What Price can you put on Time? (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi,
I know most senoir citizens have time to spare so no problem, but my question is/was when planning your holiday abroad do you go for cheapest route to france or think about alternative routes,
ie if going to west coast or brittany do you consider portsmouth ferry or poole, all be it dearer so as to save time,diesel and wear & tear and get a few extra days holiday to boot.

We live on the Isle of Wight, so to travel to dover or tunnel adds an extra day each way or there abouts to our itinary,
then to drive to brittany or west coast takes another 2 days approx each way making about 4/5 days overall travelling to our destination.

Personally I enjoy the driving seeing all the villages and french countryside on the way but before I retired and only had 2/3 weeks hols at a time I had to give it some serious thought.

Only once used peage roads (toll ) by error, blamed it on sat nav.:Doh:

Taking cost of diesel and time saved ??
Do you think it worth trying a more expensive route to save the mileage and time. Just wondered what you all thought.:thumb:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Terry you little fidget you. My most recent trip to Lake Garda took me on some fairly high speed roads some of which were toll roads.

We did indeed cover some miles in a short time. Before arriving at Garda however, I'd had enough of not seeing anything apart from distant views and got off the high speed roads and dawdled along the more interesting and scenic villages.

All I can think is my blood pressure reduced and I began to relax and enjoy the holiday. We'd even get caught up in a short queue for a set of traffic lights or whatever, but it was far more enlightening , enjoyable and relaxing.

On the way home once through St Gottard we aimed straight for the 'A' roads as I call them and up through the Mosselle valley and enjoyed the trip home much more than the trip down.

So, if you're pressed for time, fine, use the toll routes. In all other cases I would get there more at a snails pace........Griff......:thumb:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Used to dash everywhere priding myself on 'doing it' in x hours etc etc. Not now.Whats the hurry! It's far more interesting to dawdle 'cross country' and see whats there.In truth it is the
luxury of not having to be back anywhere in time to work.:thumb:

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Hi Living on Hayling went, Pompy- Le Havre, sorry not for me coulnt get any kip overnight, it would be great if you booked early and got a sleeper cabin, but I did,nt have the choice, going on my own, it would probably be great for you as you have got to come off the Island, I,ll probably let the train take strain next year..................Del

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am a strange type of motorhomer...

I actually enjoy driving along in mine...

All part of the Fun...

Being sick on wobbly, bluish stuff (no... not toilet chemical) isn't Fun for me at all.

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
"We live on the Isle of Wight, so to travel to dover or tunnel adds an extra day each way or there abouts to our itinary,"

What route do you use to get from the IOW? A day seems a little excessive:whatthe:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]I am a strange type of motorhomer...[/HI]

I actually enjoy driving along in mine...

All part of the Fun...

Being sick on wobbly, bluish stuff (no... not toilet chemical) isn't Fun for me at all.

I hope you are all taking Notes......he's finally admitted it.

Frankie, you shouldn't be seen talking to strange types of motorhomers......:roflmto:
:winky:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
There are a number of factors, depends if you want to just arrive at a place for a reason or if you prefer to travel. When I had young kids my only option was to get there asap as the crys of are we there yet started soon after leaving home. You could of course just want to get to the sun when the fast route is also preferred.
If you have no particular place to go then travel and you might find the most unexpected gem imaginable and decide to stay for the duration. Motorhomes are made for this.
Now if I want to get somewhere fast or find the sun then I hop on a plane and I'm there in hours rather than days.
The option is your own.:Cool:

OP
OP
FIDGET
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
"We live on the Isle of Wight, so to travel to dover or tunnel adds an extra day each way or there abouts to our itinary,"

What route do you use to get from the IOW? A day seems a little excessive:whatthe:

Hi, I didn't explain myself very wel,l by the time we have dropped manic cocker off to kennels on I.o.W. then caught ferry ,then drive to dover about 4 hrs then catch ferry and spend night at dunkirk , first day gone. Similar on way back

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
WE nearly always used the Dover-Calais route. Have used the more expensive and longer Newhaven-Dieppe route. However now with a dog we always use the tunnel.

Going to Portsmouth for us would be counter productive as it just means the mileage would be done in the UK rather than France, and I know which I'd rather do:Smile:. Depends where you live I supose.
The peage is not something we like to use, as driving long distances without anything interesting on the way does not appeal.
Only toll bits worth the cost are the Millau bridge and the bit of toll motorway along the Med into Spain as the N roads always seem pretty clogged. Mind you the 'Ladies of the [STRIKE]night[/STRIKE] day' can only be seen on the N roads.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I use the fastest route with the least roundabout and traffic lights possible until I am in roughly the area I want to explore then I steady up and just go with the flow.

For instance if going to France I will use peage as far as La Rochelle. But south of that I won't.

I find that the stop start of using national routes reduces my fuel economy enough to make peage's cost effective. Sitting at a constant 60mph for 100's of miles gives fantastic fuel economy.

My previous 5 trips have used the peage until I get close to Saumur. I then head off for my first stop of the trip 10Km south at Montreuil-Bellay. I have a night or two here then the Satnav goes in the safe (rarely used in France). I then just meander south using whichever road takes my fancy. I find lots of interesting places using this method..

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I hope you are all taking Notes......he's finally admitted it.

Frankie, you shouldn't be seen talking to strange types of motorhomers......:roflmto:
:winky:

...but I never make her go on sick making journeys only powered by sheets of canvas with nothing to see except for more blue, wobbly stuff, the odd seabird and vomit... :ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a wise man once said "it is better to travel hopefully than to arrive", for me that says it all because once you have arrived the journey is half over. May as well fly if you don't smell the flowers. for me the travel is everything. As for using the tunnel well unless you fancy a cruise with the possibility of bottoming your motorhome out on some ramp or other then as Del said let the train take the strain, well worth the extra. Everything is so quick and trouble free.:thumb:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I always use Newhaven Dieppe night sailing. Get 4 hours kip which is plenty for me and then have a very steady plod south. Usually the other side of Orleons by mid morning. If you book on the phone you get a good discount if over 60.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I even do it in the UK (A & B roads rather than MW), travel into Scotland then go via the B7076 dropping onto the M74 to get around Glasgow then freedom.

I enjoy the Scottish A roads - with passing places - that keep you awake watching out for the idiot MH's who think they are parking lay-bys. :ROFLMAO:

There are lots of French roads with more roundabouts than a fun fair and these we avoid if possible.

Be selective and make your journey more interesting and varied.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
...but I never make her go on sick making journeys only powered by sheets of canvas with nothing to see except for more[HI] blue, wobbly stuff,[/HI] the odd seabird and vomit... :ROFLMAO:

JJ doesn't come here often, otherwise he'd know the English Channel is almost never blue, though can be quite wobbly.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back