Winter sun for the first time (1 Viewer)

Roadstar Keith

Free Member
Jan 6, 2012
Gwent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
Just returned from trip through France and time on the Costa Brava, would like to return to Spain for some winter sun but don't know the south very well and would like some feedback on sites. Don't want all singing all dancing site and some that I have looked at have up to 1000 pitches and that frightens me. We are used to much smaller sites and in UK tend to use the CL/Cs type of site, would be glad of any suggestions. I think we have to be pretty quick booking before the sites fill up.::bigsmile:
Roadstar Keith

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Just returned from trip through France and time on the Costa Brava, would like to return to Spain for some winter sun but don't know the south very well and would like some feedback on sites. Don't want all singing all dancing site and some that I have looked at have up to 1000 pitches and that frightens me. We are used to much smaller sites and in UK tend to use the CL/Cs type of site, would be glad of any suggestions. I think we have to be pretty quick booking before the sites fill up.::bigsmile:
Roadstar Keith

I don't know of any small sites on the Costa Del Sol, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.
Spanish campsites on or near the coast tend to be on the large side.
Not sure why a large site should worry you.

Pete:Cool:

OP
OP
R

Roadstar Keith

Free Member
Jan 6, 2012
Gwent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
Thanks Just don't like to feel crowded and not looking for "Blackpool" with sun. Doesn't have to be on the coast as long as its warmer than Wales in the winter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you dont want Blackpool in the sun, take Benidorm off the list ::bigsmile:

Why not try a bit of touring and just find sites, stay a while and check places out. That is what we have done over the years.
I have only ever had 1 occassion where we turned up and they were full, even then i suspect it was because we only wanted 2 nights..

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you dont want Blackpool in the sun, take Benidorm off the list ::bigsmile:

Exactly what I thought.

Cap Blanche a few miles north is the great alternative.

But the beauty of Benidorm is the variety, you want Chinese, you've got really good Chinese, you want Dutch, you've got really authentic Dutch.

You want live loud country and western and cheap beer, you've got live country and western and cheap beer.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Thanks Just don't like to feel crowded and not looking for "Blackpool" with sun. Doesn't have to be on the coast as long as its warmer than Wales in the winter.

You've obviously not done any research your self on sites in the south or you would know that big campsites do not mean big resorts.

Big campsites do mean more facilities such as outdoor/indoor swimming pools.

The huge campsite I use has miles of deserted beaches and a small marina close by. No "Blackpool" or anything that might resemble it.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
That is why we left Benecassim early. We like beaches with open beach cafes. That place didn't even have closed ones.

But Altea, Cap Blanche did ::bigsmile:

Not a very nice beach though:RollEyes:

Someone likened Bonterra Park to a Battery Farm and I thought that was a good description.

I'm talking about the real south as in the Costa Del Sol:thumb:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We go to Zahora for winter, about as far south on mainland Spain, about 2 miles from Cape Trafalgar, isolated beaches, a typical Spanish village, well that is till Penelope Pitstop gets down there and a few other funsters/nutters.:thumb:

OP
OP
R

Roadstar Keith

Free Member
Jan 6, 2012
Gwent
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
I don't think I'm ready for Siberia yet but if you have some personal experiances to share I would read them with interest. I have tried to research sites on the web but the sites own websites don't really give you the same feel for the place as would another motorhomer that has actually stayed there. Large sites usually mean more facilities I know but that usually equates to more cost to pay for stuff we probably wouldn't make use of. I appreciate all the input and will keep searching.
When I say a small site I really mean one with a couple of hundred pitches as opposed to1000.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Someone likened Bonterra Park to a Battery Farm and I thought that was a good description.

Not a bad description of most campsites. Well the ones that have demarcated pitches.

Marjal was that to a T. Your own little space with all services so you hardly needed to leave your space except to top up the larder. The real downside was there was not a great deal to experience if you did leave your pitch.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We have been going back to this one for quite a few years now - http://www.lospinosdenia.com/

Denia is a working town. It has a touristy area to the north east of the town but this site is set in a quiet residential area to the south west of the town - a lovely 3km walk/cycle ride along the waterfront or bus into the town.

The site is a small family-run place with a certain 'charm'. About 12euros a night and wifi for 10eu/month!

We have been going for a month in the autumn and a month in spring but are giving Spain a miss this year.

You really feel you are in Spain here though in the winter the site is predominantly British/German/Dutch/Belgium. But they are a pretty tame bunch:winky:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We stayed an Zahora, Cabopino near Marbella, nice beach and also at Florentilles near Torrevieja nice site but need wheels to get to beach .

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Nearest thing we found to a small site last year was La Merced at Calpe. Bit more rustic, 12euros per night if over 30 days and .45 euros per KW.
We used the Nav' to go as far North as Los Pinos at Denia and as far south as Manzanera and TBH, couldn't really find anything we liked as much. All to big, brash and busy for our tastes as, like you, we prefer to use CL's in the UK.
Fancy trying Zahora next time as its farther south and some of the photos posted by the guys who've been make it look fairly quiet at the back and possobly more spacious than anything I found on the Costa Blanca?

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
You've obviously not done any research your self on sites in the south or you would know that big campsites do not mean big resorts.

Big campsites do mean more facilities such as outdoor/indoor swimming pools.

The huge campsite I use has miles of deserted beaches and a small marina close by. No "Blackpool" or anything that might resemble it.

Which campsite is this Pete???

Ginny

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
Exactly what I thought.

Cap Blanche a few miles north is the great alternative.

But the beauty of Benidorm is the variety, you want Chinese, you've got really good Chinese, you want Dutch, you've got really authentic Dutch.

You want live loud country and western and cheap beer, you've got live country and western and cheap beer.

We had a 3 month winter stay at Cap Blanche a few years ago. Fab site, Beach opposite site entrance and Albir 10 minute stroll away is a lovey little town. Benidorm, if you want it, is only a couple euros on a very regular bus service so you can leave all that cheap beer behind when you've had enough. :beerchug::stopsign:
Fairly large site and well kept but I don't believe pre-booking is allowed. Gets full at Christmas and New Year but we arrived in November and had no probs and it had thinned out again by the time we left end January. :Cool:

Maria

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back