Charging vehicle battery in storage? (1 Viewer)

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
I am thinking about putting my m/home in storage this coming winter for longish periods.
How can I charge the vehicle battery so that it reduces the chance of it being flat when I go to get it ?.
Its a 2008 Bessacarr E560 which has a mains charging unit which you can swap from vehicle to leisure battery but as I won't have access to mains what can I do?

Any useful ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin
:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Solar or remove the battery connections ( make sure you know any radio passwords etc ).

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Solar, as long as you are stored outside. Even a titchy 40w panel will do the trick, but as they're getting so cheap now I would suggest 80w.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
kinsleyboy

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
What else would I need?

Solar, as long as you are stored outside. Even a titchy 40w panel will do the trick, but as they're getting so cheap now I would suggest 80w.

Thanks. I presume I would need some clever electronics to connect the panel to my charging unit so that I can charge the vehicle battery?

Also would I be able to charge the leisure battery if not on EHU (i.e. on an aire or wild camping?.

Martin:Smile:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Thanks. I presume I would need some clever electronics to connect the panel to my charging unit so that I can charge the vehicle battery?

Also would I be able to charge the leisure battery if not on EHU (i.e. on an aire or wild camping?.

Solar panel will not charge your vehicle battery unless it it wired in to do so, I had a panel fitted on mine they gave me the choice to have both hab and vehicle bats charged off the panel, I just had it on the hab has I park at home for a winter charge, so just sticking a panel on won,t do what you asked, but a panel will charge hab battery stuck outside or in the window if that is what you want if out and about with no ehu. Pete

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Solar panel will not charge your vehicle battery unless it it wired in to do so, I had a panel fitted on mine they gave me the choice to have both hab and vehicle bats charged off the panel, I just had it on the hab has I park at home for a winter charge, so just sticking a panel on won,t do what you asked, but a panel will charge hab battery stuck outside or in the window if that is what you want if out and about with no ehu. Pete

I was thinking after posting my reply was based on my vans system yours my be different. Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

You hook the panel, via it's controller to the leisure battery then the "normal" solution is a Battery Master to charger the starter battery from the leisure battery.

Link Removed

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Hi
Over 10 years ago I used a small solar panel, laid on the dash, plugged into the cigarette lighter socket - worked for years - until it was cooked by the sun
:Sad: - well it was in Majorca!:Cool:

OP
OP
kinsleyboy

kinsleyboy

Free Member
Dec 11, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E560
Exp
Oct 09
You hook the panel, via it's controller to the leisure battery then the "normal" solution is a Battery Master to charger the starter battery from the leisure battery.

Link Removed

Thanks Brian, looks like a call to Vanbitz is on the cards!

Martin:thumb:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If not fitting solar a battery master is the solution to a large extent £65 eBay.
If however you are fitting solar then the better and considerably cheaper solution is a cbe csb2 which can be found on eBay circa £22 or from cak tanks circa £30 with postage

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back