LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thinking about a tablet for myself and one for SWMBO.

I like the look and versatility of the Asus Transfomer Infinity.
Anyone got one or your views please? :Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If I had the cash it would be the transformer for definate.....

I am looking at the Google Nexus though as it is more in my price bracket.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have a Transformer 101 with keyboard and wifey has a TF101 without keyboard. In general they're very good but some websites (facebook for one) don't always work as they should. Whether this is an Android issue or web developer issue I don't know but it can be very frustrating.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thinking about a tablet for myself and one for SWMBO.

I like the look and versatility of the Asus Transfomer Infinity.
Anyone got one or your views please? :Smile:

I have the previous model, it's one of the most beautifully made gadgets I've ever bought.

Go for it.

Two ? The 10" format is quite big, maybe a 7 and a 10 ? But get 10" first.

I've only just found the BBC iPlayer app, it's amazing to sit watching TV on it. I must look to see if the other channels have an app.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When I was thinking about tablets in May we did the same as we do for PCs/laptops - went into a few retailers and had a play with the display models to see which suited me best. I ended up with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and Jill got one for herself 3 days later :Smile:

As with any tool it's a matter thinking about what you want it for and finding the best fit. For me the tablet is definitely a toy, still need a keyboard (and Windows software) for serious work.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
When I was thinking about tablets in May we did the same as we do for PCs/laptops - went into a few retailers and had a play with the display models to see which suited me best. I ended up with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 and Jill got one for herself 3 days later :Smile:

As with any tool it's a matter thinking about what you want it for and finding the best fit. For me the tablet is definitely a toy, still need a keyboard (and Windows software) for serious work.

Ahh Sundance, most unlike you! You have to monitor ALL the interfaces!!! :ROFLMAO:
It comes with a keyboard dock one of the features I like about it. :thumb:
See here http://www.asus.com/Tablet/Transformer_Pad/ASUS_Transformer_Pad_Infinity_TF700T/

We will of course keep our big lappies. This is for travelling, it even has built in GPS. :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Just bought a samsung Tab 2 10.1 ( on it now ). Best 249.00 ive spent for a long time. You pay 299.00 then register its warranty on line an get 50.00 cash back from Samsung.

Had it 3 weeks and have used it with mifi when out in the van, cant put it down.:thumb:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Google Nexus 7

Sold my netbook on eBay and put it towards a 16Gb Google Nexus 7. Very pleased with it so far - still learning. Does not have capability of expanding memory via SD cards or such, and has to connect to the internet via Wi-Fi, but tethered to Smartphone runs fine.

Already downloaded CoPilot Live Europe as a Sat Nav app and hoping to find a decent mount for it to become our Sat Nav of choice when on the road.

Steve

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've just got a NATPC M010S 8GB Android 4.4 to see how we got on, very cheap compared to what some people play but for what we want it should do nicely - it only cost us £55 delivered and has gone up a little bit since then.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007JVDM1W/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00[/ame]

We've had it for a few days now and hubby thinks it is brilliant. We've also ordered a case/keyboard for it:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007R1WKOY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00[/ame]

We've watched the sample movie on it and it is fantastic quality! The sound is very good too - we did check out some more expensive version 'in the flesh' but found their speakers absolutely abysmal.

So far very pleased with it indeed.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well I bought a all singing Chinese tablet and had browser busy problems and problems with seller ------ended up with tablet for free ::bigsmile::thumb:Bought a Samsung tab 2 which is working great :thumb: l am well impressed :thumb: still trying to learn a lot of features but overall like both :thumb: but grandson is getting the Chinese tablet for his birthday so that we can get to use the Samsung tab::bigsmile::Smile:
Anybody want to buy a Ninetedo lite with a G4 card and games?
Terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We've just got a NATPC M010S 8GB Android 4.4 to see how we got on,

So far very pleased with it indeed.:thumb:

The only thing which seems to be missing is GPS which is a pity because they make a good navigator.

Screen is minimum resolution you need.

But at the price, a real bargain.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Have been advised to wait and see what Microsoft brings out soon with Windows 8 then all my software would load in. :thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Have been advised to wait and see what Microsoft brings out soon with Windows 8 then all my software would load in. :thumb:

Just make sure when you get one you get an X86 one not an ARM one.
Your software won't run on the ARM ones.

Also.... Are you CRAZY???? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

When you say "my software", do you mean existing Windows applications?

You'd need a Windows 8 tablet running on an Intel or AMD processor for those to work. If it's running an ARM processor (Windows 8 RT....the one that will appear on cheaper tablets) then none of your existing software will work. So make sure you buy the right one.

Edit
-----
Aaaarghh!!! Too late....Gromett beat me to it :Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks to all, I only said I will wait and take a look at the Windows one.
Still fancy the Infinity.:thumb:

Just for Hilda..... :moon2::moon2::moon2:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Maybe.

Old PC software written for keyboard and mouse will not work seamlessly on a touch basis because it was not written that way. If it needs a keyboard and mouse then you already own a laptop.

A tablet with a keyboard plugged in is not really tablet, it's a laptop/netbook.

On the other hand Apple/Android have now got years of proper tablet software available.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Have you looked at an iPad 2?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Amen. iPads rule!!! Android tablets don't even come close....... (ducks from missiles). I'll just get my coat.........:roflmto:

I ran over my iPad (long story) but I had a good look around for a replacement and while long lists of spec make the alternatives "appear" to be better than the iPad, in use, for me at least, they don't come close. But they don't come close to the price either, so I guess you get what you pay for. IMO they are all playing catchup to the Apple and after Apple's big £1bn win over Samsung last week, which may become £3bn this week, I don't think the iPad will be caught for while yet. I bought another, they are just superb.

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry I will not buy Apple. In my view they are overpriced by a mile and on principle will not contribute to their rip off coffers. :Angry:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry I will not buy Apple. In my view they are overpriced by a mile and on principle will not contribute to their rip off coffers. :Angry:

All Apple products are expensive and always have been.

iPads have their drawbacks but as Jim says, they are superb.

I respect your reason for not buying one though:thumb:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
From a technical spec point of view loads of tablets beat the ipad these days.
The engineering quality is up there on a handful of top brands and with Jelly bean the software has caught up if not overtaken Apple.

The only thing they all seem to lag on now is screen resolution which on a 10" screen is not an issue if you ask me...

Find one that does what you want it to do at a price you can afford.. Ignore the label.

I also won't buy any more apple products, partly because of the walled garden but also because they have declared war on Android and are using trivial [HI]software[/HI] patents to shut down competition...

Other than Kodak who are going down in a huge ball of flames and are trying to sue their way back. Apple are at the center of pretty much every lawsuit. at the moment:Angry:

Attachments

• lawsuites.jpg
    lawsuites.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I ran over my iPad (long story) but I had a good look around for a replacement and while long lists of spec make the alternatives "appear" to be better than the iPad, in use, for me at least, they don't come close. But they don't come close to the price either, so I guess you get what you pay for. IMO they are all playing catchup to the Apple and [HI]after Apple's big £1bn win over Samsung last week[/HI], which may become £3bn this week, I don't think the iPad will be caught for while yet. I bought another, they are just superb.

It's all a game. Which company do Apple source most of their chips from?

And Apple have a right cheek anyway - if it wasn't for them pinching stuff from PARC about 40 years ago they never would have got the basis for building the company ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back