putting aires on garmin satnav (1 Viewer)

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
I saw some advice earlier but now I can#t find it. Can anyone advise us how to copy from memory stick onto our Garmin satnav. We have a stick with all the French aires on it.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Step 1
Is the POI file of the aires in Garmin format? It needs to be either a .gpx file or a comma delimited .csv file. If it is not one of these (possibly a TomTom .ov2 format) you will need to convert it. We'll leave that issue to one side for the moment.

Step2
Download the POI Loader software (free) from Garmin's website and install it on your computer. It is available for Mac and Windows.

Step 3
Attach the Garmin to the computer using the USB cable and put it in standby mode (instructions on Garmin's website).

Step 4
Launch POI Loader and it will find your Garmin. Download any POI files already on your Garmin to the computer. This is important as the subsequent upload will overwrite any POI files you already have stored. Put the files in a new folder created on your computer.

Step 5
Copy the new aires POI file into the same folder you created in step 4, alongside those you previously downloaded to save. You can put the aires file in a subfolder if you wish and they will appear on the Garmin under that folder's title.

Step 6
Relaunch POI Loader and choose the upload option from the drop-down box. All your saved POI files will be uploaded to the Garmin.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Look at

Active Campers' site - see
Link Removed

Lots of files to download here...including the one you want, in the correct format.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
aires on satnav

Thank you so very much JeanLuc. We'll try that this evening. Not sure what the info on the stick is. Daughter bought it online. Will have to have a look. But thank you again. Will let you know how we get on. We have just successfully updated our Garmin. Hope they can't get too full of info and crash?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
aires on Garmin

Thank you Vienniese. Looks a bit frightening. If it doesn't work will it mess up our Garmin????

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Hi Jean. I don't think anything will mess up your Garmin but I'm in a complete pickle with mine. Philip has given such clear instructions but I get lost around the 'uploading' bit. There is nothing on my Garmin POI loader thinging which has a dropdown box which says 'upload'. I know that Philip is a real clever clogs so it must be me but .......................! Not to worry, where there is a will there's a way. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I saw some advice earlier but now I can#t find it. Can anyone advise us how to copy from memory stick onto our Garmin satnav. We have a stick with all the French aires on it.

If you go to www.Garmin.com you can download a manual for your device.
There is also excellent phone support on 0808 238 0000 they will talk you through anything you want to do.
Mike

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
putting aires on Garmin

Hi Jean. I don't think anything will mess up your Garmin but I'm in a complete pickle with mine. Philip has given such clear instructions but I get lost around the 'uploading' bit. There is nothing on my Garmin POI loader thinging which has a dropdown box which says 'upload'. I know that Philip is a real clever clogs so it must be me but .......................! Not to worry, where there is a will there's a way. ::bigsmile:

Ivy
Hello Ivy. It's June by the way - not Jean. So much help given I don't know where to start. People are very kind. Will try something in the morning when I'm feeling fresher. Let me know (anyone) who has tried and succeeded! Was life easier when you just had a map and a tongue in your head - a schoolgirl French tongue???

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you so very much JeanLuc. We'll try that this evening. Not sure what the info on the stick is. Daughter bought it online. Will have to have a look. But thank you again. Will let you know how we get on. We have just successfully updated our Garmin. Hope they can't get too full of info and crash?
My guess would be Camping Car Infos as in http://campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm
Your Garmin will just say not enough space to copy file if there's too much data and not enough storage space on the Garmin.

Loujess - IIRC Garmin uploader in Express mode doesn't actually say "upload" within its steps, I think it just says next, next....etc. then says copied. Or something like that, haven't done it for ages.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Camping Car Infos is, in my opinion, the best source of Aires POI files.
http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm

Have to agree with you there ::bigsmile: I had them on my Mio and it was set to alert me of any Aire within 1km. The one thing I regret about changing to Garmin is the inability to set alerts for POI's-you have to scroll through list until you find one that you want. Support at Garmin say it's not a feature people want !!

Mike.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hello Ivy. It's June by the way - not Jean. So much help given I don't know where to start. People are very kind. Will try something in the morning when I'm feeling fresher. Let me know (anyone) who has tried and succeeded! Was life easier when you just had a map and[HI] a tongue in your head - a schoolgirl French tongue???[/HI]

That takes me back more years than I care to think of :ROFLMAO:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Hi JeanLuc,

I've just bought a Garmin 2699 and I want to add the Campingcar-infor aires poi's.
You mention that they need to be either.gpx or .cvs

CC-i don't specify for TomTom or Garmin (unless it's the two icons ASCII and TOMTOM) and I cannot see what format the downloaded poi's are in other than ov2.
Can you help me please?
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back