Aug 28, 2012
lincs
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hello everyone ::bigsmile:
we are completely new to having a motorhome and we was wondering what do people leave in their van between trips?
Do you leave bedding in there? dry food? or do you pack it from scratch each time?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome.

bedding is fine left in the van in summer but should be taken indoors in winter...along with soft furnishings (cushions etc).

dry food in sealed packets/containers should be OK...but don't leave any unsealed packets of dry food in the van or you will get mice.

we always leave tinned goods in the cupboards all year round

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We always try to have as much as possible in the van so only need to pack fresh or frozen food. Bedding comes out in the winter unless its only a short gap between trips, and if a very long gap then so do clothes.
No open food left though as can attract mice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I never took anything out at all. Bedding and furnishings were all left in. Never a problem.

The only things I took out were perishables like milk and open packets. Everything else stayed exactly as is ready to go.

Depending on how long I was leaving it I would leave the fridge on as well. If I turned it off though I would empty it, wipe it out with a dilute bleach cloth and prop the door open.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I didn't even think of mice! :Eeek: I have a lot to learn!! lol

We had mice only last month. Caught 6 in traps and took any remaining on a 3 week jaunt.::bigsmile:

What they appear to have been attracted to was my daughters hot water bottle which is a type of cuddly toy you put in the microwave. Apparently they are full of wheat.

There were neat piles of the stuff in lots of places.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

faybes

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
lincs
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i'm a newbie
We had mice only last month. Caught 6 in traps and took any remaining on a 3 week jaunt.::bigsmile:

What they appear to have been attracted to was my daughters hot water bottle which is a type of cuddly toy you put in the microwave. Apparently they are full of wheat.

There were neat piles of the stuff in lots of places.

Most definitely will NOT be taking my wheat bag then no matter how cold we get! :Smile: I think i would have a heart attack if I was cuddled up to a mouse :whatthe:

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I never took anything out at all. Bedding and furnishings were all left in. Never a problem.

The only things I took out were perishables like milk and open packets. Everything else stayed exactly as is ready to go.

Depending on how long I was leaving it I would leave the fridge on as well. If I turned it off though I would empty it, wipe it out with a dilute bleach cloth [HI]and prop the door open[/HI].

It was quite a while before I realised that the door catch on our Dometic has a position to hold it slightly ajar. It really isn't very obvious but if you pull it slightly away from the closed position and slide the catch across it will hold it leaving an air gap to prevent mould forming.

In the picture below you can see the component parts ans that the flat metal piece has not one but two positions that it can be closed in. Hope this helps but if it's not clear let me know.

Wyn
Link Removed

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I normally try and leave the wife in it but she always gets out:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We tend to leave bedding and toiletries in it to save us loading them in all the time also leave some tinned food in it but as said always remove opened packets. didnt know about the fridge latch normally se sit a tin or bottle on the floor to stop door from shutting and leave a fridge air freshener in it.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We leave most things in except for the fresh food, even leave in clothes, always wash the bedding when we get home, then make it up next day ready for the off.

We find it is much easier for the van to have its own pots pans cutlery etc, also leave all the toiletries in the van, anything so each time you go away you have not forgotten anything. Van definately has its own wine opener.

Upvote 0

motomike

Free Member
May 2, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
since 2008
I leave everything in (except open food or cereal boxes) all year round, and use the van once a week to warm it through...even if just a trip to asda. No damp or fusty smells in 4 years. On cold damp nights I have a low wattage heater running for 1 or 2 hours...van is on my drive with EHU so not a problem.
MM

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Certainly the toiletries have to stay, it would be a major job shifting them. I have shampoo shower gel toothpaste. SWMBO has about 60 assorted bottles of stuff, the vast majority having no known purpose and I'm sure she doesn't use them, nonetheless they are apparently essential :RollEyes:

Upvote 0

annadg

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I'm new to it
Sort of continuing for this, I have things like pasta and cereals in airtight plastic containers and was planning to take those ... would they be safe from little rodents with nasty pointy teeth do you think ?

Or shall we just take our Burmese kittens (Nimbus and Cirrus) along with us occasionally to sort out potential problems ? They are excellent mousers :)

anna

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sort of continuing for this, I have things like pasta and cereals in airtight plastic containers and was planning to take those ... would they be safe from little rodents with nasty pointy teeth do you think ?

Or shall we just take our Burmese kittens (Nimbus and Cirrus) along with us occasionally to sort out potential problems ? They are excellent mousers :)

anna

Having become an expert in the subject:)BigGrin:), plastic containers are not safe against rodents, only metal containers.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back