Computer help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I am having problems accessing "My Documents" Every time I click it opens the page but as soon as I scroll down and click on a file - Windows explorer is closing down. Despite googling the problem I can find no solutions to the. Can anyone help please?

Norman

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Try restoring to an earlier date....

Start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Then choose a date when it was working ok. :thumb:

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Ken.
Have a problem! The proferred system restore dates are after the "infection" how can I set an earlier date, without restoring factory settings.

Thanks Ken

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RonnieJ

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, when you get to the System Restore page it does only offer you a few dates but somewhere on the screen you should have an option to 'show older restore points', if you can find that you should be able to choose from several much earlier ones - as long as you don't have a programme that is automatically cleaning out old files on a regular basis.
Good luck.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, when you get to the System Restore page it does only offer you a few dates but somewhere on the screen you should have an option to 'show older restore points', if you can find that you should be able to choose from several much earlier ones - as long as you don't have a programme that is automatically cleaning out old files on a regular basis.
Good luck.

Thanks Ronnie,
I have looked for such a button but can't find one, it does rather look as if older system restore point are being cleared. I did have one for 15th July but when I did a system restore this option disappeared. Is ther anything I can do other than reinstalling Windows 7?

Norman

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Here is a screen shot click the radio button for choose a different restore point. :thumb: then next

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 30

RonnieJ

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
If you hover your mouse over the document that you want to open does any information appear? Have you tried a right click on the file and then selected 'open' from the list that appears? Just a couple of things to try which might provide more clues.
Is the programme you are using Word? There could be a problem with that. Can you open Word on its own? - if you click on 'Start' there is a box at the bottom with 'start search' in it, have you put the document name in there and clicked search? Sorry if you have done all this and I appear to be treating you like someone who doesn't know some of this stuff - it's so difficult when you don't know how much someone can do on a computer.
Will not be about for a couple of hours now so good luck and will have a look to see your answers when I get back. Hopefully someone else will have had a look at the problem and come up with a solution by then.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Here is a screen shot click the radio button for choose a different restore point. :thumb: then next

Thanks Ken really appreciate your help, especially over a distance. Have compared your menu windo with min and it differs slightly, the main difference being there is no option of choosing an alternate system restore date.

Norman.

PS liked your exercise bike

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
If you hover your mouse over the document that you want to open does any information appear? Have you tried a right click on the file and then selected 'open' from the list that appears? Just a couple of things to try which might provide more clues.
Is the programme you are using Word? There could be a problem with that. Can you open Word on its own? - if you click on 'Start' there is a box at the bottom with 'start search' in it, have you put the document name in there and clicked search? Sorry if you have done all this and I appear to be treating you like someone who doesn't know some of this stuff - it's so difficult when you don't know how much someone can do on a computer.
Will not be about for a couple of hours now so good luck and will have a look to see your answers when I get back. Hopefully someone else will have had a look at the problem and come up with a solution by then.

Ronnie,
I appreciate your help; you are quite right to assume I have limited knowledge as I certainly do.
My problem is whenever I try to access My Documents it opens - then when I select a file in the My Documents and click on it, Windows explorer finds a fault and closes.
If I can remember the file name I want in My Documents and type it into the search I can enter my file, though after some time it is likely to find the Windows explorer error again and shut down.
You are right I am using Microsfot Word, Excel and powerpoint, though the error is most active when I try to access a powerpoint file but not always.

Many thanks

Norman

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Norman try this, start/computer then right click on your c drive then Properties then tools then checkthis drive for errors then schedule it and shut down and restart. Let it run it's course
and see if it helps. After that my two brain cells have run out of energy, :cry:

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Ken,
Many thanks - sorry to say that has not done the trick. Keep swinging and enjoying France.

Norman

RonnieJ

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Are your problems sorted out now? Looks like they are judging from your last post. Hope all is OK now.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Ronnie,
Many thanks if only it was! I tried a diagnosis programme which like all diagnostic programmes told me I had corrupt files and would correct them if I paid £70
If I could be certain they would, I would spend it but if not I would have wasted my money.
I am convinced if I can carry out a system restore as far back as June the problem would be solved.
So if you have any suggestions I would be grateful

Norman

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
How about.

A Create a new folder, MY DOCS 2
B Search for all files *.doc , *.xls, *.ppt etc
C Copy the files to the new folder..

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Norman, if you put your windows disc in there should be a "repair" function in which case you will not lose any files. Possible your Word disc has the same function.

