Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
flintshire
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
Hi,

I have a Maxview B2590 Omnisat 66 manual satellite system.

Just been on my first motorhome weekend and spent most of it trying to get a descent signal. I managed to get plenty of foreign language channels but not any channels I can understand.

Basically other than changing the direction and elevation of the dish I don't know what I am doing. I have an Avtex tv with built in satellite so I don't need a receiver.

So in order not to spend too much time trying to find the right satellite (which ever one it is). Can anyone suggest a simple to use signal finder that will do the job? Budget would be whatever it needs to be, to keep me sane.

Thanks

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I do not speak from experience as we have an automatic dome, but I suggest you might start by reading this guidance note from Maxview.
Link Removed

They also sell a satellite finder for about £25 - on the same website.

I think from your description, that you may have been pointing at Astra 1 instead of the Astra 2 group.

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
It does get better with practise so persevere

As a general guide in this country the dish will be almost vertical and you need a clear view about 28 degrees east of south, any tall trees or buildings may make it impossible.

As a general guide start where the sun is at about 10.00 am ( I know there is never a sun nowadays) and its in that sector no point in looking elsewhere.

It is very close to a foreign satellite and is very precise.

There are plenty of sat finders especially on ebay some much better than others

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Can anyone suggest a simple to use signal finder that will do the job? Budget would be whatever it needs to be, to keep me sane.

Thanks

A sat finder is usually for outside when you a wrestling with a dish. All they do is beep when they receive any old signal. But you must be within sight and sound of the receiver so does the receiver not offer a signal strength option ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fut1a

Free Member
Jul 28, 2012
flintshire
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
A sat finder is usually for outside when you a wrestling with a dish. All they do is beep when they receive any old signal. But you must be within sight and sound of the receiver so does the receiver not offer a signal strength option ?

The tv just asks me to select a satellite from its list, and then press search. Then if the dish is pointing in the right direction it shows the channels, and the signal strength. The problem is selecting the correct satellite and having the dish pointing in the right direction in the first place, otherwise I am pressing search and then if it finds nothing. or just foreign channels, changing the direction and starting again, and god only knows how many times I did this.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like you are pointing at Astra 1....to far south facing...you need Astra 2.

To find the Astra 2 satellite set the dish almost vertical then point the dish east, then very slowly move the dish to the right southerly until you find a satellite.
Astra 2 at 28.2º East should be the first signal found.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The tv just asks me to select a satellite from its list, and then press search. Then if the dish is pointing in the right direction it shows the channels, and the signal strength. The problem is selecting the correct satellite and having the dish pointing in the right direction in the first place, otherwise I am pressing search and then if it finds nothing. or just foreign channels, changing the direction and starting again, and god only knows how many times I did this.

OK, ignore stupid post and go buy a satfinder !

This sort of thing....
Link Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this diagram and instruction may help........elevation = dish vertical or very close.

Attachments

• astra.jpg
    astra.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Like yourself I struggled and got lots of good advice on this forum. I bought a sat finder and didn't find it great. However I then bought a sat compass and find it excellent . We line it up with the satellite and then do the vertical stuff. Yell at each other for a few minutes and sorted!

Upvote 0

crizatuk

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
IOW
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3 Full timing
Re

Basically needs to point 152 deg and depending where you are in the country the angle either increases or decreases, up here in the lakes i have mine set at 22deg, down on the south coast its about 32deg. Hope that helps, and i have the same sat dish as you.

Good luck. :Smile:

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
I got one of these a few weeks ago not had any luck setting it up
looks like it a two man operation not easy on your own

i gave up
can not see the point of spending hours of wasted time trying to get it to work
looks like i will sell it on

thought that spending £1000+ TO GET TV WAS WASTE BUT NOW
think i would rather turn it on have it do the hard work and see a picture in mins not hours

Any one want a cheap Sat system??? say £80 for full kit?

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Dead simple to get digital terrestrial in UK if theres anything worth watching and if abroad don't watch TV. It works for us.:Smile:

Upvote 0
Jun 15, 2010
glasgow
Funster No
MH
banger autotrail
Exp
i have the same dish after a half bottle and 8cans trying to get a signal i snapped the crank handle off.:Doh:

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I used to set my Sky dish up outside on a tripod. Always looked through the window at the signal strength in the Sky menu on the TV screen. Normally I was locked on, in 1 to 3 minutes. I never failed to get Sky Tv wherever we went from N Scotland to south of France.

Remember to move the dish very slowly, and wait a few seconds between movements. It takes a few seconds to respond and show the signal so if you keep moving the dish it will never lock on to the signal.

I now have an automatic dish in a dome on the roof. Just so easy now as I don't have to go out and rig the dish, then search for the signal. Nice if it is raining, or if we are just stopping for the night, and if wilding we can just drive away in a moment, not worrying about getting the dish back in or lowering it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
We used the maxi on a trypod and set up in min but now we dont take it as we can get 70 odd chann freeview on our roof Ariel

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back