1500 miles later..................... (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welllll,
we have stopped at all sorts of places down the west coast of France.. Eventually turning east just above Bordeaux and heading in land to meet up with my elder step brother, who I had not seen for 30 years.. A pleasant afternoon there but we moved on and ended up at a place just south of Avignon..
Went for a bike ride .. 6 miles out and woman decides the ground needs a much closer inspection... Ambulance called and she is carted off to hossy, all the time protesting she was fine...

I rode like a madman back to the camp site where I packed up in 2 minutes flat and followed the ambulance to the hossy
Parked up and went to emergency.. 20 minutes of form filling and an hour wait later I was getting concerned.. Made noises and they sort of looked a bit furtive and shuffled me in to a side waiting room on my own

30 minutes later ( !!! ) a woman doctor fianlly came and asked if Maureen had banged her head ?? !!
No.. grazed knee and swollen thumb.. WHY ? !!

Cos we cannot find her...........................................

Woman had decided she really did not want any treatment and was absolutely fine.. so had just got off the examination table and strolled out without telling anyone :Doh:

Security was running around like headless chooks and one guy took me out in his security car to take a look around..

Eventually found her sitting in the shade by the main entrance !!!!

Happy to report her self diagnostic was correct and apart from a slightly stiff thumb no ill effects remain.

Other than that, the bloody fridge died on 12v ( traced to a spade terminal that had got hot and gone high resistance***, the cruise control going intermittent ( traced to a loose fitting fuse on the control loom,, so must have been dodgy from the day I installed it ), and both the small electric cooker hobs bought in Spain barely getting warm, both suffering duff spade terminal connections inside them***

When will manufacturers learn that spade connectors are the absolute WORST possible type of connection for anything drawing more than a couple of amps max..

I see the same issues on motorcycle charging circuits almost daily when at home..

Soooooooooo
Where are we now ?
A camp site called Le Nautical.. Its about 40 miles from the Italian border, and around 14 miles due east of Gap on a massive lake ( wellll, not ON a massive lake but on the shore ! :winky: )

Next stop will be northern Italy.. though no idea where as yet !

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Good heavens, thats not the type of adventure you need, glad to here that Maureen is OK, and hope your blood pressure has come back down. We loved touring in Italy, Ed always says it does not matter what your religious beliefs or whether or not you have any, the architecture in some of the Churches is amazing. Glad you are both OK.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Welllll,
we have stopped at all sorts of places down the west coast of France.. Eventually turning east just above Bordeaux and heading in land to meet up with my elder step brother, who I had not seen for 30 years.. A pleasant afternoon there but we moved on and ended up at a place just south of Avignon..
Went for a bike ride .. 6 miles out and woman decides the ground needs a much closer inspection... Ambulance called and she is carted off to hossy, all the time protesting she was fine...

I rode like a madman back to the camp site where I packed up in 2 minutes flat and followed the ambulance to the hossy
Parked up and went to emergency.. 20 minutes of form filling and an hour wait later I was getting concerned.. Made noises and they sort of looked a bit furtive and shuffled me in to a side waiting room on my own

30 minutes later ( !!! ) a woman doctor fianlly came and asked if Maureen had banged her head ?? !!
No.. grazed knee and swollen thumb.. WHY ? !!

Cos we cannot find her...........................................

Woman had decided she really did not want any treatment and was absolutely fine.. so had just got off the examination table and strolled out without telling anyone :Doh:

Security was running around like headless chooks and one guy took me out in his security car to take a look around..

Eventually found her sitting in the shade by the main entrance !!!!

Happy to report her self diagnostic was correct and apart from a slightly stiff thumb no ill effects remain.

Other than that, the bloody fridge died on 12v ( traced to a spade terminal that had got hot and gone high resistance***, the cruise control going intermittent ( traced to a loose fitting fuse on the control loom,, so must have been dodgy from the day I installed it ), and both the small electric cooker hobs bought in Spain barely getting warm, both suffering duff spade terminal connections inside them***

When will manufacturers learn that spade connectors are the absolute WORST possible type of connection for anything drawing more than a couple of amps max..

I see the same issues on motorcycle charging circuits almost daily when at home..

Soooooooooo
Where are we now ?
A camp site called Le Nautical.. Its about 40 miles from the Italian border, and around 14 miles due east of Gap on a massive lake ( wellll, not ON a massive lake but on the shore ! :winky: )

What would a trip be without a few hurdles....all these forms you filled in, were they for private treatment or through your E11 cover?.
The best thing you can possible take with you on a motor-home trip is the knowlage to repair things that go wrong. It has got you out of trouble a few times already. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Don't spread this around, go to the small site in Cannero Riviera on Maggiore. Make sure you explore all the back streets. You won't regret it.

Then of course the Borromeo Islands, particularly Isola Bella. And Villa Taranto.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Glad to hear its all turned out ok and Maureen is ok, keep the blog coming :thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Good heavens, thats not the type of adventure you need, glad to here that Maureen is OK, and hope your blood pressure has come back down. We loved touring in Italy, Ed always says it does not matter what your religious beliefs or whether or not you have any, the architecture in some of the Churches is amazing. Glad you are both OK.

