Pulled By the Police today (1 Viewer)

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
At about one thirty today I was driving My RV with car on Trailer through Banbury Oxford area
when a blue light in my Mirror got my attention as the traffic was quite heavy i was unsure if they were on a Job or after me so i pulled over and they stopped in behind me tummy rumbling and my ass twitching like a rabbits nose Link Removed

I got out and walked towards the police officers, they asked if i had the right driving licence to drive the out fit
after making nice comments on how nice it was and big it was and how much they cost and could not afford to own one they asked to see my details

i explained that i had C1E+ D1E pre 1997

they cheked the labels on the trailer and the labels in the RV and after doing a few mathematical calculations on the back of his hand said that I was just under my allowed combined by 70Kg the RV being 5580 and trailer 2600

phew what a relief to know i am inside the right side not by much but legal any way

they are stopping all big rigs over the next 3 months checking on who has what as they know many are driving uninsured big motorhomes
as the are not licensed to drive them they where happy i was, so was I, so with ass twiching like a rabbits nose stopped, i was free to go on my way

please be advised that if you have not got the correct license they will catch you

i am going to get my trailer down rated to 220Kg to make sure i am well within the rules

Thank you to Rick (RVOC) who has given me some very good advise on the the matter

Now i am safe and sound on a CL near Banbury for a few days then on to Malvern
please god let me remember PC Richard Bull of the Thems valley police
for letting me know once and for all i am as legal as i can be when romping around in my Big rig and trailer in tow Link RemovedLink Removed

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi some friends of ours got pulled in France and weighed, they only have a coach built Elldis, but with a Fiamma box on the bike rack they must have looked a bit over, luckily they were ok. Pete

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi some friends of ours got pulled in France and weighed, they only have a coach built Elldis, but with a Fiamma box on the bike rack they must have looked a bit over, luckily they were ok. Pete
well lots of people buy RVs being told by some dealers they can drive on a car license but that is not true
only people who passed test years ago can drive on grand dad rights
C1+E
that is up to 7.5ton not over as they need a class 2 HGV and then above 10ton class 1 HGV

i was a bit unsure as to where i actually was when it came to the towing as the trailer is a good make Bateson tipping body
car a Fabia auto 1.6 and 27 foot RV

it was good to know i passed the inspection
and can now drive in the knowledge that PC Richard Bull of Thems valley Police is happy with my details

i should have got some thing in writing form him :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
well lots of people buy RVs being told by some dealers they can drive on a car license but that is not true
only people who passed test years ago can drive on grand dad rights
C1+E
that is up to 7.5ton not over as they need a class 2 HGV and then above 10ton class 1 HGV

Not sure thats correct .

The categories Class 1, 2 and 3 havent existed for a long time.

If you have category C on your licence you can drive a rigid vehicle over 7500KG .

10,000kg isnt part of the classification

Neil

Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
it was good to know i passed the inspection
and can now drive in the knowledge that PC Richard Bull of Thems valley Police is happy with my details

[HI]i should have got some thing in writing form him [/HI] :ROFLMAO:

I think you are happier that he actually did not have to put something in writing for you...:RollEyes:

that may have been expensive and very inconvenient.....:winky:.:winky:

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
French Gendarmerie

A month or so ago I broke down near Dieppe on the A28 the police arrived and demanded my papers which I had in a plastic folder in the door pocket they scrutinised them very carefully and came to my paper driving license which they must not have seen before that had them foxed after much radioing to their boss they went on there way :Smile:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
This is where you will miss Bob, he has the latest books that explain all this and he bought at his own expense and kept updated. I am hoping to be able to meet him for the first time at Malvern, but in the meantime the not terribly clear Direct Gov links are here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022708

and here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

for most funster's use of larger motorhomes ignore references to driver CPC requirements if you only use the vehicle privately. In some circumstances it can be used for some businesses without a CPC, but I would advise strongly getting this checked by someone up to date with the latest legal books (e.g Wilkinsons Road Traffic Law), for if you carry goods or passengers as a business you will require a CPC in most cases for larger motorhomes.

