Autumn tour suggestions (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
For a number of reasons, including son inconsiderately getting married late September ::bigsmile:, we have had to defer an autumn foray into Europe.
Does anyone have suggestions for 4-6 weeks away? If it was earlier we'd probably go down through France, into Spain and have a first time in Portugal or maybe go the other way to Italy.
What sort of weather could we expect in October on the Atlantic coast round to Santiago de Compostela, Vigo and on into Portugal?
Probably too late to head east through Germany to Hungary/Czech Rep?
Look forward to others ideas.:Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats not quite the best time to be there .can be storms and rough sea . . can be exciting though.
mind it can be great, sunny and warm . but its not med spain etc . you are talking galecia and north portugal . ship wreck country.
but so long as you take warm dry clothes it can be an adventure.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
thats not quite the best time to be there .can be storms and rough sea . . can be exciting though.
mind it can be great, sunny and warm . but its not med spain etc . you are talking galecia and north portugal . ship wreck country.
but so long as you take warm dry clothes it can be an adventure.

Much as I thought. Last time we were down that way, Feb/March 2011 in Caceres, Seville, Cordoba the temperatures were up around 28-30 but northern Spain and Portugal are , of course, prey to the same Atlantic weather we get in the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We are thinking of Bavaria early in September. Anyone have info on what the weather might be like or best places to stay/go? or not to miss? ::bigsmile:
Ivy

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
on the atlantic you do have to remember in september its known as september swells .big surf . ideal for the surfers . can be nice but its chance. why not just do asturia and cantarbria etc . all that top coast is my favourite part of spain . you may even have fun up the pecos da europa as well . some interesting roads going up and coming down. take it slow hug the coast you may not get past la coruna . there are some great places . no roads between you and the sea is best. if you can.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
on the atlantic you do have to remember in september its known as september swells .big surf . ideal for the surfers . can be nice but its chance. why not just do asturia and cantarbria etc . all that top coast is my favourite part of spain . you may even have fun up the pecos da europa as well . some interesting roads going up and coming down. take it slow hug the coast you may not get past la coruna . there are some great places . no roads between you and the sea is best. if you can.

Nice area, certainly but we've travelled both sides of the Picos and up and over them.
Sort of fancied Portugal but perhaps better saved for Spring/early Summer?

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Would imagine the autumn colour would be brill in the ole Schwarzwald?

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
We are thinking of Bavaria early in September. Anyone have info on what the weather might be like or best places to stay/go? or not to miss? ::bigsmile:
Ivy

Don't have any personal experience, but several lots of walking friends say that September is the best month for walking in the alps in general and the German Alpenstrasse and Austria in particular.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, well portugal can be exciting just be aware of the winds . but inland can be better. think its suck it and see. must say i love the coast . even a good storm is something i like to see.
i say get a cepsa mapamax map of spain and portugal .best map for showing the smaller roads by the coast .and names little beaches and coves others miss . just about all are useable for camper /motorhomes .we go through with trucks .
when you get it use the white oads on the map. you will have an advernture believe me .
we do it regularly all the way round portugal ,galeicia and across the top of spain . great trip.
bit ziggy n zaggy .but fantastic scenery and loads of drinking water in fonts along the way.

simi

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
Berchtesgaden is great, lovely walks The eagles nest, and the salt mine, so lots to do :Smile:

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
June

Bavaria is beautiful at any time. September should be fine and warm. Take the Romantic Route down and just head for the mountains. You'll love it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back