Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but it seems as good as anywhere so here goes......

What is the longest lead time you have been quoted for a motorhome part?

I ask this because I have just been quoted as follows 'the lead time for this part is normally 9 months but we have intervened and the part should be here early next week although I cannot put that in writing as it might not arrive, we are in the hands of our supplier'.

If it does arrive next week I will have waited a mere 7 weeks for the part, I suppose I should count myself lucky if it turns up at all.

This is not a part for an old or obsolete vehicle, in fact it is for a brand new vehicle which cannot be put onto the road until it arrives.

The vehicle is a Hymer, the chassis a Ford Transit, the part is a complete new wiring loom, required because somewhere in the delivery process the starter battery went flat and somebody apparently jump started it following the wrong procedure, modern vans are very fragile.

Faced with week after week of disinterest and broken promises from Ford I sent an e-mail to the CEO of Ford UK, when that e-mail was ignored I circulated it to his boss in the US, this elicited a reply and a very polite young lady called me and intervened, she took the chassis number and set off to track it down last week, when I chased her for a reply this morning she was pretty curt and told me this morning that the harness was 'bespoke' especially made for Hymer and that the leadtime was NINE MONTHS.

So be warned, if you have a Transit conversion with canbus wiring be very, very careful before you apply those jump leads, you may waiting for a while for a new loom.

I am sue that somebody out there can beat nine months, I hope so, it might help me feel a bit better.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
8 Years......:Eeek:

not really a lead time but a promise to supply asap by the supplying dealer (Barrons York (long gone now)) of our first motorhome.

it was for a missing roof vent fly screen and we're still waiting :Angry:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
yours is the second New hymer mentioned on here this week waiting for a new wiring harness from Ford. doesnt sound good or give much hope if you have issues later on in ownership

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the longest wait for parts I have known of was over a year, when a european van from a small volume motorhome builder at the time was involved in a minor traffic accident. Basically it needed a replacement side skirt but the manufacturer was waiting till the next production run of that model. initially quoted as 12 weeks lead time it kept being delayed and delayed...... not a happy camper from memory as he couldnt even trade the van in against another

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
If it is new and you havn't taken delivery I would be saying sorry don't want it.......I can almost guarantee with canbus wiring and changing the loom it will Have problems from now to the day it's scrapped.......persoally I would reject the vehicle as the problem is down to them.

Just my opinion of course.....based on trucks we have owned with cambus.

All the best Rick

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just my opinion of course.....based on trucks we have owned with cambus.

It's a very good opinion. In the good old days, a buzzer and a load of patience and you'd find the fault.

I guess you could do it on CANBUS, they are only wires after all. They know the symptoms, they should have a circuit diagram, why have they not tried harder? Worst case is they've diagnosed a cable and it's really a faulty module somewhere.

KISS. They may learn one day.

OP
OP
Q

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Replacing the whole harness (15 hours labour) seemed excessive to me, we run quite a few vehicles, I don't like canbus.
The reluctance of a main Ford dealer to try and solve the problem rather than repair it or replace a module suggests nervousness about the extent of any underlying damage, the only syptom picked upon the pdi were the failure of the drivers side indicators to function.
I assume that the problem has been caused by a lot of current present on the cables that are only specced to carry a digital signal, maybe they think that all of the interfaces have been damaged.

I employ a general manager who specs the vans for our business, he hates Transits with a vengeance and his told you so face is a picture at the moment.

To be frank, this really is an observation about Ford, our previous motorhome was based on a Renault Master, 46000 faultless miles, we never waited longer than 24 hours for a part, though all it ever needed was a door mirror glass (rural Portugal) and pads, discs and usual service parts.

I remember when we used to buy Ford because the parts were easier to get hold of.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
can I change to to how quick

Perhaps it is an American thing???? but from time of call to recovery to getting it home after repair was 36 hours....

That was recovery, getting a calliper for the RV (overnight post off the shelf from a yank supplier / repairer) to fitting it and with a change of brakes both sides...

Why does it take some european companies so long... it is rare for a yank to have to wait very long for mechanical parts...

Plus it is a Ford and the wiring on the yanks fords seem to be fine.

Bob:Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The reluctance of a main Ford dealer to try and solve the problem rather than repair it or replace a module suggests nervousness about the extent of any underlying damage,

The vehicle is a Hymer, the chassis a Ford Transit, the part is a complete new wiring loom, required because somewhere in the delivery process the starter battery went flat and somebody apparently jump started it following the wrong procedure, modern vans are very fragile.

=================================

I'm amazed that they think that that could damage the wiring. I could easily believe a bad flash from jump leads could take out many modules.

But if the wiring is damaged I guess you should have a full rewire rather than a repair.

I think the best advice you've been given is reject it totally.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Trouble with canbus one wire does all so to speak......I know several good auto electricians and they all hate it with a passion.....I had a fault on a truck after £2000 and no cure I traded the truck and vowed to never have another until I had no option......a pal of mine in the USA was sooo proud of his new $400,000 RV (as he should be) now two years old with 6k on the clock so far spent 9 months in the dealers with canbus faults.

As stated earlier only my opinion....but the dealer would be keeping it and paying me back or ordering a new one......after all thats what you ordered.

All the best Rick

OP
OP
Q

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
Parts

I appreciate the comments re rejection etc and it may come to that yet but I was really interested in learning about parts leadtimes, I think nine months is outrageous just want to see what the industry average is.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I appreciate the comments re rejection etc and it may come to that yet but I was really interested in learning about parts leadtimes, I think nine months is outrageous just want to see what the industry average is.

Hey, this is FUN, we always go that extra mile.

OP
OP
Q

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006

Harness arrived last Thursday, Ford absolutely refuse to put anything in writing re the delay or the ridiculous 'normal' waiting time.
The van is being rewired top to bottom and will be the subject of an inspection from an independent auto electrical engineer.

We expect delivery next week but I do think that Ford and their motorhome charter are/is a bit suspect when it comesto getting hold of parts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back