Free Member
Aug 18, 2012
rct
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Hi, I am in eastern France at the moment heading south over the next few days, I have a oyster vision 1 system that now picks up absolutely nothing, I would be grateful for any help, eg settings required or how to manually find astra 2, thanks in advance Ian

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Is it the Dome type or Flip-up...?

I have the instructions to reset on a flip-up...

But cannot scan and send till tomorrow...

Thats if I can do that.. :Doh: Bit fick I is.. :RollEyes:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Hi, I am in eastern France at the moment heading south over the next few days, I have a oyster vision 1 system that now picks up absolutely nothing, I would be grateful for any help, eg settings required or how to manually find astra 2, thanks in advance Ian

I assume you have the control panel that has the map of Europe on it. If not then you don't have a Vision 1, or you have a Vision 1 which has been modified, in which case ignore what follows.
The Oyster Vision 1 has a problem, which started when Astra changed the transponders. Vision one is looking for a pre-programmed transponder to lock on to which no longer exists.
Unless you want to spend between £400 to £700 to get it fixed you will have to go to manual, on the control panel to find Astra 2 yourself.

Link Removed

Using the menu option go to manual you can control the dish from there but you do need to get it in the general direction of Astra 2. The rest I'm afraid is just trial and error.
If you look at the people around you ie Germans and Dutch their dishes will be in rough direction of Astra 2.
Other than that you are on your own.

Pete:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I assume you have the control panel that has the map of Europe on it. If not then you don't have a Vision 1, or you have a Vision 1 which has been modified, in which case ignore what follows.
The Oyster Vision 1 has a problem, which started when Astra changed the transponders. Vision one is looking for a pre-programmed transponder to lock on to which no longer exists.
Unless you want to spend between £400 to £700 to get it fixed you will have to go to manual, on the control panel to find Astra 2 yourself.

Link Removed

Using the menu option go to manual you can control the dish from there but you do need to get it in the general direction of Astra 2. The rest I'm afraid is just trial and error.
If you look at the people around you ie Germans and Dutch their dishes will be in rough direction of Astra 2.
Other than that you are on your own.

Sorry to disagree but this is not entirely accurate information. SOME of the Vision 1 models can be updated and some can't, whether or not yours can depends on what chip is inside the controller. Best bet is to contact Ten Haaft in Germany or when you're back in UK contact Oyster Sat Tech, they will, if its possible, reporgram your controller for about £65. We've sent a couple of units to them for customers and it takes about a week.

D.

OP
OP
S

starsky

Free Member
Aug 18, 2012
rct
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Thank all, its definitely a vision 1 it has the map and is a flip up, I have another three weeks untill I return and its the one thing I didn't check doh, got get it going to distract us from eating and drinking so much

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Sorry to disagree but this is not entirely accurate information. SOME of the Vision 1 models can be updated and some can't, whether or not yours can depends on what chip is inside the controller. Best bet is to contact Ten Haaft in Germany or when you're back in UK contact Oyster Sat Tech, they will, if its possible, reporgram your controller for about £65. We've sent a couple of units to them for customers and it takes about a week.

D.

I do indeed have the Atmega 103 chip which it is said cannot now be reprogrammed by sending it back.
However, when Astra changed the transponders the first time it could be sent back and for a fee of £65 be upgraded, so I had mine done.
Astra then did another change in September 2011 and I was informed that Ten Haaft could not or would not upgrade my box again and the only solution was a Vision 2 box @£700.:Sad:
I was also informed that even if I had the Atmega 128 chip and sent it in to be reprogrammed again, there was nothing to say that Astra wouldn't change transponders again, as new Satellites come on stream and or channels are switched to different transponders. Should this continue to happen then I would have to keep sending it back for upgrades @£65 a throw. How many times would one be prepared to shell out to keep, what as far as Ten Haaft is concerned is an obsolete system.:Angry:
The Vision 2 can be reprogrammed in situ.

I am relating only what I was told by an Oyster dealer.

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Thank all, its definitely a vision 1 it has the map and is a flip up, I have another three weeks untill I return and its the one thing I didn't check doh, got get it going to distract us from eating and drinking so much

This is how to tune manually if it helps.

With a apologies to the original publisher.

First you will need to turn on your receiver (Sky/Freesat) and bring up the signal test menu. For Sky boxes this is done by selecting settings on the remote followed by option 4 and then option 6.
Next, turn on your Vision I system and depending on your current whereabouts, choose the zone for your area (Uk-Top, France-Middle, Spain-Bottom). The system will search and see the satellite as normal but will be a few degrees to far to the south. Once it has realised this it will move slightly east and begin to fine tune. The problem is that the system can no longer decide which of these two areas is the correct one so will begin to do a box motion (Right,*Down, Left, Up)*between the two and eventually end up looking into the sky saying “No Satellite Found”.
What you will need to do is stop it before this happens. This is done by simply waiting for the system to start the box motion and as it goes down and to the left, press the “Menu” button which will stop the system dead. Then, using the right hand arrow on the box you will need to scroll across to “Manual Search” and press ok.
Once in this menu the up, down, left and right arrows will manually move the system (Please note: Right arrow moves it Left and vice versa). You will need to move the system southwards (to the right)*from its current location one*click at a time leaving five seconds before each click to allow the receiver time to see the signal. Once you see some signal on the Receivers signal test screen you will simply have to use all of the arrows to fine tune it until you have a strong signal. Once you are happy simply press the ok button on the controller to store.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Very intrigued by this thread and the comments so far...

