means a child seat if they weigh between 9 and 15 kg. Over this weight they can use seat belts with a booster cushion.

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
France
Children in cars: children under 10 are only allowed in the front seats if there are no rear seats or the rear seats are already fully occupied with children under 10, or there are no seat belts. If a child must travel in the front under the above circumstances then they cannot be placed in the front seats with their back to the direction of travel if the vehicle is fitted with a passenger airbag, unless it is deactivated. They must travel in an approved child seat or restraint adapted to their size. In the rear they must use a proper restraint system appropriate to their weight, which means a child seat if they weigh between 9 and 15 kg. Over this weight they can use seat belts with a booster cushion.

Ahhh thanks for that --so that is funny that both girls were sitting in the back with the 2 women then unless they were breaking the law and had one in front.
We cant speculate and must wait for the full story to be revealed.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
The cyclist killed in the shooting is being named by French media as Sylvain Mollier, a father-of-three in his 40s from Ugine en Savoie.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
According to local media, police are investigating links between the shooting and two attempted car-jackings by an armed gang 50 miles away on the same night.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Police have named the father of the British family shot dead in France as Saad Al-Hilli from London:Sad:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
This one is getting stranger.

News reports suggest that Swedish and Iraqi passports had been recovered along with the driver’s British passport.

Why so many passports, also the method of killing suggests that this may not have been a robbery gone wrong.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Stranger and stranger, they live in what looks like a million quid house only been here a few years and now the 3 adults have all been shot center head.Sounds more like execution than robbing to me
Terry

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
One presenter on the local radio was trying to make out it is dangerous to drive a UK reg. vehicle in France. She was really laying it on thick and inviting listeners to phone in their experiences. Needless to say there were lots of numtys getting their two minutes of fame. Irresponsible reporting at its worst.
The only ones targeting me whilst driving in France have been the cops!

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
A couple of 'questions' ...

The car was full of luggage on a short trip up a lane to a forest popular with walkers, leading nowhere else - caravan empty - why take your luggage for a walk in the woods.

How come the 'ex-RAF chappie',(no.2) who lives in the area and who was overtaken by the local cyclist (no.1) 10 minutes prior to reaching the scene, didn't hear any shots? (bearing in mind no.1 couldn't have been going much faster than no.2) - :whatthe:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004

The car was full of luggage on a short trip up a lane to a forest popular with walkers, leading nowhere else - caravan empty - why take your luggage for a walk in the woods.

How come the 'ex-RAF chappie',(no.2) who lives in the area and who was overtaken by the local cyclist (no.1) 10 minutes prior to reaching the scene, didn't hear any shots? (bearing in mind no.1 couldn't have been going much faster than no.2) - :whatthe:
silenced weapon perhaps:Doh:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Perhaps :RollEyes:

But matey on the overtaking bike must've been shifting to be able to get far enough ahead to witness the scene, get shot, then for the perpetrators to scarper, with ex-RAF chappie still pedalling... he could only be minutes behind - very few minutes in fact...

Last edited:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Perhaps :RollEyes:

But matey on the overtaking bike must've been shifting to be able to get far enough ahead to witness the scene, get shot, then for the perpetrators to scarper, with ex-RAF chappie still pedalling... he could only be minutes behind - very few minutes in fact...
dont know,could have been the butler in the study with a knife,as far as we know:winky:
the full facts will come out and then all the speculation will end,at the moment its just a tragic incident:Sad:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004

could be that he loaded the car and desided to have one last look around before heading home, as his kids were possibly back at school monday:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back