How many of us are overloaded and by how much? (1 Viewer)

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
There have been a number of threads recently on weight and being stopped by the police.
I had been intending for some time to get a weighing done, but never got round to it.
So, before Malvern we were going to a site near Telford so we could get Dave Newall to fit our alarm (another story those of you near us at Malvern will know all about, sorry again for the noise - it still awaits a fix).
Anyway, having the two grandchildren with us I decided before we left home we would get it weighed. Enough water in the fresh tank to operate the toilet on the way own to Telford, a full tank of diesel and council weighbridges here we come.
Extras include additional leisure battery, 2 calor cylinders and a solar panel. Heaviest things other than that are an outside table and four chairs, food in the fridge and a small red gas barbecue.
Two adults and two children.
No awning, bikes, off-licence or anything that I would not have regarded as essential.
Our gvw is 4005Kg.
At the weighbridge our individual axles were under weight, not by a lot, but gross was 4014Kg.
It surprised me how little it took to take us overweight.
It also had me thinking how many actually take the trouble to have a weighing?
If, as has been intimated, the ministry and police are paying more attention to our community, then it could be expensive and a prohibition highly disruptive.
We got rid of some water and tinned food to take us under before setting off.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I've just had a tow bar fitted with bike rack for a 125cc scooter. Took the van to the weigh bridge on the way to Stratford. So, fully loaded with water, fuel, scooter and wife, given a gvw of 3500 it came out at 3420 kg. so not a lot to spare there! Amazingly it averaged 35mpg for the 400 mile trip.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Been wanting to weigh our Coral Slt since getting it. Managed to get to a local wood yard weigh bridge late last week.

Loaded everything up ( even the stuff we dont always carry ), FULL WATER TANK 110 LTRS, 1/2 fuel, 2 adults, 1 large 13kg and a 6kg gas bottles, bike etc.:thumb:

Was dissapointed to note that the gross weight was 3560 kgs. Both axles were within max allowed but chassis is down plated by Adria to 3500 kgs.:Angry:Sad:

So have now embarked on a weight saving drive.:Eeek:

The dumpimg of water to minimum really only compensates for additional fuel to a full tank. So need to be a bit more critcal of what we are carring and why.

Having taken litterraly everything out of the van and weighing it as best i can .... it appears i may not have the payload claimed in the manufacturers blurb.:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not many will admit it on an open forum but its a sad fact since motorhomers have demanded bigger and better things, like full size fridge freezers, bigger battery banks, bike and scooter racks, towbars, solar panel's, microwave ovens, etc, etc, etc. More storage space that because its there they have to find something to put in it. The chassis manufacturers are limited to what they can do with a chassis but the coachbuilder is only limited to what the customer wants and is willing to pay. We have heard threads of motorhomes with no spare wheel and no jack. The reason behind this is they are trying to save weight. Its at times like this I miss my old Tiffin with a massive 3 plus ton payload.
You only have to look at some motorhomes from a distance to see they are overloaded.

OP
OP
grumps147

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
Not many will admit it on an open forum but its a sad fact since motorhomers have demanded bigger and better things, like full size fridge freezers, bigger battery banks, bike and scooter racks, towbars, solar panel's, microwave ovens, etc, etc, etc. More storage space that because its there they have to find something to put in it. The chassis manufacturers are limited to what they can do with a chassis but the coachbuilder is only limited to what the customer wants and is willing to pay. We have heard threads of motorhomes with no spare wheel and no jack. The reason behind this is they are trying to save weight. Its at times like this I miss my old Tiffin with a massive 3 plus ton payload.
You only have to look at some motorhomes from a distance to see they are overloaded.
That is what surprised me, we were not down on the axles visibly, in fact it's hard to really notice a loaded/unloaded difference. I agree with you some do appear so from a distance.

I know many won't admit it, but if a few are persuaded to go for a weigh and it also saves a few becoming lighter in the wallet then all the better.