My Oyster (with a map of Europe on the controller) was working absolutely fine as at end of April this year. Not been used since and now seems to be doing the fine tuning described above
(Point in roughly the right direction and then goes from left to right, scanning up and down as you describe - only by a dew degrees)

So it worked after the September 2011 change you mentioned (as it worked in April) but now (1st time used since April) it doesn't.

Has there been another change since then? Also, I wonder why the forums are not full of disgruntled owners if a lot of the systems are now struggling to lock on?

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Very intrigued by this thread and the comments so far...

My Oyster (with a map of Europe on the controller) was working absolutely fine as at end of April this year. Not been used since and now seems to be doing the fine tuning described above
(Point in roughly the right direction and then goes from left to right, scanning up and down as you describe - only by a dew degrees)

So it worked after the September 2011 change you mentioned (as it worked in April) but now (1st time used since April) it doesn't.

Has there been another change since then? Also, I wonder why the forums are not full of disgruntled owners if a lot of the systems are now struggling to lock on?

The disgruntled owners have been posting on various Satellite forums for a while now and with many, the names Ten Haaft and Oyster stink.
They were still selling and fitting the Vision 1 in 2005 so within 7 years a £2000+ auto seek system which can no longer auto seek is obsolete.
No wonder the word is "I'll replace my system but not with another Oyster".

Last edited:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Any idea why mine worked as recently as April and now appears like it may have the same fault?

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Any idea why mine worked as recently as April and now appears like it may have the same fault?

I can't answer that, as the main problem was created when the Sept '11 change took place and that was when Ten Haaft refused anymore upgrades for the early Vision 1 systems.

It would not surprise me if Astra did change some transponders or channel locations in April. I know that some channels have switched around on Astra2a, b, c, d. so that could be why yours doesn't work now.

The system is as I understand it, programmed to detect signals at specific frequencies to lock on, so if Astra, for what ever reason, change those frequencies, then the system has nothing to lock on to.

I haven't heard of any other Auto Seek systems suffering these problems, other than Caro which I believe is also a Ten Haaft product.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
After more research it seems that if the unit has a 103 chip then to as far as auto detecting astra 2 the box is dead.

If it has a 128 chip then it can be reprogrammed one last time for £65 (any more changes and the box is also obselete for suto astra 2 use) but a faster lnb may also be needed.

So a quick fix for a 128 chip costs £65

How much is a new controller if mine is a 103 chip?

OP
OP
S

starsky

Free Member
Aug 18, 2012
rct
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
Thanks again all, Pete I will try your method when I am in the next suitable place, I ell let you know how it goes cheers Ian

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
After more research it seems that if the unit has a 103 chip then to as far as auto detecting astra 2 the box is dead.

If it has a 128 chip then it can be reprogrammed one last time for £65 (any more changes and the box is also obselete for suto astra 2 use) but a faster lnb may also be needed.

So a quick fix for a 128 chip costs £65

How much is a new controller if mine is a 103 chip?

Keep up Bryan.:RollEyes:

This link might give you some ideas.

http://www.jacksonsuk.com/

Or you can get a Vision 2 control panel upgrade from these people.

http://www.oystersat-tech.com/

Do you want to pay another £65. for an upgrade that may only last a short time, as has happened before. To me for example.

OP
OP
S

starsky

Free Member
Aug 18, 2012
rct
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
This is how to tune manually if it helps.

With a apologies to the original publisher.

First you will need to turn on your receiver (Sky/Freesat) and bring up the signal test menu. For Sky boxes this is done by selecting settings on the remote followed by option 4 and then option 6.
Next, turn on your Vision I system and depending on your current whereabouts, choose the zone for your area (Uk-Top, France-Middle, Spain-Bottom). The system will search and see the satellite as normal but will be a few degrees to far to the south. Once it has realised this it will move slightly east and begin to fine tune. The problem is that the system can no longer decide which of these two areas is the correct one so will begin to do a box motion (Right,*Down, Left, Up)*between the two and eventually end up looking into the sky saying “No Satellite Found”.
What you will need to do is stop it before this happens. This is done by simply waiting for 7the system to start the box motion and as it goes down and to the left, press the “Menu” button which will stop the system dead. Then, using the right hand arrow on the box you will need to scroll across to “Manual Search” and press ok.
Once in this menu the up, down, left and right arrows will manually move the system (Please note: Right arrow moves it Left and vice versa). You will need to move the system southwards (to the right)*from its current location one*click at a time leaving five seconds before each click to allow the receiver time to see the signal. Once you see some signal on the Receivers signal test screen you will simply have to use all of the arrows to fine tune it until you have a strong signal. Once you are happy simply press the ok button on the controller to store.

Thanks Pete followed your advice, works well. Cheers

D

Deleted member 22420

Deleted User
astra satellite frequency changes

There's a very good write-up on these matters at http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/newsat.htm

But for anyone wanting access to UK channels next year and outside the UK the news isn't good!

If you're just seeking news services and can't receive Astra 1N (current UK satellite) try Astra 2A and search for BBC World, Euro News and France 24. The latter two are good examples of how an international news service should be run - take note BBC World!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back