New DRL's (Daytime running lights) (1 Viewer)

pvw10

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2011 after tugging.
Twice recently people have pulled out in front of me (its bad enough on my bikes) despite being 7 mtrs long etc etc so decided to buy and fit some DRL's

I thought best to get ones that turn off with the lights and was amazed that most sets dont ! Anyway i found some large high quality jobbies that seemed to fit the bill, and the Camper he he.

Lets see if this helps, it wont stop idiots but you never know.............

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 153
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 145
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Twice recently people have pulled out in front of me (its bad enough on my bikes) despite being 7 mtrs long etc etc so decided to buy and fit some DRL's

I thought best to get ones that turn off with the lights and was amazed that most sets dont ! Anyway i found some large high quality jobbies that seemed to fit the bill, and the Camper he he.

Lets see if this helps, it wont stop idiots but you never know.............

bet you get a lot of people telling you your lights are on

got no end with our volvo few years back

one lady told us three times
while we waited for the railcrossing gates to lift

flashed by oncoming traffic

just used to wave back in the end
:thumb::thumb::thumb:​

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
bet you get a lot of people telling you your lights are on

got no end with our volvo few years back

one lady told us three times
while we waited for the railcrossing gates to lift

flashed by oncoming traffic

just used to wave back in the end
:thumb::thumb::thumb:​

I don't think it is much of a issue now TOFO ...since the law came in force all new European vehicles after February 2011 must have daytime running lights:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
More people pull out on me in the motorhome than ever do on the motorbike despite being 7.5 mtrs long, white and 5ton and I always drive with the lights on. Some take a real risk to make sure they're in front because I assume they think we'll slow them down but then drive slower than us and hold us up.
So good luck with lights but I don't think they'll make any difference

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
People pulling out in front of motorhomes is something that I have observed for many years. It cannot be because they can't see you.
My theory is that they're expecting you to travel slowly and therefore 1. Pull out in front because they think they have more time than they actually have. 2. Take an extra risk because they don't want to get stuck behind you.
I hope the lights help but cannot be too optimistic.

Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
I don't it is much of a issue now TOFO ...since the law came in force all new European vehicles after February 2011 must have daytime running lights:thumb:

my 61 plate skoda fabia dosnt but the fabia vrs does
with a slightly different front

i think as long as the front isnt changed they neednt fit them
redesign of the front requires them to be fitted /installed

mind there seems to be quite a number with them know

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
my 61 plate skoda fabia dosnt?? but the fabia vrs does
with a slightly different front

i think as long as the front isnt changed they neednt fit them
redesign of the front requires them to be fitted /installed

mind there seems to be quite a number with them know

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS UK LAW
Daytime running lights (sometimes referred to as DRLs or daylight running lamps) are low-wattage bulbs that are fitted to a car to improve visibility during daylight hours. As of 7th February 2011* DRLs have become a mandatory fitting to all new type approved passenger vehicles (except trailers).
DRLs must switch on with the vehicle ignition and switch off when the vehicle sidelights are switched on. They can also be made to function as front position (side) lights, which operate at a reduced intensity when the vehicle sidelights are switched on.
You may have already seen DRLs out on the road - many manufacturers such as Audi have fitted them to new models. They can usually be found just below the car's main headlights, and normally switch on with the vehicle ignition and off when the vehicle sidelights are turned on.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...&langId=-1&articleId=809953&categoryId=245215

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I used to have em pulling out on me all the time..I drove a Volvo FH 12 Globetrotter...the cab was 12 foot high and a 13 foot 2 trailer on...sometimes it took a bit of judicious application of the horn to wake em up!!!...It doesn't matter if your lights are on or off they will still pull out on you just to be 10 foot in front...a guy did it on me in Peterboro when I had just left Ferry Meadows CC site as he pulled out of the pub just along from the site..so I asked him if I was on my invisible phase...I think he'd had a few cos he said WHAT DO YOU MEAN!!!!

Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS UK LAW
Daytime running lights (sometimes referred to as DRLs or daylight running lamps) are low-wattage bulbs that are fitted to a car to improve visibility during daylight hours. As of 7th February 2011* DRLs have become a mandatory fitting to all [HI]new type approved[/HI] passenger vehicles (except trailers).
DRLs must switch on with the vehicle ignition and switch off when the vehicle sidelights are switched on. They can also be made to function as front position (side) lights, which operate at a reduced intensity when the vehicle sidelights are switched on.
You may have already seen DRLs out on the road - many manufacturers such as Audi have fitted them to new models. They can usually be found just below the car's main headlights, and normally switch on with the vehicle ignition and off when the vehicle sidelights are turned on.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...&langId=-1&articleId=809953&categoryId=245215

i think my 61 fabia gets round it because of previous type approval
and the modified fronted fabia vrs had to have them fitted

i had to wait nine months for it to be built
it was brand new on receipt 11 months back 17 sept 2011

reading the blurb just before ours was delivered
i wondered if they would be fitted
when it turned up no lights

think its a temporary get out for the manfacturers :thumb:

Aug 18, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick Duo
Exp
dlr

my sept2011 kia cee`d 2 does not have them.
tboy

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Err my brand new C1 does not have em???

Mmmmmm....Errrrrrrr Ken I don't know what to say???? as my RAPIDO does, when we picked it up in April 2011... I asked why was my lights on all the time... they told it was compulsory/regulation ??? :Doh:.....

The only reason I can think of

Was the car new but older than February 2011 before the regulation came about...meaning new but not registered in 2011/2012..until you purchased it..
The maybe the reason because of the world economy problems, there must have been loads of stock piled cars not being sold,... they are not going to throw away cars produced before that date are they:Doh:
Just a thought, but I could be totally wrong..and there may be another simple reason

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
i think my 61 fabia gets round it because of previous type approval
and the modified fronted fabia vrs had to have them fitted

i had to wait nine months for it to be built
it was brand new on receipt 11 months back 17 sept 2011

reading the blurb just before ours was delivered
i wondered if they would be fitted
when it turned up no lights

think its a temporary get out for the manfacturers :thumb:

This is what I have just said to Ken the car was produced before the regulations

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Bought delivery leds from LED.com they have them specifically for some motorhomes . Mines fitted into the long recesses each side below the main lights , full instructions with them and very easy to follow them and hit the lights , read them a couple of times before starting to fit them it will only take about an hour and half to fit excellent product .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back