You won't need Driver CPC if the vehicle you drive is:

• used for non-commercial carriage of passengers or goods for personal use
  • used to carry material or equipment that you use for your job - but driving the vehicle can't be the main part of your job
  • used for driving lessons for anyone who wants to get a driving licence or a Driver CPC
  • used by, or is under the control of, the armed forces, civil defence, the fire service and forces responsible for maintaining public order
  • used in states of emergency or for rescue missions
PLEASE BE CAREFUL, mis-interpretation is no excuse and can if you do not have the correct drivers licence lead to voiding of insurance.

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Not sure thats correct .

If you have category C on your licence you can drive a rigid vehicle over 7500KG .

Neil

You are correct that cat c is over 7,500kg. But like me we have a restriction 107 limiting us to 7,500 gross and 8,250 combined(with trailer).
I would like to get the restriction 107 lifted, but far to much for me at the moment...

Cheyne

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When I bought my first motorhome Brownhills told me I could drive it on my car license. I was furious when I got home and found out it was 3850Kg and I was limited to 3500. I had been driving illegally for 8 months at this point.

I ended up taking my C1 test to drive it... Best money I ever spent...

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
hi i didnt know you had to have an heavy goods license to drive a big motor home do you know what the law is on this i passed my test in 1973 so does that mean its ok for me to drive a big one regards steve

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi you passed before 97 so can drive up to 7,500kg gvw.
but a motor home does carry goods .your goods (clothes food ,tools etc )but not for hire and reward . thats why you get phgv tax if over 3,500kg and need a c1 licence to drive over 3,500kg gvw vehicles .

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
The laws regarding what weights you can drive on what license are fairly easy to find and understand, they are not complicated at all. A class C LGV license (old class 2) entitles you to drive a RIGID vehicle up to 32 ton for instance.
You will find however that "if it bends, its a nightmare". This means that if you tow, you need to do some carefull investigating on whether you are legal.

First, are you licensed to drive the outfit ? If you passed your test after 1997 and passed a car test...probably not. Also if your motorhome is over 3500kgs and you passed your test after 1997...you may not even be licensed to drive it.

You may think, that it would be easier to take LGV class c test (old hgv 2)....BUT, that does not entitle you to tow.
You may find that the combined WEIGHT of your rig and trailer, makes it illegal for you to drive, as the OP pointed out, the police and VOSA,...ONLY go by the plates on your MH and trailer (plus car), not anything you may say or anything in your MH manual, a good tip, is to load up ready for a trip, and go to a weighbridge, get a ticket and keep it. If you are ever stopped, Its helpfull info to have on hand......it may save you being sent up to five miles to a weighbridge.
You want to steer clear of getting weighed, unless you are fastidious...you may be under your max laden weight for the rig and trailer, but be over on an axle, that will still earn you an immediate prohibition.
Upplating and downplating is not for people ignorant of the law, upgrading may allow you to carry a few extra jumpers, but make your license invalid, downplating may allow you to drive that RV, but mean that you can,t even tow a wheeled suitcase...always take professional advice.

Many HGV test centres are closing, and the work being done my main dealers etc, that means there are many more VOSA officers roadside................:thumb:

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
hi thanks for the information my minds at rest steve:Smile:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
but a motor home does carry goods .your goods (clothes food ,tools etc )but not for hire and reward . thats why you get phgv tax if over 3,500kg .

I know you've mentioned this before, Alan, but to me that sounds like the DVLA or VOSA talking out of the back of their departmental neck.

By that reasoning, why aren't all Euro motorhomes classed as light goods vehicles?

Why isn't our car, which permanently carries half a metric tonne of action men, baby dolls, sweets and comics classed as light goods?

