Fridge Running, Burning Gas, 24/7 (1 Viewer)

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Whilst at the Saltfleet Gala meet this weekend. I noticed the fridge (Dometic RML 8555) was running (burning gas) continuously. I could hear and see the burner running and feel the heat venting from the upper exhaust vent. It just never stopped.

The fridge was cooling ok, food in the freezer compartment stayed frozen, beer was cold.
If I adjusted the temperature setting the fridge got colder as I increased the setting (checked with a thermometer inside down to 2 deg C).

I disconnected the thermostat from the cooling fins, gave it a clean and put it back with no difference. The fins were not iced up, and water was collecting and draining on the water trap under the fins.

I don't remember it running, (burning gas), continuously 24/7 previously...
There are no error warnings showing on the LCD control panel.

Any suggestions, ideas etc welcomed.......

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Completely ignorant about modern fridges with their automatic power selection stuff but all my fridges, when on gas, have a flame alight all the time.

Do the modern ones switch the gas off and then relight as it warms up a little?

JJ

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Completely ignorant about modern fridges with their automatic power selection stuff but all my fridges, when on gas, have a flame alight all the time.

Do the modern ones switch the gas off and then relight as it warms up a little?

JJ

Hi JJ, it switches over to gas as soon as the engine stops, when you pull up.

I can see it's burning strongly through the little aperture when I remove the vent covers. I can actually hear the gas burning from inside the van and outside. But I thought that when the fridge got down to temperature, the gas burner would be regulated by the thermostat so it would be going on and off intermittently, maintaining temperature as required

It's just that I noticed this weekend it was "burning" constantly without ever cutting off.

Is this normal is what I'm wondering as I never noticed it before?:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
when set to gas or if no EHU is detected, the fridge will light the flame 15minutes after the engine stops in case your at a petrol pump. the flame then stays lit all the time gas is supplied and the settings remain the same. the thermostat will control the size of the flame but will remain lit as a pilot light. you should never run a fridge on gas with winter vent covers on due to carbon monoxide entering the van

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I think you will find it's supposed to, mines the same.

Thanks .... I've just never noticed it before. It's was only this weekend I could hear it all the time. Maybe it's just got noisier and needs a service / cleaning.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
when set to gas or if no EHU is detected, the fridge will light the flame 15minutes after the engine stops in case your at a petrol pump. the flame then stays lit all the time gas is supplied and the settings remain the same. the thermostat will control the size of the flame but will remain lit as a pilot light. you should never run a fridge on gas with winter vent covers on due to carbon monoxide entering the van
Hi big 1 you can run the fridge on gas with covers on :Smile:the right hand side has it's own vent that is always open :thumb: This is where you feel the heat :winky: it is designed to both breath and vent through that bit :thumb: Your fridge should also be sealed off to the inside so no fumes can /should enter the living accommodation :Smile:
terry

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
when set to gas or if no EHU is detected, the fridge will light the flame 15minutes after the engine stops in case your at a petrol pump. the flame then stays lit all the time gas is supplied and the settings remain the same. [HI] the thermostat will control the size of the flame but will remain lit as a pilot light. you[/HI] should never run a fridge on gas with winter vent covers on due to carbon monoxide entering the van

That's what I thought that the flame should go up and down depending on demand and the pilot will remain light at all times. Ours is running and burning high all the time 24/7...:Eeek:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi big 1 you can run the fridge on gas with covers on :Smile:the right hand side has it's own vent that is always open :thumb: This is where you feel the heat :winky: it is designed to both breath and vent through that bit :thumb: Your fridge should also be sealed off to the inside so no fumes can /should enter the living accommodation :Smile:
terry

in a perfect world where the fridge is fitted to prevent leaks of air or gasses, like building the cabinet yourself, then no flue gasses vent inside the van. In reality, the fridge will work ok, but even if you get the slightest draught around the fridge, that will blow hydrocabons and carbon monoxide into the van. therefore its "best practice" and safer to always remove at least one vent cover when operating on gas and both if you can. helps the fridge work better too

