in car phone chargers & sat nav for phones (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all finally got a couple of andriod phones for wife and I -simply because the signal on old phones was crap ::bigsmile:
Firstly both use a mini usb to charge so do they do a 12v car charger to fit and if so what is it called/where to buy ?Maplins?
Next we have 1 HTC-C and a SAMSUNG Ace both have gps on can I get sat nav to fit? also where from how much ?
terry

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
12V chargers just about anywhere.

Have they not already got Goggle Maps loaded on them ? If not then it's a free app. Not bad for a freebie, except the voice is a bit of a robot. :ROFLMAO::Eeek:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
On the charger front, have you considered Link RemovedWith standard USB to micro USB cables you can charge both at the same time.

As for an app - if you look on Google Play Store there are a number of freebies, although I am currently looking at Link Removed as I want to load POIs. Work in progress at the moment as no experience of that.

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Steve and Mike sent for cig adapter :thumb: I take it no issues with voltage differences :thumb: just plug in and away you go.Both have maps on phone :thumb: How do they work as sat navs ?keep it simple ::bigsmile:I will have to play around a bit :winky:I had a all singing and dancing phone about 5 yrs ago but only used it for calls :Doh:::bigsmile: These are light yrs more advanced cheers
terry

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi all finally got a couple of andriod phones for wife and I -simply because the signal on old phones was crap ::bigsmile:
Firstly both use a mini usb to charge so do they do a 12v car charger to fit and if so what is it called/where to buy ?Maplins?
Next we have 1 HTC-C and a SAMSUNG Ace both have gps on can I get sat nav to fit? also where from how much ?
terry
Hi Terry I have an Android and it came with an appt called NAVIGATION already installed. Great appt and I think better than my old....tom tom 700. I use it for walking cycling and in the car. Another fantastic free appt is Real Time GPS Tracker.
A charger as already said can be acquired from most shops.:thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all sorry to sound like a dummy ::bigsmile:but where is the best place to get Apps ?also need some free games for Grandson --Scared to simply download from anywhere in case of virus etc, need trusted site pref for free :winky:
terry

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Hi all sorry to sound like a dummy ::bigsmile:but where is the best place to get Apps ?also need some free games for Grandson --Scared to simply download from anywhere in case of virus etc, need trusted site pref for free :winky:
terry

Samsung App Shop
Orange App Shop
Play Store

..... are some I've looked at, and d/l'd a couple.

Get AVG Free for Android anti-virus

:thumb:

Last edited:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Hi Terry I have an Android and it came with an appt called NAVIGATION already installed. Great appt and I think better than my old....tom tom 700. I use it for walking cycling and in the car. Another fantastic free appt is Real Time GPS Tracker.
A charger as already said can be acquired from most shops.:thumb:

I found Navigation to be the most completely useless piece of sh!te imaginable.

There you go - 2 impartial user reports

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I found Navigation to be the most completely useless piece of sh!te imaginable.

There you go - 2 impartial user reports

I'm all for a bit of constructive criticism,:cry: perhaps I did over play it a bit. Given that my tom tom is around 10 years old perhaps we are not comparing it with identical technology's.
Now what are your criticisms of the Navigation, I find that the graphics are excellent, the voice is very clear, it displays accurate real time, easy to input data, plenty of short cuts etc etc. The only negative I could think of is that it is not suitable for anyone with a restricted data package, I have unlimited so not effected.:Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am currently looking at Link Removed as I want to load POIs. Work in progress at the moment as no experience of that.

Steve

I have co-pilot live 8 on an old windows phone. It's very good. Out of date but still totally usable.

There were many unhappy people with the Android version when it came out but surely they've de-bugged it by now.

People using Google and others for navigation, be aware it could cost you dear abroad. Co-pilot, at least under windows uses no on-line connection. That may pay for it on a trip across Europe.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'm all for a bit of constructive criticism,:cry: perhaps I did over play it a bit. Given that my tom tom is around 10 years old perhaps we are not comparing it with identical technology's.
Now what are your criticisms of the Navigation, I find that the graphics are excellent, the voice is very clear, it displays accurate real time, easy to input data, plenty of short cuts etc etc. The only negative I could think of is that it is not suitable for anyone with a restricted data package, I have unlimited so not effected.:Cool:

I have been playing around and now know the maps/sat nav is in and working and a lot of other stuff :Smile: from this post does that mean when using the sat nav on phone it is eating into data allowance? sorry to be so thick about it all
terry

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Wow you really are dumb Terry :ROFLMAO:
You saved me asking all those stupid questions as I am thinking of getting a new phone (not as I have any friends who ring):ROFLMAO: please keep asking stupid questions as you call them as I am learning a lot from your lack of knowledge:RollEyes: I have no idea how they work either :thumb:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
You do need to find an App that lets you down load all the maps you need over Wi-Fi. Otherwise, as Hilldweller points out, you need a 3G connection and that effectively makes overseas use impractical/unaffordable.

You do then have to make sure your device has the capacity to download the mapping to. MicroSD cards are now really quite cheap provided the phone can handle them.

NavFree World is a freebie I downloaded for my Android which does include mapping. Never been used in anger so have no idea how good it is.

Co Pilot is a paid for App which also downloads mapping in advance.

Steve

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Wow you really are dumb Terry :ROFLMAO:
You saved me asking all those stupid questions as I am thinking of getting a new phone (not as I have any friends who ring):ROFLMAO: please keep asking stupid questions as you call them as I am learning a lot from your lack of knowledge:RollEyes: I have no idea how they work either :thumb:

Not quite as dumb now ::bigsmile: I know all sorts today that I did not know yesterday :ROFLMAO:Don,t worry though I am sure there will be more daft questions :thumb:
Terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not quite as dumb now ::bigsmile: I know all sorts today that I did not know yesterday :ROFLMAO:
Terry

So do I. I thought I'd look what I am missing and could not believe the price for Android and what it now offers. Streets ahead of my old V8 which was about three times the cost a few years ago. If I hadn't already got the old one which is little used I wouldn't hesitate at that price.

Needs 2G storage for Europe maps.

sealski

Free Member
Feb 17, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
VW transporter conversion
Exp
4 years
Come across Navfree last week for my Android, I do believe this is available for the iPhone as well. It is currently performing as well as my Navman satnav. It workd great offline, meaning it does not require mobile Data or Wireless connections, just GPS. The voice commands are good as well

It also has the advantage of setting your vehicle as RV/Lorry.

The POIs are lacking, but I have downloaded UK & ROI, France, Germany & Spain Maps, all free, however, I would suggest you get a 8gb memory card to handle multiple map downloads.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Right then next daft Q Paul my mate says Ican tether the tablet to the phone via blue tooth :thumb: he says it is stright forward simply turn BT on ,on both phone and tablet and you can then acess web from phone controled by tablet::bigsmile: Is it as simple as he says? OR shall I wait for him to do /show me how to do it :Smile:
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back