Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi
Is it ok to walk on a motorhome roof, or is it not strong enough?
I have a Knaus S liner A class and wondered if it was ok to walk on the roof to clean it or do I need to clean it using ladders?
thankyou

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as a general rule, you should only walk on reinforced areas designed to take a load like a roof rack. If you really must get up there, keep to the outside edges where the walls will take the weight. otherwise do what most others do and use a brush on a pole standing on something suited to the job from each side of the van

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I have walked all over my last 2 motorhomes. Just stay away from the cab cap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Hi
Is it ok to walk on a motorhome roof, or is it not strong enough?
I have a Knaus S liner A class and wondered if it was ok to walk on the roof to clean it or do I need to clean it using ladders?
thankyou

Surely best to ask your supplier/distributor, must be a weight limit. I walk mine, using small plywood board to spread load.,.... so far, so good.

Regards, Bryandh

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
My handbook says no big fat gits :Eeek: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

What it actually says is only people up to 13 stone should walk on the roof, and not, as has been said, on the overcab area.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Mine seems to be advertised with "Walk on Roof".

So I have been walking on it for the last year or so for cleaning purposes. Good as Gold.
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
roof walk.

I also walk on mine regularly, and I am a fat git. There are different types of roof tho. Mine has grab handles round the edge to tie stuff to, and it is aluminium finished. My mate has an RV too, but his is rubber finished, which needs more care walking on, and he has no grab rails on his, so not really designed for carrying load. On A class motorhomes, the roof, same as the floor, is usually about 2" thick, with a foam sandwich in between a top and bottom layer of plywood, then topped off either with the rubberoid coat, or aluminium, but the floor has the ally on the bottom. They all seem to have a thick layer of sealant where the roof meets the front and sides. The fibreglass front cab area is only a GRP moulding, so wont support a heavy person on it, but that is normally only the front 2' of the roof, and you can easily see where it is joined on. If you do walk on the roof, it may be best to use walk boards till you have determined if it can support you without.

OP
OP
peterpan44

peterpan44

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Watton Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Thankyou for all the replys.

Hello Andy, we met you a few weeks ago at Woolacombe.
We have been busy since buying a 2 man canoe and inverters as suggested.

I did walk on the roof a few days before starting this thread and found out last Tuesday that I had a water leak whilst we were visiting Sterling castle in Scotland.
I managed to dry the outside of the roof and seal it with silicon. It has been dry since and we had a lot more rain this last week.
I have also read the handbook since getting home yesterday and it does say its ok to walk on the roof.
I am guessing I loosened a seal around the sunroof.
Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back