Last edited:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Intresting post we have a brand new Rapido 791ff that the French rate at 3500Kg

My rear axle is rated at 2000Kg and upon weighing was coming up at 2100Kg

I stripped almost everything out of the garage as the picture shows, the only exception being a 130 watt solar on the roof and an extra 100 amp hour battery.

upon re-weighing the rear axle weight was 1960Kg which really does make the big garage into a chocolate teapot and of course if you put 40Kg in the garage it weighs far more due to the long overhand and the lever effect

Incidently this is the one I toiled with the DVLA and got re-rated at 3700Kg but rear axle limit is still 2000Kg

Attachments

• rapido weights 003 (Medium).jpg
    rapido weights 003 (Medium).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 85

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Intresting post we have a brand new Rapido 791ff that the French rate at 3500Kg

My rear axle is rated at 2000Kg and upon weighing was coming up at 2100Kg

I stripped almost everything out of the garage as the picture shows, the only exception being a 130 watt solar on the roof and an extra 100 amp hour battery.

upon re-weighing the rear axle weight was 1960Kg which really does make the big garage into a chocolate teapot and of course if you put 40Kg in the garage it weighs far more due to the long overhand and the lever effect

Incidently this is the one I toiled with the DVLA and got re-rated at 3700Kg but rear axle limit is still 2000Kg

Snap Alan... I asked our dealer, do you have a weighbridge here... this dealer has well over a hundred vans at just one of his places...he looked very sheepish and said No.....and the customers would be surprised if they knew what weight they really are !!!!!:Eeek::Doh:...these are new Rapido and Chausson makes of vans we are talking about

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

All these above and more reducers your payload to zero...or even Minus...overloaded before start to put food in, clothes,bedding utensils.tools,.yourself of about 60 to 70kg I would guess most are above the weight allowed, then the wife, and a dog if you have and the dogs food, Diesel around 70% of the tank, water about the same 60 to 70ltrs:Eeek:

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Take ours to the local weighbridge regularly and get it checked especially before we set off on a long trip and as we carry a 650cc motorbike in the garage. Luckily we have a tag axle and at 4500kgs have a massive payload so we're never overloaded but the weight does tend to creep up over time as bits get added. Fortunately we used to own the weighbridge so get freeby weighs but even at a fiver a go its cheaper than getting booked for being overloaded.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Our gvw is 4005Kg.
At the weighbridge our individual axles were under weight, not by a lot, but gross was 4014Kg.

You say that your gvw is 4005kgs on your Autotrail.
We have recently bought a Comanche and when the V5C came back from the DVLA I noticed that they had spelled my name wrong. Whilst filling in section 6 before sending it back I thought I would look through it to see if anything else was wrong.

The revenue weight (gross) is given as 4005kgs, same as yours.
The number of axles is given at 2, same as yours.

Only difference is that the gvw should be 5000kgs and I have 3 axles.

When I queried this with Catterick Caravans they told me that the forms come pre-printed from Autotrail, ready to fill in, and that mine was definately wrong.

I have just checked on Autotrails web site and your gvw should be 4250kgs, train weight is 5300kgs and max tow weight is 1050kgs.

Worth looking into, wouldn't you think ?

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Take ours to the local weighbridge regularly and get it checked especially before we set off on a long trip and as we carry a 650cc motorbike in the garage. Luckily we have a tag axle and at 4500kgs have a massive payload so we're never overloaded but the weight does tend to creep up over time as bits get added. Fortunately we used to own the weighbridge so get freeby weighs but even at a fiver a go its cheaper than getting booked for being overloaded.

5quid ...... I wish. Just paid £10 today:cry:

At least we were well under our max of 4250Kg and that was fully laden with 2 electric bikes on the rack. :Cool:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I got mine weighed a few weeks ago with everything, full gas, water, junk, fuel and bikes on the back - mostly to ascertain the correct tyre pressures. It is worth doing, just for that as my pressures came down from 80psi to 52F/62R. Anyway, a tenner lighter was somewhat surprised find I still had nearly 500kg overall and over 400 kg available over each axle. Will weigh again in a few months time.

Rides much better on the lower pressures. End of "smug git" mode (though did have more than half an eye on the payload when I purchased the van - it eliminated a few potential purchases)

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I had mine weighed when we had the towbar fitted and with full tanks - inc 2x 11kg gas - and both of us on board. Came in at 3395 - was plated at 3400. Had it uprated to 3800 by SV Tech and now no worries :ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Never been weighed by the authorities.