What would a trip be without a few hurdles....all these forms you filled in, were they for private treatment or through your E11 cover?.
The best thing you can possible take with you on a motor-home trip is the knowlage to repair things that go wrong. It has got you out of trouble a few times already. :thumb:

Its all good fun really !! Would be boring without it ! :thumb:

Hope your luck gets better guys, if it does have a good trip and I'm not jealous at all:cry::thumb:

Cheers :thumb:

Don't spread this around, go to the small site in Cannero Riviera on Maggiore. Make sure you explore all the back streets. You won't regret it.

Then of course the Borromeo Islands, particularly Isola Bella. And Villa Taranto.

Thanks Brian ! :thumb:

Glad to hear its all turned out ok and Maureen is ok, keep the blog coming :thumb:

No worries mate.. As and ehn I can get a bit of Wifi !

Gotta bail now as woman needs a washing line up !! ( Up where I aint sure, but I live in hope :ROFLMAO: )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Sorry !! missed that one somehow ! :Doh:

E11 mate.. and ambulance was a public not private one !:thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Sounds as if the lake is Lac De Serre-poncon from looking at a map, but we stopped at the same place and it was called Savigne le lac. We went past there to Briancon and climbed up to Montgenevre. We kind of fell out along the way and turned round and went back down and stopped in Briancon at a site called Les Gentian. It was run by a middle aged chap and his mother and felt very Psycho but we were able to stop there for a couple of days, catch up on washing and pay for good wifi. They say that Montgenvre is beautiful and it's only a short step to Turin from there. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cheers Ivy and Frankie :thumb:
I amm afraid we will not be coming back up France as we are now heading to Italy, and maybe Bosnia or Croatia before returning via Austria and Germany

Today we have had quite a bit of excitement as there was a big fire up towards Grenobal ( SP ? ) and we have had the massive water planes flying in to the lake taking on board water.
Managed to get a fleeting video of the action and will try to get it posted at some point in the future :thumb:

Yesterday we met a couple from Nottingham who are also doing a grand tour, but remaining in France.. And Buttons, they are doing it in a T4 mate :thumb:

Must say this site has proven to be excepetional in views and facilities.. It is an ACSI site so it only costs us £11.70 a night ( and they GAVE me free WiFi because we are on the ACSI card.. Nice one !! Having said that, it is usually only 3 € for 5 hours usage so quite reasonable compaired to most places :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I amm afraid we will not be coming back up France as we are now heading to Italy, and maybe Bosnia or Croatia before returning via Austria and Germany

Today we have had quite a bit of excitement as there was a big fire up towards Grenobal ( SP ? ) and we have had the massive water planes flying in to the lake taking on board water.
Managed to get a fleeting video of the action and will try to get it posted at some point in the future :thumb:

[HI]Yesterday we met a couple from Nottingham who are also doing a grand tour, but remaining in France.. And Buttons, they are doing it in a T4 mate [/HI]:thumb:

Must say this site has proven to be excepetional in views and facilities.. It is an ACSI site so it only costs us £11.70 a night ( and they GAVE me free WiFi because we are on the ACSI card.. Nice one !! Having said that, it is usually only 3 € for 5 hours usage so quite reasonable compaired to most places :thumb:
Good on them who needs all that Razzle Dazzle anyway. We have toured this area and had a great time, you just have to get up real close:winky:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just had some excitement !
Big fire about 40 miles away.. Four fire planes dipping the lake for water to dump on it !!!

Took some vid and some pics..
The planes just come in, skim the water to fill the tanks ( without any slowing down at all !! ) and then fly off..

They came around 5 times in total so must have been a BIG fire !

Broken Link Removed

Attachments

• P1010023s.jpg
    P1010023s.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 137

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp

Yesterday we met a couple from Nottingham who are also doing a grand tour, but remaining in France.. And Buttons, they are doing it in a T4 mate :thumb:

So glad you're both having a great time. Johnp10 told us about a fabulous site in Innsbruck called Natterer See, which as a lovely backdrop of snow-capped mountains. It sounds so lovely that we are going there after Germany. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welll.. after a few days just south of Venice in pouring rain, we have headed north and are now plotted up on a small site in Austria called Mossler See Camping in Dobriach.
Heated pool, BIG shop ( almost average Asda size to give you an idea ) and located close to a thriving tourist aimed town.

Anyone coming this way be very careful not to go to the site next door..It is an ACSI site, listed as € 16 a night.. Until you investigate and suddenly it is € 23.50 !!

We simply walked out, looked in the book again and yep, right next door is the site we are on..
It is a great site, very very friendly staff, with fantastic facilities..
Went for a slap up meal at one of the local places last night and had change of € 25.00 including a decent tip left.

The site at Scottomarina near Chioggi was also excellent in its self, again with good facilities and with access to a private beach.. If it had not rained the entire time we probably would have stayed longer.. Good sized pitches, a decent on site shop too

Oh, guess what.............

It has just started tipping it down again .... I get the feeling it is going to follow us all the way home :cry:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We are in Croatia - south. Tried to go through Bosnia but no road insurance and couldn't buy any at border as was told we could do so hot ferry over to an island and will drive south from there (£35) will be here for a couple more weeks you never know we may meet on our way back!

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
N ow parked up in Camping Stobrec nr Split.
Clutch gone on the van :cry::cry::cry: hoping to sort a garage tomorrow.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back