Found a Cockatiel (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
I'm in a bit of a pickle. Yesterday I heard a strange bird sound and looked up. There was a grey cockatiel on my neighbours roof. I spent 3 hours trying to coax it down. Eventually as it began to get dark it flew onto my head and I managed to get it into the house. A neighbour fortunately had a budgie cage and it has spent the night in that.( not an ideal size)

I have called the police, radio York, minster fm radio and the york press. I've been round several shops and put notices in the windows. Been on the internet and posted it on missing pet sites and looked through to see if any have been reported missing. Had no response at all. RSPCA closed til tomorrow.

We are off in our motorhome on Wednesday for 3 months. Just don't know what to do next.

Been to pets at home and said bird is now happily sitting on top of cage eating millet and cockatiel treats.

Anyone have any more ideas ? would anyone post it on their facebook site and ask their friends to do the same. We can realistically only keep it until tomorrow afternoon. I know they can fly a fair way, but it was in very good condition and it doesn't look like it's been out for long. Anyone within range of cockatiel flight from York could be the owner, possibly miles away. Would be grateful if you could post on your facebooks and word would be spread a lot further than I can do myself. Just can't understand why it is not reported already on missing pets.

Dominantly grey. white on wings yellow face with orange cheeks.

Thanks in anticipation just hope we can find the owner and reunite them,

Lin

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Got any Pics My daughter lost her's about a week ago Notts area
Geo

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
go to local vets and see if its microchipped....some are and you can contact the owner

mind you, the vet might even know the local breeders and they may have heard of a lost bird

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Haven't a clue how to put pics on here. It doesn't look as though its been out too long.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its been very good weather so no problem living outdoors for a few weeks, and in the wild they travel miles

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Bird in hand

lost our`s coming up for x2 years now always was a slow flyer, living in Kent, she was a female. find out if she answers to the name pepper.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If you get no responses in the next few days, whack it in the slow cooker then freeze it. It should last you the first couple of days of your holiday, curried maybe.....:winky:

I think you've done all you can. Someone will call. Geo will take it if no one does.....:thumb:

Upvote 0

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
go to local vets and see if its microchipped....some are and you can contact the owner

mind you, the vet might even know the local breeders and they may have heard of a lost bird

I agree :Smile:
The local pet shop may also know of owners in the area or, perhaps, have a bulletin board...

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
What ever you do, Please Dont take it to the RSPCA. Sometimes a local vet will take them in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Well just been to the vet and no microchip unfortunately. I have put notices in local shops including both pet shops. Just shelled out £10 on food and millet. Can't believe nobody has posted it missing. Have been told by the guy in pet shop that he knows of someone who takes in birds in local area. Will give it til tomorrow lunchtime then sadly will have to let him go. If we didn't travel so much would have considered keeping him. Still praying the owner or friends of theirs will see the ad.
Lin

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Well just been to the vet and no microchip unfortunately. I have put notices in local shops including both pet shops. Just shelled out £10 on food and millet. Can't believe nobody has posted it missing. Have been told by the guy in pet shop that he knows of someone who takes in birds in local area. Will give it til tomorrow lunchtime then sadly will have to let him go. If we didn't travel so much would have considered keeping him. Still praying the owner or friends of theirs will see the ad.
Lin

If he has red cheeks, he is definitely a cock bird. Cockatiels are usually good talkers and yours sounds as though he has had a lot of attention, since he landed on your head and sits on top of the cage etc. I can guarantee that somebody will be missing him!

The only problem with letting him go is that he will be dependant on somebody else finding and taking him in. In the outside he will be prone to cats and more importantly other birds who will attack him.

Dont you have any relative or friend who can take him in?

We used to breed Australian Parrakeets, including cockatiels, and found them to be very affectionate, I bet he was owned by a woman if he flew down onto your head.

Please dont just let him go!!

Ginny

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
If he has red cheeks, he is definitely a cock bird. Cockatiels are usually good talkers and yours sounds as though he has had a lot of attention, since he landed on your head and sits on top of the cage etc. I can guarantee that somebody will be missing him!

The only problem with letting him go is that he will be dependant on somebody else finding and taking him in. In the outside he will be prone to cats and more importantly other birds who will attack him.

Dont you have any relative or friend who can take him in?

We used to breed Australian Parrakeets, including cockatiels, and found them to be very affectionate, I bet he was owned by a woman if he flew down onto your head.

Please dont just let him go!!

Ginny
I wouldn't dream of letting him go outside. I meant letting him go to the aviary. Yikes it took me 3 hours to talk him down.

