Bilbao HELP! (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2009
Saltdean, Brighton
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
22 years
Bilbao HELP! We are arriving at Bilbao 31st August on route to Benicassim for a couple of months. We have about 6 days prior to site arrival allowing for a little look around. We need a first night stop-over within an hour or so of Bilbao port. We have been to Haro (convenient) but fancy a change! Don't like travelling after dark so something easy!! Any advice would be much appreciated! :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hi there is a site at Navarette which I think is about 1.5 hours East of Bilbao.

There is also a couple of sites in Noja which from memory are about 45 minutes from Bilbao.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
There is a very nice site in Zarautz which is 59 miles from Bilbao. On top of the cliffs with good views over the town. Reception speak English.

Have a look at Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

belboy

Free Member
Aug 16, 2010
N/Ireland
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
Bilbao HELP! We are arriving at Bilbao 31st August on route to Benicassim for a couple of months. We have about 6 days prior to site arrival allowing for a little look around. We need a first night stop-over within an hour or so of Bilbao port. We have been to Haro (convenient) but fancy a change! Don't like travelling after dark so something easy!! Any advice would be much appreciated! :thumb:

Hi Bollard: Any chance you can give me a heads up on the sites around Benicassim please

Cheers
Belboy

bob

Free Member
Feb 10, 2008
ALDRIDGE WEST MIDS
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
SINCE 1992
Bilbao

We travel to benicassim most winters and although our boat to Bilbao docks early we can make Benicassim in a day arriving around 4pm . But wth the paperwork that comes with the booking they say it is poss to stay overnight in the car park and get an early start next day,we have friends who did this last year. Bob

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Zarautz camping

There is a very nice site in Zarautz which is 59 miles from Bilbao. On top of the cliffs with good views over the town. Reception speak English.

Have a look at Link Removed

We have just stayed there (15+16th July)and its a nice site with a really friendly owner. But it is the surfing capital of the area and we had noise till 2am both of the nights we were there. There are lots of young surfers staying at this time of year. But it was only friendly talking and not to intrusive.
The sun sets are not to miss, walk out of the site (opposite end of the entrance (eastwards)) and there is a bank that everybodys watches them from. If you get a pitch on the front of the site then you will have some fabulous views. I have posted some pictures in members albums.
The best bar on the site looks a bit naff but is on the right of the entrance car park as you arrive at the site (100mtrs from the site bar). The "site" bar food/beer is nowhere as good.
Everybody we met was really friendly and helpful and even with the late night noise I would recommend it as it is a nice friendly site and only about onepointfive hours from Bilbao port.:thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Bollard: Any chance you can give me a heads up on the sites around Benicassim please

Cheers
Belboy

Hi
We have stopped at Bonterra Park Bennicassim for the last 5 Years good clean well laid out site good size pitches with water ,drainage n leci, THE SITE TO AVOID is AZAHAR which is a bit further down the road ,
Bonterra is very well located for beach, shops etc.
We have booked next year already. Peter :thumb::thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Navarret is junction 11 coming from Bilboa, we stopper there coming back from Benicasim earlier this year. Decent little camp we had two nights. Peter :thumb:

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We stopped here in late February 2011. Not far from Bilbao, handy for a trip in on the train to see the city, Guggenheim Gallery etc. Right above a beach, too.

Deleted User
Hi
We have stopped at Bonterra Park Bennicassim for the last 5 Years good clean well laid out site good size pitches with water ,drainage n leci, THE SITE TO AVOID is AZAHAR which is a bit further down the road ,
Bonterra is very well located for beach, shops etc.
We have booked next year already. Peter :thumb::thumb:

Why avoid Azahar? Not everyone likes urban sites like Bonterra Park or needs a supermarket on the doorstep, some of us may like the more basic charm of a site like Azahar.Bennicassim is a nice Spanish town though with a superb market.:Smile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
This village is on the St James Way which is the pilgrim route to Santiago De Compestella.
It's close to Burgos and not too far from Bilbao.
The facilities are not up to much but the village is great and there are loads of cave houses still lived in.
The local bar has the different currencies of all the pilgrims that have passed through the village, plastered all over the ceiling and walls.

http://www.campingcamino.com/ it's an ACSI site.

Yes that is me in the aforesaid bar.

Pete:Cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1514.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I would recommend

Comillas - see Broken Link Removed

Lovely little town with a superb Gaudi building to look round, and lots of nice cycling. When we were there we were right on the edge of the site overlooking a small beach - it was great. Good restaurants too, and a nice town square with bars for sitting out in!

bob

Free Member
Feb 10, 2008
ALDRIDGE WEST MIDS
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
SINCE 1992
Haro,navarette

Done Haro & Navarette .Found that Haro suited us better given that we tow a car and no probs getting to campsite from motorway and Haro was also within walking distance although it was uphill into the town. Navarette I thought could be problem as you have to drive through Navarette and if you was unlucky narrow streets and parking could cause a delay but that thought could just be me as I said we was pulling a car and there was three of us when we went there last year,also once on site I thought the town was a bit to far to walk. You could check it out by googling the routes with google street view and see what you think Bob

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The Navarette site was selling the local Rioja ( called Navarette) when I was there last summer. Excellent stuff ( the Crianza) at less than 3 euros a bottle:thumb:

Not a bad site. Has a small bar/ restaurant with free wifi. We ate there and it was pretty basic stuff but served with a smile.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back