Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
I know it would annoy some people on here :Angry:
but........

I've just ordered a Kipor IG 2000 Digital genny ::bigsmile:

Cant wait to get it ! It will help us to enjoy Scotland later on in the summer, and too save money on paying for campsites. The money saved on sites will go towards fuel :cry::cry:

I have given carfull consideration for solar, even had a book from the library, but why people spend so much money on solar is not IMO viable.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I have given carfull consideration for solar, even had a book from the library, but why people spend so much money on solar is not IMO viable.

:Cool: I am an ex (for the moment) Wild camper. I have always (while being a Wild camper) had Solar power & generators. We are currently on a camp site with 16 amp power supply. We are STILL using our Solar power for our MAIN power supply. It saves us around 50 Euros a month in Electricity costs. Works for me. :winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
But to have solar, use all year round, i would have to spend about a £1000-£1200. for my calculated usage. £300 for a genny, and im quids in :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
But to have solar, use all year round, i would have to spend about a £1000-£1200. for my calculated usage. £300 for a genny, and im quids in :winky:

:RollEyes: But you still have to buy the fuel to run it. Time after time after time etc. Once bought? Solar power does not need re-fueling. Just a clean now and again. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
The problem i have is " one 85ah " battery. So no where to store the solar energy being produced by the panels, so i would have to upgrade to " two 110 ah " batterys, so makes the instalation expensive. I know i'll have to buy the petrol to use it but it's on a "pay as i go" basis. If one weekend we dont use the motorhome, it's no loss.

Upvote 0
M

mnd

Deleted User
Hi mark, John has made some good points in favour of solar panels, I've found them a worthy investment.:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Another question..........

Genny charging leisure battery at 8.3 amp....
is this the genny putting back inti the battery 8.3 amp........

Per hour or what ?

Upvote 0
M

mnd

Deleted User
Hi Mark, your vehicle alternator puts out around 45 amps and to fully charge a flat 85Ah battery would take about 750 road miles! The fuel used would probably pay for a replacement or two even!:whatthe:

Using a leisure charger i.e. portable genny is absolutely fine for charging your batteries via the on board charger, as long as you only connect to the power supply when it's running, some gennys will 'spike'or power surge when starting or stopping, which can cause damage to the chargers electronics, regarding the amp output of 8.3, this is the output measured at the two connections for direct connection to the battery, and not to be confused with connecting via the mains input:winky:

Regards mnd:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
assuming i only use the genny to charge battery ( 85ah ),
would it be more economical to start the engine of the cab, or use the genny ?

or use the genny for 240v output only.

i have 2 inverters, 600 watt fitted to the leisure battery, and a 150watt for the 12v cigarette socket.

if its more economical to run the engine, i'll cancel the genny order !!

Upvote 0

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi Mark

I think you will find that the genny has a 12 volt outlet so why would you want to generate 240 volt to be brought back down to 12 volts thereby wasting precious power (as the charger would not be !00% efficient)

Hi John and Sandy where in Spain are you? As we are flying out to see some friends in both Torrevieja and on Al Mafra on Monday 18th for a week (half term)!

Regards Pat

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi John and Sandy where in Spain are you? As we are flying out to see some friends in both Torrevieja and on Al Mafra on Monday 18th for a week (half term)!

Regards Pat

:Cool: We are on Camping Almafra. Look forwards to meeting you. :winky:

:Smile: If we are not out on our bikes? :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
The best way to make the most use of the genny is to run it to power 240v items (we used to have a washing machine) and use this time to charge batteries. We bought our RV with solar panel fitted, so we did not have the cost to consider, but we swear by it, as, in the summer it provides nearly all of our power. We do have a 3000 Kipor but would be happy with a smaller one.
BTW is the one you have ordered a red one or yellow?? if it is red, think about swapping it for a yellow one!! Mine is red.
Also remember that if you run your battery flat, it will have a VERY short life.
Nigel

Upvote 0

2escapees

Deleted User
I have a 110w solar panel and would not be without it. But I suppose if you only go to Scotland then a solar panel is not high on your list of priorities because it does rely on the SUN!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
It's the yellow one i have ordered !

