Whats the most iritating design feature on your van? (2 Viewers)

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Every time we use our van there is one element that annoys me the most and it is the fact that the switch for the light in the bathroom is in the far corner by the window high up on the wall, great if are tall but for me I have to reach on tiptoe across the built in cupboards to reach it. Riddiculous what is wrong with a pull cord inside the door. Whoever designed that should be strung up, maybe that is why there is no pullcord.

So what annoys you in your vans? :Smile: design wise that is not the husband/wife/cat/dog.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
THAT ITS NOT 3.5TON other than that its perfect.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gawatt

Free Member
Mar 25, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
In the first!
Snappy cupboards - springs so strong that if you let go of them, they close with a thunderclap-like bang. Good for keeping stuff in, not so good for nerves.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The blooming fridge

The fridge on our Autotrail tracker does not have a lock - only a magnet.

So everytime you go round a roundabout the blinking door opens :Angry:

OP
OP
Lindylooj

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011

Oh dear must be annoying, stick something heavy on the floor in front of door. Perhaps i should send you one of my cakes ::bigsmile:, no they're not that bad really.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Every time we use our van there is one element that annoys me the most and it is the fact that the switch for the light in the bathroom is in the far corner by the window high up on the wall, great if are tall but for me I have to reach on tiptoe across the built in cupboards to reach it. Riddiculous what is wrong with a pull cord inside the door. Whoever designed that should be strung up, maybe that is why there is no pullcord.

So what annoys you in your vans? :Smile: design wise that is not the husband/wife/cat/dog.

Our toilet washroom is the same, the light switch is high up in the far corner. As SWMBO is vertically challenged I fitted a small self adhesive LED light from Ikea on the ceiling. £4 if I remember correctly.

Link Removed

It takes 3 rechargeable AAA batteries. It has a small PIR sensor fitted. So everytime you open the door the light comes on automatically. Batteries last about 6 months between recharges.:thumb::thumb:

Perfect for those nightime visits for a comfort break........:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lindylooj

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Our toilet washroom is the same, the light switch is high up in the far corner. As SWMBO is vertically challenged I fitted a small self adhesive LED light from Ikea on the ceiling. £4 if I remember correctly.

Link Removed

It takes 3 rechargeable AAA batteries. It has a small PIR sensor fitted. So everytime you open the door the light comes on automatically. Batteries last about 6 months between recharges.:thumb::thumb:

Perfect for those nightime visits for a comfort break........:thumb:

Brilliant i just have to get the other half to take me to the nearest Ikea, about a 1.5hr drive LOL and this will be hard as that £4 will probably turn into a couple of hundred. Great idea, ebay here I come. :thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We soon tired of the bloody HUGE fixed table in our lounge!

You needed have a figure like Kate Moss to manoeuvre around it!

Well, it's gone now and has been replaced with a removable one on a Fiamma leg system!:thumb:

Having said that, it goes back in to provide a third bed for an annual lad's road trip!::bigsmile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
The hab.door catch and the ones on the garage doors of our Rapido that retain the doors open------absolute rubbish

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Kitchen sink takes an age to drain away. The pipe fom the drain to the downpipe is horizontal, plenty of room to have put a drop on it and would have made it a lot quicker.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Autotrail

Kitchen sink takes an age to drain away. The pipe fom the drain to the downpipe is horizontal, plenty of room to have put a drop on it and would have made it a lot quicker.

You must have a autotrail - our sink drain s so slow!!!!!
:Doh:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Just wondered if one of the "child safety" fridge locks would work for you on your fridge. The ones that Mothercare would sell?
Margaret:Smile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Drips from top of habitation door

The one thing that really annoys us is that when it's raining we get all the drips coming down from the top of the habitation door when you open it:RollEyes:
We don't know whether it's just an Elddis thing or whether other funsters have a similar problem.
We wondered if there was a "rubber thingy" that could be clipped around the top of the door to prevent this and take the rain down the sides of the van rather than straight down onto the inside of the step.:Angry:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
The one thing that really annoys us is that when it's raining we get all the drips coming down from the top of the habitation door when you open it:RollEyes:
We don't know whether it's just an Elddis thing or whether other funsters have a similar problem.
We wondered if there was a "rubber thingy" that could be clipped around the top of the door to prevent this and take the rain down the sides of the van rather than straight down onto the inside of the step.:Angry:

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-B...s-and-motorhomes/Fiamma-Drip-Stop-Mini-Gutter

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Ours is the same, it doesn't take much to clog it up either. OH says that's why he doesn't like to wash the dishes:RollEyes:
Margaret::bigsmile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
That's brilliant! Many thanks for the information, that's looks just exactly what we need for the van, just the thing to deflect the rainwater:thumb:
Ours must have been designed by a man, because a woman would have thought of that..............:roflmto:
Margaret

That's exactly what we used works a treat but you think the manufacturers would have thought of it and put it on in the first place, I do see them as standard on some vans.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have a habitation light that I hit my head on when getting down from the pull down overhead bed in the cab area which irritates me.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005

Gutter strip is great. We had a problem on our James Cook as the whole high top is sitting in the original Sprinter gutter and is completely filled with sealant.
Our solution was to buy a long strip, available from RV dealerships, and attach it the full length of the van. (Indicated with the orange arrow).:thumb:

Attachments

• AireLaruns (1).jpg
    AireLaruns (1).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 44

gawatt

Free Member
Mar 25, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
In the first!

We discovered these a few months ago and went a bit mad. They're in all the often-used cupboards in the van - especially useful in the kitchen where the deeper larder cupboards can be quite dark. :Smile:

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
Hubby has a slight stoop and as he gets into the van he can give his head a real hit against the sharp edge of the over head cupboard. Saddly it hasn't knocked any sense into him yet. :ROFLMAO: For him though it is the one reason he would sell the van.

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Think the only thing is the clip thingy thats supposed to hold the hab door open. It doesn't so blows closed in the slightest breeze.

The hab.door catch and the ones on the garage doors of our Rapido that retain the doors open------absolute rubbish

Ours too - it must be a Rapido thing - think it's on the list for a bit of a tweak :RollEyes:

We soon tired of the bloody HUGE fixed table in our lounge!

You needed have a figure like Kate Moss to manoeuvre around it!

Well, it's gone now and has been replaced with a removable one on a Fiamma leg system!:thumb:

Having said that, it goes back in to provide a third bed for an annual lad's road trip!::bigsmile:

We have a large circular table which folds in half and, despite the fact that it moves up and down, round and round and side to side, it is difficult to sit comfortably around it (or is it that we don't have sylph-like figures...? :Blush: )
Not yet managed to source a replacement but do know that there is one (somewhere) as the alternative layout to our model shows a rectangular table which folds in half to a neat little square one :thumb:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
The lurid mirrored and bright blue LED-lit cocktail cabinet - with no way to switch the blue LEDs off without major disassembly of the van's innards. I've turned it into a bookcase instead to get rid of the hideous glare. :RollEyes:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
The habitation door catch seems to be a common problem.Anyone got a fix for this? I tried putting tape on it to bulk it out but it still doesn't hold and slams at the slightest breath of wind!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back