Free Member
Aug 17, 2012
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class Dethleffs
Exp
since 2011
New to mh ing but when levelling a tag axle do I need to put levellers under both tag axle wheels on the same side or just one. I guess one but thought I would check

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Logic says both wheels on one side or all four if you want to raise the whole back end.

raising just one wheel (or axle) will put a heavy workload on the raised axle and take some weight off the second axle...which is there to spread the total load.

i think i know where you're coming from though... difficulty getting a ramp under both wheels of each axle is a problem.

f6c

Nov 7, 2010
gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
23 Years
leveling

Its better to level all 4 wheels:winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my trailer is close coupled .never had to level it at all .just park on as flat a ground as you can . then dont worry about it .

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
It doesnt help if the slope is from sideways not front to back.
I have the same question as i have just bought some levellers. Impossible to level both wheels on the tag axle isnt it?

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Never had a tag axle but, thinking about it logically, wouldn't it be easier to park the other way on and simply level a front wheel?

Yes, but not always possible on a site as they often dictate which way round you have to be.

Have reversed onto ramps with mine once, no way to raise both axles, didn't like the kook of it.

Steve

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I've said it before, I'll say it again. If your wine stays in the glass and you don't fall out of bed - then you're level (enough).

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Having a tag axle van there is no way I'm faffing around with levelling the rear wheels. If possible I'll do as Graham says and park to level the fronts instead. If not I'll find the most level spot that I can and live with a slight slope if needs be. You soon develop a feel for being level as you drive over fields. :Smile:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just put ramps under one axle thats all I've done and had mine 2 years levelling takes 2 minutes tops. I'm sure if you stayed on a sight for months on end its advisable to take some of the weight on the second axle but for normal touring just do one and enjoy it.:Smile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Not that I have a tag but could you not put 2 levelers back to back and then either back or drive on so that each wheel is on it's own leveler.

If the gap between the wheels is too wide for that, you could use a block of wood between the levelers.

Just a suggestion:Blush:

Pete:Cool:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
In 7 / 8 years travelling I've only ever once been on a site where I could'nt get reasonably level. That was in the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee even with the jacks right down and blocks under the jacks we still had an unacceptable slope. When we asked to move to another pitch the guy refused so we just packed up at moved to another campsite, so don't really think getting level is a big problem.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
In my tag I used to point down hill and level the front as previous people have said.

After 3 years I gave my levelling blocks away. I can judge when I am level enough for my needs.

I have never been on a site where you all have to face a set direction until last week in Edale. I will never go back to that site again:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back