boris

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
brewood
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Hi, i am a new member and would like to know if anyone new the basics of wiring a solar panel into my Rapido.
I know the + & - wires go from solar panel to the regulator and then to the battery.
but there are then some more terminal connections on the drawing, showing connections to lights etc. "load 1 & 2 ?
am i right in saying you dont connect to these ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Depends on the controller and what you want to do with it, but for basic battery charging what you say is 'perfik' and all you need to do :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the extra two terminals, usually marked with a light bulb, will provide a very low current of around 2amps at most to feed back from the battery through the controller at night for a porch light etc..

not worth the trouble wiring it in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

boris

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
brewood
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
the extra two terminals, usually marked with a light bulb, will provide a very low current of around 2amps at most to feed back from the battery through the controller at night for a porch light etc..

Thanks for that. I will be fitting it all tomorrow night after work. cus we are off to "scotland on Saturday for 2 weeks yippee!!

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Thanks for that. I will be fitting it all tomorrow night after work. cus we are off to "scotland on Saturday for 2 weeks yippee!!
be sure to cover the panel so it is not live when doing the wiring connections

simple mistake to short it out

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
when you get round to fixing the panel to the roof make sure you tape the exposed ends of the panel wires or cover the solar panel with cardboard/towel/sheet etc......in sunlight they can carry over 17volts and if shorted together may damage the panel.

OP
OP
B

boris

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
brewood
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
when you get round to fixing the panel to the roof make sure you tape the exposed ends of the panel wires or cover the solar panel with cardboard/towel/sheet etc......in sunlight they can carry over 17volts and if shorted together may damage the panel.

thanks for that. i would not have thought of it so, nice one

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Fitting a solar panel for Scotland. Now there's optimism. Is it to run an electric midge zapper ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I wired my spare terminals to a 12v ciggar socket and charge my phones and torch for free:thumb:
It should be noted these spare terminals will only be live when the batteries are full,ish, when they drop below a certain threshold the regulator will cut supply to them and send all available charge to the leisure batteries, when full again any spare power is sent back to the phone/torch socket, as John said at about 2 amp max:Cool:
G

OP
OP
B

boris

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
brewood
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Fitting a solar panel for Scotland. Now there's optimism. Is it to run an electric midge zapper ?

True. got my sun tan oil, midge cream, rain mac and back up generator

OP
OP
B

boris

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
brewood
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
I wired my spare terminals to a 12v ciggar socket and charge my phones and torch for free:thumb:
It should be noted these spare terminals will only be live when the batteries are full,ish, when they drop below a certain threshold the regulator will cut supply to them and send all available charge to the leisure batteries, when full again any spare power is sent back to the phone/torch socket, as John said at about 2 amp max:Cool:
G

cheers for info but dont think i'll bother with the faf of extra wiring

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
True. got my sun tan oil, midge cream, rain mac and back up generator
Oh dear :Doh:.....sun oil (along with any perfumed toiletries) attracts the little buggers and midge cream is pretty much useless.

if you have the time buy a bottle of Avon 'skin so soft' skin cream/softener (blue-ish green label)

the Army/SAS use it when on manoeuvres in Scotland, so it must work.

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Not usually the case, loads 1 and 2 are for connecting everything up to the total wattage of the controller, then when the battery falls to a preset level those loads will be disconnected to protect the battery. I run my TV, sat system and inverter ect from the load rather than direct from the battery. Not only do you get protection for the battery but you also get voltage spike protection as it is a regulated output. These facilities are usually ignored but they are there for a purpose. The Rapido does I believe could be wrong I often am) have a Schudlt electrabloc fitted to handle all of the electrics in the van that being the case it is possible to get a matching regulator to plug straight into the electrabloc rather than connect straight to the batteries. The advantage of this is the ability to charge the engine battery as well as the hab battery.

OP
OP
B

boris

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
brewood
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
is it ok to just bed the solar panel down on silicone, it has an aluminium frame about 1 1/2" I have a plastic junction box siliconed to the roof above the wardrobe for the wires to go through.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
may be the case on some Rogr, but the controller on the kontiki had a max load of 2 amps and only worked when the panel was 'dead'...ie night time.

basically if the panel was producing power it switched off the aux output....hence me saying it is for a porch light etc.

OP
OP
B

boris

Free Member
Aug 7, 2012
brewood
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Oh dear :Doh:.....sun oil (along with any perfumed toiletries) attracts the little buggers and midge cream is pretty much useless.

if you have the time buy a bottle of Avon 'skin so soft' skin cream/softener (blue-ish green label)

the Army/SAS use it when on manoeuvres in Scotland, so it must work.

think we'll go to France instead then, at least i can test the solar panel

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I cant see that its been mentioned yet But..
Connect the regulator to your leisure battery FIRST, leave it on a few mins and connect the solar panel last..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
may be the case on some Rogr, but the controller on the kontiki had a max load of 2 amps and only worked when the panel was 'dead'...ie night time.

basically if the panel was producing power it switched off the aux output....hence me saying it is for a porch light etc.

The reason for that John is the contoller used was intended for automatic lighting rigs, however there is a setting Number 6 if memory serves correctly that allows output all the time and you could use the red button to switch on and off if you held the button down for a longer time it would change the programable settings for automatic varying lengths of light on. Cheapo controllers not original intended for motorhome use. I did run my TV etc though one of those in the old beast. But even then output was the same as controller was rated at. 10amp From memory, I still have the paperwork so will look it up.

Kayold

Free Member
Oct 23, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year M/H, caravans 20+ yrs
May I ask, if these usually unused connections were wired to a 12v socket or inverter would an additional fuse be required between the controller and new outlet?

Thanks

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi,
I thought that you had to leave a gap between the panel and roof for air flow to keep it cool? hence brackets seemed to be usually used
S

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
May I ask, if these usually unused connections were wired to a 12v socket or inverter would an additional fuse be required between the controller and new outlet?

Thanks

There is an old saying, you can never have enough fuses !

OK, strictly speaking that is not exactly true, but a feed line that is fused is always safer than one that isn't :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back