It's incredible that the whole system is such a mess.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I know you've mentioned this before, Alan, but to me that sounds like the DVLA or VOSA talking out of the back of their departmental neck.

By that reasoning, why aren't all Euro motorhomes classed as light goods vehicles?

Why isn't our car, which permanently carries half a metric tonne of action men, baby dolls, sweets and comics classed as light goods?

Your Car is PLG (Private Light Goods) Some Motorcaravans are PLG others are PHGV.

I remember when all small vans were "light goods" and all cars were "private". When vans were being converted into estate cars these two classes were amalimated into PLG as there was much confusion about the legality of goods being carried in them.

John

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
When I'm out on my bike I tend to be clothed and carrying some food and maybe my keys, so my bicycle is a goods vehicle, too.

It's all very strange... :Smile:

billl70

Free Member
Aug 10, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years
The laws regarding what weights you can drive on what license are fairly easy to find and understand, they are not complicated at all. A class C LGV license (old class 2) entitles you to drive a RIGID vehicle up to 32 ton for instance.
You will find however that "if it bends, its a nightmare". This means that if you tow, you need to do some carefull investigating on whether you are legal.

First, are you licensed to drive the outfit ? If you passed your test after 1997 and passed a car test...probably not. Also if your motorhome is over 3500kgs and you passed your test after 1997...you may not even be licensed to drive it.

You may think, that it would be easier to take LGV class c test (old hgv 2)....BUT, that does not entitle you to tow.
You may find that the combined WEIGHT of your rig and trailer, makes it illegal for you to drive, as the OP pointed out, the police and VOSA,...ONLY go by the plates on your MH and trailer (plus car), not anything you may say or anything in your MH manual, a good tip, is to load up ready for a trip, and go to a weighbridge, get a ticket and keep it. If you are ever stopped, Its helpfull info to have on hand......it may save you being sent up to five miles to a weighbridge.
You want to steer clear of getting weighed, unless you are fastidious...you may be under your max laden weight for the rig and trailer, but be over on an axle, that will still earn you an immediate prohibition.
Upplating and downplating is not for people ignorant of the law, upgrading may allow you to carry a few extra jumpers, but make your license invalid, downplating may allow you to drive that RV, but mean that you can,t even tow a wheeled suitcase...always take professional advice.

Many HGV test centres are closing, and the work being done my main dealers etc, that means there are many more VOSA officers roadside................:thumb:

Am i to understand from this that the GCWR or the MTW should be on the manufactors plate along with the GVWR . BILL.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
your vehicle mshould carry a plate. On this plate, should be the relevant weights. Several terms are being used at the moment, but, the one most applicable in the OP post is "maximum train weight" which is the easiest to understand, its the weight of the whole rig...MH, trailer and car on it.

As he said, the police looked at his plates, did some sums, and gave him the all clear.
In my case, my MTW (maximum train weight) is 5500 kilos (5.5 tons), my MH is plated at 3500 kilos, so I have 2000 kilos to play with. I tow a small landrover...it is actually an "airportable" or "lightweight" landrover, stripped at production to be carried under helicopters, and it is plated at 1.5 ton, so a trailer weight half a ton keeps me within the law.
This is......and I wont offtrack into another debate, where A frames come into there own, because they weight sod all, so keep the train weight down!
An important thing to note, is that you cannot "BORROW" from one to give to the other. You cannot have an empty MH and think you can tow a heavier car, its the plates and whats on them that count.
It is a bit daunting sortingi it out, but VOSA apply the "ignorance is no excuse" method of working, so you have to be carefull.

Just to show how technical it can get. Myself and another forum member had identical MH's. same year, same model same engine, same layout...twins in fact.
His was plated as 3500kgs, he paid £260 (i think) road tax and was allowed in the LEZ. and was PLG
Mine, was plated at 3850kgs (previous owner upgrade), I paid £165 road tax, was PHGV and was NOT allowed in the LEZ........it also meant that I lost 250 kgs of the gross train weight.:Eeek:

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Not sure thats correct .

