How does the law stand on drinking? (1 Viewer)

Mi58ck

Free Member
Aug 9, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since august 2012
If your stopping over in your MH and youve had a couple of beers,can you still get done for drinking and driving?

rronyag

Free Member
Jun 28, 2011
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi
If you park your motorhome on a public road or in a place where the public have access to and you are in possession of the keys to the vehicle you could get arrested for the offence of being in charge of a motor vehicle whilst under the influence, that is should you fail the roadside breath test at that time.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If your stopping over in your MH and youve had a couple of beers,can you still get done for drinking and driving?

if you drink enough to be over the limit the night before driving, most of that alcohol will still be in your system next day. basically though if your on a campsite and keys are put away, your unlikely to be breathalysed. unlike if you park in a layby or public carpark, where you could reasonably be expected to be told to move on

can you afford to throw your licence away by being caught driving or in charge of a vehicle whilst over the drink drive limit?

Upvote 0

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
if you drink enough to be over the limit the night before driving, most of that alcohol will still be in your system next day. basically though if your on a campsite and keys are put away, your unlikely to be breathalysed. unlike if you park in a layby or public carpark, where you could reasonably be expected to be told to move on

[HI]can you afford to throw your licence away by being caught driving or in charge of a vehicle whilst over the drink drive limit?[/[/HI]QUOTE]

More importantly should anyone else have their life thrown away because someone is drunk in charge of a vehicle.
It is not a matter of getting away with it, its a matter of how much value is placed on another person's life.

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

[HI]can you afford to throw your licence away by being caught driving or in charge of a vehicle whilst over the drink drive limit?[/[/HI]QUOTE]

More importantly should anyone else have their life thrown away because someone is drunk in charge of a vehicle.
It is not a matter of getting away with it, its a matter of how much value is placed on another person's life.

Norman

completely agree, being the victim of a drunk driver 20 years ago, which left me with a broken back and other injuries that we are still coping with today. I like the occasional drink but wont touch a drop if I am to drive in the next 24hrs, its the only way in my opinion, but I dont force it on others

Upvote 0

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Not to make light of this but I often wonder how people wild camping get on with this as most of the people I have met so far that overwinter in Spain / Portugal etc all talk of having parties and BBQ's and more than a fair share of wine and beer. Now it would seem to me that they are handing themselves on a platter to the local plod but I've never heard of anyone getting nicked so far. I have a totaly seperate cab / habitation area and wondered if I was to overnight for a few days on a pub carpark how I would stand legally if I handed over my cab / engine keys to the landlord and only had the key to the habitation area, have to say I havn't taken the chance so far......Mark

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
that could be a very good point .i use the same idea .if in the trailer then there can be no reason for anyone to think i,m going to drive . if asked to move just refuse .
making you drive if you tell them you have had a drink would be a crime in itself .
as it is the spanish and portugese very often say if an accident happens late at night .of course they were drunk ,if they only had a few beers they would be walking . only drunk drivers drive very late at night.

as it is they usually move you earlier in the evening or leave you alone.
many do come round for a drink with you . after all its not uk.
they love john smiths smooth.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not to make light of this but I often wonder how people wild camping get on with this as most of the people I have met so far that overwinter in Spain / Portugal etc ...Mark

We have this absurd law "being in charge".

I think usually it is actually driving the vehicle.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
It's the key

Not to make light of this but I often wonder how people wild camping get on with this as most of the people I have met so far that overwinter in Spain / Portugal etc all talk of having parties and BBQ's and more than a fair share of wine and beer. Now it would seem to me that they are handing themselves on a platter to the local plod but I've never heard of anyone getting nicked so far. I have a totaly seperate cab / habitation area and wondered if I was to overnight for a few days on a pub carpark how I would stand legally if I handed over my cab / engine keys to the landlord and only had the key to the habitation area, have to say I havn't taken the chance so far......Mark
I am a gasman, a few years ago we had unknowingly taken on an alcoholic. A customer reported him to us and told him to leave (he had arrived very drunk for an 8.00 am call) the customer also reported him to the police. They found him a mile down the road asleep in the van. But because he had gone to the rear door to get his vodka, and left the key in the lock outside. they could not charge him. but they did take him away from the van, which we then collected.

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
after reading this i think my van is for eBay. its getting worse.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
[/HI]QUOTE]

Norman[/QUOTE]

An excellent point. Wholeheartedly agree

Wyn

Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
after reading this i think my van is for eBay. its getting worse.

Not getting worse, breeks,. It's the way it's always been.
It's usually the case that someone has fallen foul of the law and comes accross something they didnt know, assuming it's new.

Possession of the keys or which way the drivers seat is facing (turned around or not) is irrelevant.
When charged for drink in charge or whatever, the apparent likelihood of the person in question intending to drive doesnt come into it.
The law requires the defendant to prove he / she had no intention to drive whilst unfit.
That's the only defence as I understand it.
The Police only have to charge, not prove. You have to defend.

Nothing new, been this way since Adam had a moped.

Just drink on a pukka site is the only sure way of staying bulletproof on this score.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back