Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
There's a guy on this site who's just turned up in a 1996 Fleetwood Bounder, 35', diesel pusher.

He is in the habit of checking the brake discs for overheating whenever he stops, and says they are not hot. Yet when he lifts the front wheels off the ground on his front (single, central) levelling jack, the wheels are very hard to turn round, as if the brakes are partly applied.

He would like to know if there is any kind of sensing system that detects the jack going down and applies the brakes?

So if anyone knows the answer to this, do post & put him out of his misery :Smile:

Thanks

Bruce

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Bruce there would be no point in having a devise that applies brakes in mid air would there:Doh:
But you can put him out of his missery, the most likely cause would be the weight of the wheel tipping on the bearing and applying pressure to the brake pads, he can if so minded remove the wheel and all will be free if not then brakes are binding and would be hot on inspection, If air brakes these may come on when engine is off and air pressure is low, start engine when on jacks if thats possible and re test, no doubt some one will be along to contradict my reasoning, one thing for sure is if brakes are coolish then no binding is taking place when on all six wheels are grounded
Geo

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
No there isn't, the brakes are not releasing as they should, could be corroded caliper sliders, partially seized pistons,brake hoses that are internally seperated or the master cylinder linkage seized. I bet it's either on an Oshkosh or Spartan chassis, they use the same caliper design and are prone to this problem.
Dunc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Bruce there would be no point in having a devise that applies brakes in mid air would there:Doh:
But you can put him out of his missery, the most likely cause would be the weight of the wheel tipping on the bearing and applying pressure to the brake pads, he can if so minded remove the wheel and all will be free if not then brakes are binding and would be hot on inspection, If air brakes these may come on when engine is off and air pressure is low, start engine when on jacks if thats possible and re test, no doubt some one will be along to contradict my reasoning, one thing for sure is if brakes are coolish then no binding is taking place when on all six wheels are grounded
Geo

Now Come on Geo. Surely everyone's heard of AIR BRAKES.:RollEyes::winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No there isn't, the brakes are not releasing as they should, could be corroded caliper sliders, partially seized pistons,brake hoses that are internally seperated or the master cylinder linkage seized. I bet it's either on an Oshkosh or Spartan chassis, they use the same caliper design and are prone to this problem.
Dunc.
Would not any or all of the above cause hot brakes Duncan?? he says they stay cool
hence me not stating the obvious
Geo

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I guess his wheel bearings are ok and are correctly adjusted?:thumb:

Sorry.Just thinking of other reasons why the wheels are hard to rotate.

Would cause heat buildup in the hubs though I guess.

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Wouldn't the brakes need to be 'on' to activate the jack anyway? Surely you wouldn't lift the wheels off the ground without some form of brake being applied?

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Wouldn't the brakes need to be 'on' to activate the jack anyway? Surely you wouldn't lift the wheels off the ground without some form of brake being applied?

Doesn't the parking brake work on the transmission? In which case the front wheels would still be free to rotate.

Doug

OP
OP
kijana

kijana

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Mostly in a car park.
Funster No
MH
C class Luton
Exp
4 years
Thanks for your replies, chaps.

Geo, I don't personally ever leave the wheels hanging when I use the levelling jacks, so if there was an 'autolock' system maybe they'd assume you left some weight on the wheels?

He says he has freed the pistons in the caliper bores, and lubed with Coppaslip (not something I'd do), so doesn't think the pistons are binding. If they were, I would have thought the discs would soon warm up?

I'll pass on all your thoughts, particularly re the wheel bearings.

Many thanks (& I'll try to get him to join this forum so he can ask his own questions next time! ::bigsmile:

Bruce

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Slightly off the topic I've been told that if I lift the front of my Monaco off the ground the windscreen (or should that be wind shield):ROFLMAO: can pop out, not sure if that's true :Confused::Confused: but not gonna try it anyway!:thumb:

regards Pat

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We have all heard that one Pat, go on try it!!!! you know we want you to,:ROFLMAO:then we can bury this one for good
Personally I doubt it, unless there fitted with rubber chassis:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I can quite honestly and truthfully say that I HAVE lifted both of my Monaco Cayman front wheels off of the ground at the same time - only about ½inch - so that I could adjust the wheel ramps positioning.

Nothing untoward happened except that my heart beat rate went skyhigh when the coach wobbled to one side a bit and I thought that it was going to fall off the jack.

No way am I (singlehanded) ever going to do that again :whatthe:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
We have all heard that one Pat, go on try it!!!! you know we want you to,:ROFLMAO:then we can bury this one for good
Personally I doubt it, unless there fitted with rubber chassis:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Nice one I'll go out in a minute and try Geo:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: My Monaco has that peculiar 3 point jacking system! One at the front in the middle (a pig to get a pad under) and the two others behind the back axle nearer the sides is the reason because if this set up?

Regards Pat

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi had mine up in the air couple of days ago when I serviced it, much easier to grease the kingpins etc. not for the first time either.

The theory is that the weight of the engine and axle will cause the front to droop popping the screen, never noticed any droop and I have looked, maybe older chassis suffered from this problem, P32's maybe??

Think its much more likely that as Linda's link suggests, that people twist the frame while leveling and pop the screen.

Olley

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back