Reverse Polarity (1 Viewer)

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
Hi I have just got a new (to us) Autosleeper having traded in our Bongo. On the Bongo, as with camping hook up, there was an indicator for reverse polarity. The new Autosleeper with all it's fancy electrics does not have an indicator. Does anyone know if I should fit one? or does it sort out the polarity automatically? Many thanks John

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have not yet heard of a van with a reverse polarity warning though I'm sure someone has it built in. Check the main fuses and see if it is fused on the live and the negative side like most Overseas vans, if it is then no need to worry about polarity. Should show in the handbook circuit diagram

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You are doomed, you will die:Eeek:
Now wev'e that out the way
I dont wory about it and im still here:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I had reverse polarity once......

Came as a bit of a Shock actually......

but after a while I came back down to EARTH...

and now my opinion is NEUTRAL on the subject....

as I LIVE'd to tell the tale....:winky:

Now Gasman, if you really want to worry about something on the continent,

GAS GAS, GAS......
:RollEyes:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi I have just got a new (to us) Autosleeper having traded in our Bongo. On the Bongo, as with camping hook up, there was an indicator for reverse polarity. The new Autosleeper with all it's fancy electrics does not have an indicator. Does anyone know if I should fit one? or does it sort out the polarity automatically? Many thanks John

Hi John
You can buy a polarity tester at the caravan shops just plug in and follow the lights instructions, better safe than sorry. Pete :thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Hi John
You can buy a polarity tester at the caravan shops just plug in and follow the lights instructions, better safe than sorry. Pete :thumb:

Got one of these, they Work!:thumb: Only cost a couple of bob, well worth it if you are going O S :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
if reverse polarity worries you, just buy one of Link Removed

plug it in a normally unused socket and leave it there for future reference.

These are simple and effective... just make yourself up a short reverse polarity lead to put in line if you identify a problem...:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
These are simple and effective... just make yourself up a short reverse polarity lead to put in line if you identify a problem...:thumb:
Agreed.....and to make a lead, take a short length of 3 core flex and a hookup type plug and socket.

connect the brown wire to the positive (+) terminal in the plug and the other end of the brown wire to the negative (-) terminal of the socket.

do the same with the blue wire with the remaining two terminals (neg in plug and pos in socket)) and the earth is connected as normal..earth to earth.

clearly mark the lead so you know its a reversed lead.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have just bought one of these; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251058309.../sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=251058309916&_rdc=1
.... includes both items you need, probably not the cheapest but suits me.:thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Our van has a warning light on the sergeant unit you tell us when e we have reversed polarity and it was on most of our time in France but due to most of the comments on fun, we did nothing about it and are still here to tell the tale, the vans electric would trip before any damage was done anyway, we think.

OP
OP
gasman2008
Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
Thanks

Thank you to everyone who replied, I will get a plug tester, I already have a polarity changing cable. My old Bongo had a reverse polarity indicator on the zig (type) unit, many french sites have reverse polarity and if there is a problem then the MCB would be on the neutral not the line, so the appliance would be protected but not the person. I would like to save me as well if possible::bigsmile:

Thank John

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Link Removed

These are what the trade use - pricey here but have seen them cheaper. Paid ÂŁ18 for mine I think.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thank you to everyone who replied, I will get a plug tester, I already have a polarity changing cable. My old Bongo had a reverse polarity indicator on the zig (type) unit, many french sites have reverse polarity and if there is a problem then the MCB would be on the neutral not the line, so the appliance would be protected but not the person. I would like to save me as well if possible::bigsmile:

Thank John

An MCB is an overload device and will trip if more current is used than the breaker is rated at...unless there is a dead short to earth it shouldn't trip

But more to the point, French (and probably most of Europe) use double pole (live and neutral) RCD protection in the hookup post, so if there is an earth fault the post will trip anyway.

this is why French electrics are wired either way...it doesnt matter as it will still trip.

Last edited:

bigmillie

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Camberley Surrey
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Classic C class
Exp
On/off since 1966
This is an electric hook up point on a Camp site in Morocco !!:Eeek::Eeek: