Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I decided to defrost my fridge....

I turned it off and opened the door. An hour later I saw that the inch thick ice under the freezer compartment was starting to sag so I decided to give it a bit of a hand with a knife.......

Yup. I punctured the pipe and got a long, loud and smelly stream of the gas coming out.

One fecked up fridge just because I had no patience.... :Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

Off to cook all my food and eat it now....

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you may be able to find a local fridge place that will solder it and re-gas it for you. but do it soon they dont like doing it if its left awhile as water can get into the works . google refrigerators in your are . bound to be one .

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
"been there" :cry: horrible annoying sinking " expensive " feeling:Doh:.

They say " patience is a virtue" i often wish i had more and while i'm in confessions mode .... read the odd instruction booklet " before"!!!!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

good luck with the extended proteen meal:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I was working in the middle east a few years ago. Saw guys working in the street, soldering up fridges and regasing with the most simplist kit.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Not much help now I know, but if you are tempted again use a wooden spatula, it works without the risk.
Hope the cooking goes well.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was working in the middle east a few years ago. Saw guys working in the street, soldering up fridges and regasing with the most simplist kit.
I have a friend who does it. However he has disappeared off the face of the earth about 2 years ago. He would solder the copper on the back of a fridge or braze the steel. Not sure about the inside though as it is aluminium which is a sod to work with... It's an old fridge so probably had freon in it as well.

you may be able to find a local fridge place that will solder it and re-gas it for you. but do it soon they dont like doing it if its left awhile as water can get into the works . google refrigerators in your are . bound to be one .
I won't bother to be honest... I did do a search but it is likely to cost between £100-£200 these days due to enviromental issues... I needed a smaller fridge anyway. Just not now...

Not much help now I know, but if you are tempted again use a wooden spatula, it works without the risk.
I know, I have a scraper just for this job. I couldn't find my scraper so being impatient I used a knife with a very sharp point :Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

I am an idiot and a fool... I have just saved up enough money to get new tyres all round and a new oil sump fitted. I now have to decide which is most important.

To cap it all off my mum has just told me today that her infection is back so I may have to cancel Portugal for the second year in a row. She had her hip done a year ago and it is still getting infections in the wound... I daren't leave in case she needs me. I could never forgive myself if something happened and I couldn't get back..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Gromett I have or I should say my mate has ( my ) old 3 way fridge that was/still is working last time we plugged it in ::bigsmile:It is about 70 ltr but with the old gas jet viewing glass in the inside cnr.You are welcome to it if you are anywhere near me.If you want it let me know and I will make 100% sure it is both working and he still has it :thumb:Not sure where it is hiding as his shed is almost as bad as my garage ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Terry, That is extremely kind of you. Unfortunately I have no vents on the van as the current fridge is a compressor fridge. I will have to bite the bullet and buy another compressor fridge...

Thanks again though..

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I decided to defrost my fridge....

I turned it off and opened the door. An hour later I saw that the inch thick ice under the freezer compartment was starting to sag so I decided to give it a bit of a hand with a knife.......

Yup. I punctured the pipe and got a long, loud and smelly stream of the gas coming out.

One fecked up fridge just because I had no patience.... :Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh:

Off to cook all my food and eat it now....

Yep :winky:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sorry to hear that, however being and accident rather than wear and tear it is surely covered by your insurance? I hope so anyway. do let us know how you get on.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

...and a hair dryer.

Wyn

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
sorry to hear that, however being and accident rather than wear and tear it is surely covered by your insurance? I hope so anyway. do let us know how you get on.

Well, Third day without the fridge and it has not affected me in the slightest. I have adapted to it very easily without issue.

The upside is my batteries are staying fully charged. I can stay off hookup indefinately now :thumb::thumb:

More wilding:Eeek::ROFLMAO:

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I am an idiot and a fool...

To cap it all off my mum has just told me today that her infection is back so I may have to cancel Portugal for the second year in a row. She had her hip done a year ago and it is still getting infections in the wound... I daren't leave in case she needs me. I could never forgive myself if something happened and I couldn't get back..

Well Gromett me old mate I have to say that me and you often differ in our opinions but in this particualr case I can honestly say that I wholeheartedly agree with you 100 %...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

On a more serious note I hope your mum soon gets better...:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back