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Why do say that Maggie? (Genuine question)

Genuine reasons - 1 occasion was an emanciated pony with loads of untreated and bleeding sores at a horse sale, it was tied to the side of the pen from 6am and left with out water or hay all day. (it was in the pen next to one i was selling), we gave it some water and hay as it was trying its best to reach the nets ours had but its rope wasnt long enough, it went through the ring didnt make the reserve the people wanted was brought back tied up and given a kick off the owner. That animal body have to be present at sales, we told them about it, as far as no water,hay, untreated sores and spine and rib bones sticking up through the flesh and being kicked etc they were not bothered, they said to us when they asked the owner about it he said he had only bought it a couple of days ago. Put a TV crew in front of them and its o- so- different.
another occasion, a friend clipped a loose dog fortunately didnt damage the dog stopped and caught the dog that was also underfed and flea infected so bad it had bare patches, someone walking by said it belonged to the end house of the street she was on, she took it and knocked on the door (tv on) no answer so she took it home and called the local branch- they wouldnt take it as they classed it as a stray and the response apparently was she should take the dog back to the street and let it go, and if she didnt they would prefer charges as to taking an animal without authority - mmm it had allready been clipped by a car, and was flea infested and ribby. She rang the police who dealt with it and has since found out that the dog had been taken off the family once and then they had been allowed it back by none other than the local 'animal welfare'.There have been more instances that i know about from one friend or another as im sure any other person that has anything to do with rescues could attest to their own experiences and knowledge

I used to be a supporter of them but over the years have realised that they are more interested in what they are left by well meaning folk sometimes very large donations from someones estate the higher archy are very well paid while most of the staff (on the front line) get minimum wage amounts- I now support smaller charities for both dogs and horses.
Figures for 2008 were
In 2008, total income was £119,926,000, total expenditure was £114,090,000, and reserves were £70,656,000

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Genuine reasons - 1 occasion was an emanciated pony with loads of untreated and bleeding sores at a horse sale, it was tied to the side of the pen from 6am and left with out water or hay all day. (it was in the pen next to one i was selling), we gave it some water and hay as it was trying its best to reach the nets ours had but its rope wasnt long enough, it went through the ring didnt make the reserve the people wanted was brought back tied up and given a kick off the owner. That animal body have to be present at sales, we told them about it, as far as no water,hay, untreated sores and spine and rib bones sticking up through the flesh and being kicked etc they were not bothered, they said to us when they asked the owner about it he said he had only bought it a couple of days ago. Put a TV crew in front of them and its o- so- different.
another occasion, a friend clipped a loose dog fortunately didnt damage the dog stopped and caught the dog that was also underfed and flea infected so bad it had bare patches, someone walking by said it belonged to the end house of the street she was on, she took it and knocked on the door (tv on) no answer so she took it home and called the local branch- they wouldnt take it as they classed it as a stray and the response apparently was she should take the dog back to the street and let it go, and if she didnt they would prefer charges as to taking an animal without authority - mmm it had allready been clipped by a car, and was flea infested and ribby. She rang the police who dealt with it and has since found out that the dog had been taken off the family once and then they had been allowed it back by none other than the local 'animal welfare'.There have been more instances that i know about from one friend or another as im sure any other person that has anything to do with rescues could attest to their own experiences and knowledge

I used to be a supporter of them but over the years have realised that they are more interested in what they are left by well meaning folk sometimes very large donations from someones estate the higher archy are very well paid while most of the staff (on the front line) get minimum wage amounts- I now support smaller charities for both dogs and horses.
Figures for 2008 were
In 2008, total income was £119,926,000, total expenditure was £114,090,000, and reserves were £70,656,000

Perhaps I will let him go to the aviary if not claimed tomorrow. At least I know that he will be in with others of his kind.

Upvote 0

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Absolutely agree Lindylou re the RSPCA. Sad but true.

Have you tried the Parrot Society? They have a dedicated Missing Parrot / Parakeet department and a load of national co-ordinators for it, can't remember the guys name who is in charge, he was on Pet Detectives.

Hope you find the owner - some bird owners travel with their birds by the way!!!! they don't mind motorhomes!! :Smile:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you had a look at this:

Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
If not claimed by his owners today the bird is going to a new family who have 2 cockatiels already. WIll leave their telephone number on our answering machine just in case his owner spots one of my ads. Best I could do as we are leaving tomorrow for 3 months.
l
Lin

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Keep it it sounds like your both doing fine! A cheeky Cockatiel in a house/van is a great talking point and he/she seems to like you!

Eddie

Upvote 0

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Happy ending the bird (Harry) has been reunited with his owner. The dog knocked his cage over when they were having a BBQ on Sunday. So hadn't been out for long.
Lin.
A great Ending:thumb: now go and enjoy your 3 months away,if the world had more like you it would be a better place for all, :thumb: cheers Alf.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
A great Ending:thumb: now go and enjoy your 3 months away,if the world had more like you it would be a better place for all, :thumb: cheers Alf.

Looking forward to going tomorrow now. Will not be looking at any roof tomorrow morning. Might never get away :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back