if you need to use your fridge on gas in sub zero temperatures you really need to ensure the fridge ie hermetically sealed from the burner area and that if the fridge needs to be removed and refitted, then it gets resealed. It doesnt have to be rocket science to seal it, but every euro van I have seen tends to have problems. one in particular I remember seeing there was soot staining on the wall above the fridge worktop. the family that owned the van had no idea what was causing it or why they always had "a hangover type headache" most mornings after a night in the van.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That's what I thought that the flame should go up and down depending on demand and the pilot will remain light at all times. Ours is running and burning high all the time 24/7...:Eeek:

if the fridge is responding to adjusting the thermostat, it must be adjusting the flame, you maybe cant see the difference. if you can hear a light roaring noise coming from the burner, this often indicates a problem with the jet. it should be virtually inaudible in operation. it could be a build up of oily deposits in the jet or even a tiny bit of rust dropped in there

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Are you running the fridge too cold ?

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Are you running the fridge too cold ?

When on gas I normally run the fridge on 2..... (1 = minimum cooling, 5 = coldest setting).

Over the course of the weekend I ran the fridge on various settings from 1 to 4 and back to 1.

On all settings it just kept "burning" strongly, strong enough that I could hear the burner from the overcab bunk... Sounds a bit like a mini hot air balloon burner......:whatthe:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
We have a Dometic fridge freezer, if it is very quite you can here the igniter spark. So clearly on my unit there is only on when required.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We have a Dometic fridge freezer, if it is very quite you can here the igniter spark. So clearly on my unit there is only on when required.

This is the same method as employed by the Dometic / Norcold fridge/freezers fitted to USRVs ..

the temperature is controlled by switching the gas off/on as required, rather than by adjusting the flame size ..

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
When on gas I normally run the fridge on 2..... (1 = minimum cooling, 5 = coldest setting).

Over the course of the weekend I ran the fridge on various settings from 1 to 4 and back to 1.

On all settings it just kept "burning" strongly, strong enough that I could hear the burner from the overcab bunk... Sounds a bit like a mini hot air balloon burner......:whatthe:

If it's that noisy I would suggest you get it checked, maybe the burner is not burning correctly.

We don't get ANY noise when ours is on, other than the click click when it starts, as Jim said.

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

This is the same method as employed by the Dometic / Norcold fridge/freezers fitted to USRVs ..

the temperature is controlled by switching the gas off/on as required, rather than by adjusting the flame size ..

If it's that noisy I would suggest you get it checked, maybe the burner is not burning correctly.

We don't get ANY noise when ours is on, other than the click click when it starts, as Jim said.

That's what I had been thinking, as I don't remember hearing it running like this any time before, only the occasional "click click click" of the piezo ignition from time to time.

I will get it checked / serviced.

Thanks all......:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That's what I had been thinking, as I don't remember hearing it running like this any time before, only the occasional "click click click" of the piezo ignition from time to time.

I will get it checked / serviced.

Thanks all......:thumb:

To expand on what I said earlier, and to perhaps shed some light on the problem, there are two types of temperature control systems ..

Type 'b' will be found on larger fridges and those with a separate freezer box..

Type (a) The gas is always on, it is lit by a piezo igniter, the flame is varied by a gas valve which is adjusted manually by setting the knob on the fridge panel , usually marked 1 -5 , this is a manual system and has no thermostat in the fridge cabinet.

Type (b) Electronic system .
The gas is switched on and off electronically and the temperature is maintained by a thermostat.. the heart of this system is an electronic board, usually referred to as the 'igniter' board , it has four functions

1. Ignite the gas, (it has an HT coil and lead which creates a spark in the burner).
2. Open and close a gas solenoid valve to maintain the pre set temperature.
3. Monitor the flame using thermocouple (flame failure will shut off the gas)
4. Monitor the fridge cabinet temperature using a thermostat.

If yours is 'on' all the time and you recall hearing the igniter sparking periodically, it sounds like you have type 'b'

so, either

a) the gas solenoid valve is stuck open
b) the igniter board is faulty
c) thermostat faulty

I would check the solenoid valve first, it may well be dirty and stuck open... but if unsure about how to proceed, as you have said, a visit to the dealer is advised..