Never known anyone who has been.

Never even known the brother of a second cousin's best friend who has been fined for being over weight.

Anyhow...

Twin rear wheels maybe crap for toll roads but are great for payload. :thumb:

Never ever do as I do... do as you think best... :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Never been weighed by the authorities.

Never known anyone who has been.

Never even known the brother of a second cousin's best friend who has been fined for being over weight.

Anyhow...

Twin rear wheels maybe crap for toll roads but are great for payload. :thumb:

Never ever do as I do... do as you think best... :ROFLMAO:

You obviously dont drive past Stafford on the M6 very often JJ. They always have motorhomes in there weighing them.

OP
OP
grumps147

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
Would be a long way round to get to shops for me Dave... :ROFLMAO:

One of my main problems living in the north west of the UK JJ is that most things we go to if we do not want to get wet, and have a raise in temperature and more sun, then it involves going south on the M6 past Stafford. I am also aware the NW motorway police are doing more weighing of all vehicles. Although only just retired I used to use that stretch of the M6 a lot when it meant car travel, and the M6 slip roads in the vicinity of that Stafford check site seems more than anywhere to have lurking police and VOSA vehicles - a none scientific observation I have to say.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
think you do have to remember that the nothwest is the transport hub of the uk . thats why the ministry have picked ways out from that area for hassling folk .
but even here in sunny cornwall there is a big layby near fraddon that gets used very often for pulling folk in . very busy it gets as well. 3,500kg campers are almost garanteed to fail the weighings so i,m told . but be careful dont overload . might not be you that causes a problem but thet can still inspect all vehicles in a bad smack . if over weight you will be in trouble .
having been in a fatal accident .not caused by me. i have seen the reports of the vehicle examinatons . its amazing . brake pad thickness etc drum size as to standard . they really go to town . not worth it . be safe .

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
NOT ME !!

LOL

i do not take the kids the bikes other people LOL

just little old me and a trailer on the back
well under my VGWL

and i am legal tugging the car on trailer PC Richard bull told me so :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I am worried

Yesterday afternoon, having loaded most of the kit on my wagon ready for the next few weeks, I decided to call at the local weighbridge.

Now I am worried.

It showed as 70kg UNDER weight, so allowing for the laptop going on and fridge which was not full still well under.

Ever since I have been trying to think ‘what have I forgotten to load’?:RollEyes:

I suppose it’s one of the advantages of going solo.:Smile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
the last time i had ours on a weigh bridge we were 150kg over on the rear axles but 300kg under our plated max of 5000kg so i re-arranged the loadings of things to compensate.

although there are only 2 of us in a 6 berth van it really shows what a waste of space some of the rear garages / storage lockers are on bigger euro vans.

i have also heard that a lot of 3500kg coach built vans have no payload once you have put water in the tank never mind food and clothing for 4 people and the 4 people of course.

as a rule of thumb if you count each person as between 100kg and 150kg for the person and a weeks clothing you wont be far off the mark.

OP
OP
grumps147

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
the last time i had ours on a weigh bridge we were 150kg over on the rear axles but 300kg under our plated max of 5000kg so i re-arranged the loadings of things to compensate.

although there are only 2 of us in a 6 berth van it really shows what a waste of space some of the rear garages / storage lockers are on bigger euro vans.

i have also heard that a lot of 3500kg coach built vans have no payload once you have put water in the tank never mind food and clothing for 4 people and the 4 people of course.

as a rule of thumb if you count each person as between 100kg and 150kg for the person and a weeks clothing you wont be far off the mark.