Neil
That is not quite correct sorry to disagree

Link Removed

this is the link to RVOC sister site more info for you all to digest :thumb:

I have C1+e and that is only up to 8.25ton train weight not one gram more
i was under by only 70kg not a lot of margin for error

yours ian:thumb:

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
hi i didnt know you had to have an heavy goods license to drive a big motor home do you know what the law is on this i passed my test in 1973 so does that mean its ok for me to drive a big one regards steve
only up to 7.5ton 8.25 with trailer

i looked about for almost a year to find an RV that was light enough and short enough to meet my requirements

i know of some who drive 10ton + and are not legal to do so
its them who risk a heavy fine + Points on license
Me i am Just pleased to know i am Legal
as its my one and only home

OP
OP
M
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Driving tests passed before 1 January 1997

Driving motorhomes

The vehicles you can drive or ride

Information codes on your driving licence[/QUOT

How thick can i get read the above and wondered what the heck is he going on about

then the dark mist lifted and i saw they are links

think i need to put more water with whatever i have been drinking

stupid sod here LOL

thank you for the Links pablomc;632978

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
know you've mentioned this before, Alan, but to me that sounds like the DVLA or VOSA talking out of the back of their departmental neck.

as it is john kinda answered for me.
but some are light goods and some are heavy goods if over 3,500kg gvw.
there was a time estate cars were in a goods class.
the whole system needs rewritting .but as we have strange rules here they cant take things away from us . thats why in 91 all drivers that drove buses not for hire and reward were after a medical and filling a form and paying 20quid allowed to keep that bit .most lost it by not doing what was required.
to change laws it involves so many other changes and the law makers are very incompetant .they only look after the pounds not the pence .
we used to have 240 pence .now only 100. less to lose i supose. as it is we seem to have lots pence not so many pounds . hee hee .

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

If you have converted to a photocard license it may be worth checking you still have the entitlement and also check the expiry date.

Something is tickling the back of my head that grandfathered rights can change when you get photocard type license. Can't remember where or what I saw so no details sorry. The expiry dates and catagories are on your license worth looking...

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If you have converted to a photocard license it may be worth checking you still have the entitlement and also check the expiry date.

Something is tickling the back of my head that [HI]grandfathered rights can change when you get photocard type license.[/HI] Can't remember where or what I saw so no details sorry. The expiry dates and catagories are on your license worth looking...

Not so Karl, I have a photo-card and still has all my original entitlement. I checked last year before buying my 3850Kg Geist. Griff :thumb:

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Not so Karl, I have a photo-card and still has all my original entitlement. I checked last year before buying my 3850Kg Geist. Griff :thumb:

I did say can not will:winky:

I am going from memory of a post some time ago. I seem to remember something (possibly) about C1 having an expiry date on the new photo card license that wasn't present on the old paper license... I really can't remember any details as it was some time ago and didn't apply to me...

I do know this caught someone out and they were extremely annoyed. I think it may have been someone on the other motorhome forum.

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Photo too old

I don't know if anybody else has experienced this but in the past few weeks both 'er indoors and I have received letters telling us that as our photo licences are 10 years old we have to renew them:Sad:
No problem they say, if you have a passport less than 5 years old it can all be done on line and they'll use the photograph on your passport.
So what I hear you say, they charged us £20 each:Angry::Angry::Angry:
What happened to licences lasting until the age of 70? I'm pissed because I'll hit that barrier before the current licence runs out.
But at least they didn't mess with the groups I can drive,yet

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
full licence for motorcycles

Something is tickling the back of my head that grandfathered rights can change when you get photocard type license. Can't remember where or what I saw so no details sorry. The expiry dates and catagories are on your license worth looking...

A few years ago this was happening in the entitlement for a full licence to ride a motorcycle. There were recommending that you photocopy your licence before sending it all off. I seem to remember some riders being forced to retake the test.:Doh::Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back