Navfree for android, anyone tried it in france (1 Viewer)

Scooby1973

Free Member
Aug 18, 2012
london
Funster No
MH
rollerteam
Exp
im a newbie
Its free app for android has maps for most of the world for free and works on gps so no data download, anyone used it around europe with a motorhome?

OP
OP
S

Scooby1973

Free Member
Aug 18, 2012
london
Funster No
MH
rollerteam
Exp
im a newbie
The biggest question is WHY ?

What's the catch, it looks a saleable product, why give it away ?
Its made up of shared maps from other people, it works fine in the uk, i just need to know how good it is in europe, i have heard it will get you to the street but not the house number.

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Its made up of shared maps from other people, it works fine in the ukLink Removed

Thanks for that, new one on me, thought the GNU concept isn't.

Checked a few rural bits round here and it's excellent mapping.

The link you posted hinted at a paid upgrade, now that I can understand.

I'll give it a try.

OP
OP
S

Scooby1973

Free Member
Aug 18, 2012
london
Funster No
MH
rollerteam
Exp
im a newbie
What I have noticed is it didn't like London to Paris for example. It uses map for UK and a different one for France so would have to map to dover then use France map when you arrive in calais.

OP
OP
S

Scooby1973

Free Member
Aug 18, 2012
london
Funster No
MH
rollerteam
Exp
im a newbie
I have tried it with data turned off and wifi off and it still work's .

OP
OP
S

Scooby1973

Free Member
Aug 18, 2012
london
Funster No
MH
rollerteam
Exp
im a newbie
Tried the navfree for a 100 mile journey in the uk yesterday, wifi and data turned off and found no problems at all. Works great, if you do make a wrong turn it is very quick to recalculate. Just need someone to try it out in europe. The navigation maps that come with your phone all need data this one doesnt.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
All I see from the link is downloads for Crapple products. The Android page is strangely reluctant to do anything.

Has anyone downloaded the Android version of this?

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
All I see from the link is downloads for Crapple products. The Android page is strangely reluctant to do anything.

Has anyone downloaded the Android version of this?

try this link

Downloaded it the other day and used it for the first time this morning in anger to get to the head office - 90miles and it did OK

Only real grumble is adding POI's - dont think you can or at least i havent worked outhow, and i have loads on copilot for campsites, wildcamping spots, aires etc etc

But...it worked quite well, lots of options to fine tune your route planning, traffic and speed camers are coming sometime soon

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Bungy, thanks for that.

I was especially confused when the OP specifically started a thread "Navfree for Android" when there was patently no (insert swearword of choice) Android download available.

* .... and r e l a x .... *

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yes, no problem via the nauseatingly named Google Play.
Must agree about google play, however, I also loaded it successfully and works ok.

It is a great pity that it doesn't cover north America as this would have been very useful in a couple of weeks time. Is anyone aware of a paid for update with the US maps included.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Must agree about google play, however, I also loaded it successfully and works ok.

It is a great pity that it doesn't cover north America as this would have been very useful in a couple of weeks time. Is anyone aware of a paid for update with the US maps included.

here you go...and its free

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
navfree

I have been using it for over a year. It seems just as good as any other GPS unit. There have been regular updates to maps and functions. They added post codes this year and seem to have done a good job.

Highly recommended.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Tried it and its as good as tomtom, just got to work out how to change it to miles and the POI, job done..

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Got Bruges by Copilot live. Downloaded Benelux map here, bang on in middle of Bruges. Not often free is this good. Nice one Navfree.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Took me 4 hours to download it to my phone but we were in a poor signal area, looks good, tez used on in the car behind me while i drove the van and he said it didn't go from the start so i will have to have a go while he uses the Snooper , thanks for the tip on changing it to mph, now i haven't got to convert in my head.also gives the option to change vehicle to large vehicle so have it set to truck, very handy as these truck navigation systems are so expensive as we found with the Snooper, now we have one for free!!!! At the moment anyway until they do an upgrade.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Have been using Nav free for a couple of weeks now, purchased a car holder and a larger battery for my S2. It has worked without a hitch with both data and wifi turned off. Looking forward to next week when I can give it a good test in America. I have downloaded all the relevant states so not taking up the offer of a £10 a day hire car sat nav.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back