As an aside i never use my documents, I right click on the desktop and create new folders calling them "word" or "PDF" or whatever then I "save as" into those folders. :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I note that nobody has suggested the obvious...... run the system file checker built into windows
run the following from the command prompt, including the space

sfc /scannow

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a little more info for those that dont know about SFC

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I note that nobody has suggested the obvious...... run the system file checker built into windows
run the following from the command prompt, including the space

sfc /scannow

Thanks Big1 I tried this it flashed across the screen....................... but did nothing.

Much appreciated the advice all adds to the learning curve.

Norman

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Norman, if you put your windows disc in there should be a "repair" function in which case you will not lose any files. Possible your Word disc has the same function.

As an aside i never use my documents, I right click on the desktop and create new folders calling them "word" or "PDF" or whatever then I "save as" into those folders. :thumb:

Tried creating desktop folder but the problem went with the file.

I will have to get a disc for windows as my computer came pre loaded.

Thanks Ken, much appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Another option is to download Open Office and see if that will open the file.

http://download.cnet.com/OpenOffice-org/3000-18483_4-10263109.html?tag=contentBody;pop

Steely steph,
Watch this space.......................................... I have downloaded this and so far so good, the dreaded explorer closing down box has not appeared.

Many thanks for your suggestion.

Also many thanks to all my cyber friends who have so willingly come to my aid, as you have been kind enough to offer your help watch this space and I will let you know how I get on.

Grateful thanks

Norman

RonnieJ

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
It sounds to me that there is a problem with your Microsoft Office programme. If you have the disc then I would uninstall it and then reinstall it from the disc. If you haven't got the disc let me know how you came to have it installed.

Will watch for your reply.......

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
It sounds to me that there is a problem with your Microsoft Office programme. If you have the disc then I would uninstall it and then reinstall it from the disc. If you haven't got the disc let me know how you came to have it installed.

Will watch for your reply.......

Ronnie,
I have the Microsoft Office disc, its the windows disc I don't have, but since I have loaded Open Office the problem seems to have been solved. Perhaps because it is not working on windows explorer.

Norman

RonnieJ

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
What you are saying indicates that its the Office programme that has become 'corrupted'. You don't get the Windows disc with a new computer as its already on the computer and if you restore to 'factory settings' Windows is reloaded from the backup drive on your computer so you don't need the disc. The problem is that if you restore to factory settings you need to back up all your personal files and folders (documents, photos etc) first (to an external hard drive or discs), as everything is wiped off and then the computer is restored to the state it was in the day you bought it which is fine, but it takes time to copy all the personal files and folders and then put them back on once you have done the restore. Also any other programmes you have added since you bought it will have to be installed again or downloaded again if you have got them from the internet (Messenger, Skype etc.). All the updates you have accepted since you first switched it on will be automatically sent to you again for intalling and that can take a couple of days of almost continuously downloading and installing updates and doing re-starts when advised. None of this is difficult but it is time consuming and might be a bit of a worry if you haven't done it before.
I think it would be a good idea if you uninstall Microsoft Office - let me know if you don't know how to do this - once it has been uninstalled re-start your computer and intall it again. Even if it doesn't solve the problem it won't do any harm but it is worth a try.
We are off to the Malvern Show tomorrow, its a bit of a journey so driving there during the day tomorrow and staying somewhere overnight so arriving at the showground on Thursday morning. Will have my iPad with me so will check in during the day to see how you are getting on.
Oh, by the way, I'm not actually Ronnie, I'm his wife Sue.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Sue,
Thanks for your reply; I have loaded my files onto OpenOffice.org and everything seems to be working fine.
If I uninstall Office will it delete the files from OpenOffice or will they be okay.

Part of me is tempted to leave things as they are, but reason tells me I have not solved the problem I have merely found a way round it. As I am not sure what else is affected by Windows explorer I really think I ought to uninstall and see if it solves the problem.
What do you think?

Many thanks for your patient help.

Norman

RonnieJ

Free Member
Jun 30, 2009
Thetford, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
Uninstalling Office will not affect any of your files, your documents will still sit in the Documents folder and will only open with a compatable programme. If you have no compatable programme they just won't open, instead you will get a label asking you which programme you want to open them with. Without Office they will automatically open with the most compatable programme, which at the moment is the programme that you downloaded.
That's is why I am pretty sure that something has gone wrong with your Office programme.
If you uninstall it (I think you know how to do this, if not let me know) and then re-start your computer, reinstall from the discs and then open your documents they should open with Office rather than Open Office. You can then uninstall Open Office as it will have served its purpose and there is no point in having it take up space.
With a bit of luck all this will be sorted before we leave for Malvern!

Although your instincts are to leave well alone, if you do this and it works you will feel pretty pleased with yourself and you will have learned a lot. To get confident and learn how to sort out these little problems you have to be brave and take chances, you can always backtrack if things don't work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back