Im really torn...

Would i be better upgrading the batterys, 2 x 110 amp, using the inverters i have and not bothering with the genny ?

then when my battery runs down, just start the engine up ??????

Upvote 0

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
It's the yellow one i have ordered !

Im really torn...

Would i be better upgrading the batterys, 2 x 110 amp, using the inverters i have and not bothering with the genny ?

then when my battery runs down, just start the engine up ??????

:Cool: It would be the initial cheapest way to do it. :winky:

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I wouldn't want to use the m/h engine to charge the battery, and would prefer to use genny. IF you can afford the weight and storage space to carry it. I would think that the genny would be less likely to upset any other campers(even when free camping) But the risk of it walking is quite high.
Nigel
BTW yellow is the right choice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Would anybody else agree, that leaving the engine running ( on tickover ), could or would damage the engine for the purposes of charging the leisure battery, for say half hour, to an hour ?

Upvote 0
R

rolandrat

Deleted User
generators

When considering buying a Genny what about storing it and what about the petrol it will use, unless they can be stored in an isolated locker, don't bother, the constant stink of the petrol is enought to consider a Solar panel, no stink with them and power input to the battery is constant.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Would anybody else agree, that leaving the engine running ( on tickover ), could or would damage the engine for the purposes of charging the leisure battery, for say half hour, to an hour ?
Hi Mark leaving the engine ticking over is not the kindest thing you can do to it,
apart from that the output of the alternator is not good at tick over, stick with the genny and double your options ie 240v or 12v on demand
Geo

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When considering buying a Genny what about storing it and what about the petrol it will use, unless they can be stored in an isolated locker, don't bother, the constant stink of the petrol is enought to consider a Solar panel, no stink with them and power input to the battery is constant.:thumb:

hi roland,
nice to see you on MHFun.
with regards to the 'stink', ours lives in the under sofa locker along with the fuel can and as yet we had no problems with smells. more probs with my last genny, a 2 stroke, that gassed us if the wind was 'wrong' and blew the oil fumes back at us.

john.
(sammcloius buddy)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Well the genny came today !! Ordered yesterday morning 9.03, £300 delivered for the yellow ig2000 Kipor. Excellent price, Interlink delivered this morning at 9.55. Well happy Havent tried it yet, need to read to find out what oil etc. Cant belive how big it is though, i'll have to leave the misses at home. :ROFLMAO:

I might try one weekend, not this one...as going for 4 nights. 2 wildcamp, 2 site:

to take the gas bottles out , and put genny in the gas locker. I can boil the electric kettle, use the electric 700 watt, so not to rely on gas.

This weekend i'll fill the genny up, and use sparingly to make sure all is well.
I will have to leave by motorhome door, during the night and on roof rack during the day, while stopped of course. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have the same genny, it does what it says on the tin.

Make sure you chain it to your motorhome, the little buggers can walk off

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi just bought 2x130watt Kyocera panels and a morningstar solar controller for £500 s/h 1 year old ::bigsmile: just spent another £100 yesterday buying cables, connecters, ali channel etc. to fix them to the roof and wire them up! :cry:

Olley

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Good find Olley ! Wonder how much the poor guy paid for them new. You got to be talking £600 a panel. :cry::cry::cry:

Bought a litre of 4 stroke oil today. Put it in. Add some petrol, really impressed. Quiet, Quiet, Quiet. :thumb: Lets hope, it will last a couple of years and show Honda what for :thumb:

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi Mark unlimited power ( Link Removed ) are doing them for £621inc vat each, I believe the controller was about £80, so well happy with the price.

Still dammed expensive electricity compared to a genny though. There's a new type on the horizon, its printed onto plastic and doesn't use silicon, they claim they can get the price down to 50p per watt.

Enjoy your new toy. ::bigsmile:

Olley

Upvote 0

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have the same genny.

These are safe through the motor home.

Great bit of kit.

I also have a 6KW genny onboard but very thirsty.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back