Last edited:
OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
To expand on what I said earlier, and to perhaps shed some light on the problem, there are two types of temperature control systems ..

[HI]Type 'b' will be found on larger fridges and those with a separate freezer box.. [/HI]

Type (b) Electronic system .
The gas is switched on and off electronically and the temperature is maintained by a thermostat.. the heart of this system is an electronic board, usually referred to as the 'igniter' board , it has four functions

If yours is 'on' all the time and you recall hearing the igniter sparking periodically, it sounds like you have type 'b'

so, either

a) the gas solenoid valve is stuck open
b) the igniter board is faulty
c) thermostat faulty

I would check the solenoid valve first, it may well be dirty and stuck open... but if unsure about how to proceed, as you have said, a visit to the dealer is advised..

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that.. we do indeed have the second type, (b).

Yesterday I checked the burner was clean, no rust, nothing clogging it, etc.
I also checked the thermostat (thermocouple) with a meter and it is functioning ok.

So I guess I need to take a look at the solenoid valve next. otherwise it is off to a dealer.

We are off up to Scotland today with the boys, so we will be mostly on hook up where it is working without problem. When on gas it is still functioning, just burning gas all the time. We will have some ice packs in the freezer, which I can put in the fridge to help keep the fridge cool so I can turn the gas off for a few hours at a time overnight when we are not hooked up..

Thanks again Jim.....:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

I agree with you callumwa.....yes the pilot will be lit all the time while the engine is not running or when you are not on EHU.....pilot flame is small flame like on a cigarette lighter and should not be noisy or give off any real heat ..or unless it is lit a piezo-electric ignition without a pilot light!! ...it is only when the fridge/freezer drop's below the temperature set you will get a BUFF sound as the burners re-light....it should NOT be on 24/7 unless you in climate of a very high Temperature....and then it will be on and off most of the time..:Doh:
But I could be wrong BUT that is how ours seems to be working...on and off keeping the fridge cold

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Do the ferry companies mind if the fridge is left on gas when on a crossing?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
They certainly do, gas should be turned off at the bottle/tank.
The tunnel always checks but the ferries seem a bit lax about it

The ferries are VERY lax on this, we have never been checked. :Smile:

I also know of MH's who travel to Santander with the gas on due to the length of the crossing. :winky:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I think i`ll pack frozen containers in the fridge --we need special kids food-
Turn it on the other side :thumb:

OP
OP
callumwa

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Jim,

Thanks for that.. we do indeed have the second type, (b).

Yesterday I checked the burner was clean, no rust, nothing clogging it, etc.
I also checked the thermostat (thermocouple) with a meter and it is functioning ok.

[HI]So I guess I need to take a look at the solenoid valve next[/HI]. otherwise it is off to a dealer.

We are off up to Scotland today with the boys, so we will be mostly on hook up where it is working without problem. When on gas it is still functioning, just burning gas all the time. We will have some ice packs in the freezer, which I can put in the fridge to help keep the fridge cool so I can turn the gas off for a few hours at a time overnight when we are not hooked up..

Thanks again Jim.....:thumb:

I manged to have a look at the solenoid valve before we set off this morning. It was indeed stuck open.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, especially Jim who pointed me in the right direction. I had completely overlooked the valve:Doh:.

We are now settled on the Mortonhall site just outside Edinburgh, gas on the fridge is regulating on and off as required. No more burning 24/7.

Now time for a cold beer from that jolly cool fridge..

Cheers.:thumb::thumb:

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
I manged to have a look at the solenoid valve before we set off this morning. It was indeed stuck open.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice, especially Jim who pointed me in the right direction. I had completely overlooked the valve:Doh:.

We are now settled on the Mortonhall site just outside Edinburgh, gas on the fridge is regulating on and off as required. No more burning 24/7.

Now time for a cold beer from that jolly cool fridge..

Cheers.:thumb::thumb:

How did you free/clean it,could be useful info for others as it sounds like it could be a common problem?

regards
Steve:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back