LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi all, I need some help with my fridge not getting cold enough? I am in Croatia and the ambient temp is in the 34 degree area. The freezer compartment is keeping the food frozen but the normal compartment is not getting to a cool enough temp. The question is, does the fridge reduce the temp from ambient say -20 degs from ambient or should it achieve about 6-10 degrees no matter what the ambient temp is? I have checked the vents and there is good airflow. Any advice appreciated. Derek.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We used to buy a bag of ice from the supermarket and put it in the bowl part at the bottom of the fridge, use the ice in drinks, put bottles & cans etc. in there with it. It would last a couple of days and worked quite well, just remember to empty any water out! ::bigsmile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all, I need some help with my fridge not getting cold enough? I am in Croatia and the ambient temp is in the 34 degree area. The freezer compartment is keeping the food frozen but the normal compartment is not getting to a cool enough temp. The question is, does the fridge reduce the temp from ambient say -20 degs from ambient or should it achieve about 6-10 degrees no matter what the ambient temp is? I have checked the vents and there is good airflow. Any advice appreciated. Derek.

Depends on the fridge. Some condenser fridges only work down to a certain level below ambient. Compressor fridges generally work to a target temp irrespective of ambient.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Southampton

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Depends on the fridge. Some condenser fridges only work down to a certain level below ambient. Compressor fridges generally work to a target temp irrespective of ambient.

Thanks, it is an Absorption fridge whatever that means. I guess it is something below ambient. Anyway will put a pack of ice in as suggested and see what that does. Thanks everybody......Derek

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, it is an Absorption fridge whatever that means. I guess it is something below ambient. Anyway will put a pack of ice in as suggested and see what that does. Thanks everybody......Derek

I meant absorption not condenser:Doh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator

Just did a quick search and found the following posts/links

http://dirtvan.wordpress.com/refrigeration/
The 90 litre three way absorption type fridge in our Goldstream Explorer does not function efficiently in high ambient temperatures. At 30C it starts to lose effectiveness and by the time the ambient temperature reaches 35C it is hovering around 10C. It is strange that you cannot buy an absorption type fridge under 120 litre that has a tropic rating.

Link Removed...
A DC fan may help improve refrigerator performance when the refrigerator is not installed in accordance with Norcold's installation requirements or when operating the refrigerator in high ambient temperatures (see "Refrigerator Installation Manual"). A DC fan will assist in providing the necessary amount of airflow. Be sure the fan is controlled by a thermostat and begins to operate when the area behind the refrigerator reaches approximately 95 degrees F. The fan should run until the temperature lowers to about 80 degrees F. Consult with your RV dealer for the correct fan and specifications.

95F is 35C so sounds about right there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I too have had a struggling fridge with the same thing happening... cold freezer, not so cold remainder... (even with twin fan blowers helping.)

The ice idea definitely works for me... but buying it can be quite expensive and it isn't always readily available.

... Our plan on our forth coming trip is to make our own ice in the (small) Engle "super" fridge (compressor) and use that ice to assist the much larger Hymer fridge (absorption) in its duties... :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back