Oh dear, I think this means I have only a 2 day clothes ration.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Malcolm Bolt

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2011
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
old A class
Exp
since 2011

AH that's the problem - We are almost fulltimers and s such I have been instructed that means clothes for 50 weeks plus matching bags and shoes as well as bags to keep the bags and shoes in.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: No wonder I as was 450 kg overweight when I first got it checked in France last year. :Eeek::Eeek:

Now lost quite a bit of kit and getting re-plated. - But I so want Beeny boxes and extra batteries - and-and-and :Sad::Sad::Sad:

Aug 24, 2011
Ribble valley, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Overloaded when I bought it

I have just taken delivery of an 18 month old Auto-Trail Apache 634. Being an excited new owner I read every piece of paper in the van and found that the max weight on the road is 3500kg but nothing to say what the payload was. I went to see the original supplier of the van and they could not tell me the payload but suggested I ring Auto Trail. I was told that the original owners had specified almost all the extras possible and then after that added tow bar, T bar, Sat dish etc. when I had the van weighed with a tank of fuel, no water, little luggage, no people it came out at 3510kg. Being a svelt 85kg bloke i wasnt happy about driving it home. Since then SV Tech have replanted the van at 3700kg, legal for now, but still not enough for 2 people and 2 bikes. If I add air suspension and 112 load rated tyres I can have it replayed again to 3850kg. Total expenditure will be at least £1000, I love my van but am very dissolusioned be the motorhome industry.

Does anyone know who makes tyres with this spec 215/70R15CP112R

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can only blame the customers they buy big vans with no payload .
even before the lic changes folk bought too light a vehicles . 5ton was a big camper years ago . but really a 7.5ton is ideal. these days 3.5 ton -7.5 ton almost same vehicle just weight differances .

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I think it is strange that new or at least modern vans seem to be made a lot heavier than older models.My 97 compass drifter is only rated at 3200 but loaded for a couple of weeks in France we still manage to come in just below(only just!) admittedly we are weight conscious but have a roof solar panel and take everything needed, the only things we have removed is the lift out part of the overhead bed(don't use it and gives more storage space) and the table replaced with lighter one .

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Its good sense to keep the weight below the plated weght for the vehicle, as that is all that VOSA will look at if they stop you. They will roll you over a weight pad and get a total and axle reading, this is more important for us really.
Although VOSA are relinquishing their HGV testing centres to private enterprise, meaning that there are many more roadside checkpoints being set up, the have their hands full with policing the foreign trucks on our roads, not to mention the financially crushed UK operators, motorhomes are not, as far as i have heard, at the top of their priority.

It would make sense, to get your vehicle weighed, and keep the ticket in the cab. Obviously you will get it weighed in "trip" condition, and as long as the weight is legal, and you dont overly exceed it, you should be alright.
VOSA have the power to put a GV9 on your vehcile, which prohibits its movement until it has been unloaded, the would normally only do that, if it was deemed to be dangerous...or you ran off at the mouth:Eeek:.
With us, they do not accept that we do not know the law, ignorance i never an excuse, but a motorhomer who,s wife has slid too many fray bentos pies into the locker, would not get treated like a foreign trucker with a shitheap of a truck who,s running on a bent tacho.

The thing to remember, is WHY there are laws against overloading, its because it makes a vehicle unstable, affects the braking, and in bad weather can make it a death trap.......it also drinks more fuel, common sense will keep everyone on the right side of the law i would think.:thumb:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
When clearing out our MoHo, having just changed our Hymer B584
It was scary just how much 'stuff ' was being carried.
It seemed like I was lugging tons of kit out of it to store in the garage.

The Hymer was blessed with massive storage space both under the floor and inside and it seems the more space there is, the more we carry.

Now I have had time to sort though all of the kit I took out, and reload it into our new PCV I can honestly say that most of what I was carrying was never or very little used.

I dread to think what our all up weight was as I never had it checked

Maybe if you get a chance over the winter it may be a good time to completly empty out the Moho and have a good sort out.

Believe me it,s SCARY :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
When clearing out our MoHo, having just changed our Hymer B584
It was scary just how much 'stuff ' was being carried.
It seemed like I was lugging tons of kit out of it to store in the garage.

The Hymer was blessed with massive storage space both under the floor and inside and it seems the more space there is, the more we carry.

Now I have had time to sort though all of the kit I took out, and reload it into our new PCV I can honestly say that most of what I was carrying was never or very little used.

I dread to think what our all up weight was as I never had it checked

Maybe if you get a chance over the winter it may be a good time to completly empty out the Moho and have a good sort out.

Believe me it,s SCARY :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

as you take it out of the van just bob it on the bathroom scales and add it all up then you will be scared :whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back