Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
Hi

I need help

Our Thetford shutter doesnt completely open when its supposed to (dont know if that is the cause of this problem).

When I pull the cassette out of the van to empty it, its got wee on top of it, so when we're peeing, its not all going inside the cassette?

Can anyone advise what to do to sort it?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Replace the seal (about £8) which is a lot for a bit of rubber, and then keep it lubricated (olive oil). After a while they can harden and go out of shape and jam things up.

OP
OP
B

boogie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
VW Gatcombe
Exp
Replace the seal (about £8) which is a lot for a bit of rubber, and then keep it lubricated (olive oil). After a while they can harden and go out of shape and jam things up.

Thanks for your help! Appreciate that!

I've just had a look into buying a seal. How do I know which model I've got? Does it tell you on the cassette somewhere? Or where?

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Take the old one off, give it a wash, and take it with you to your accessory shop. There appear to be 3 different ones. You've got to take the old one off to put in the new one anyway.

When replacing the screws in the ring that holds the seal in, tighten each screw a bit in turn to make sure it's evenly held down, a 2minute job.

Now please wash your hands :ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Take the old one off, give it a wash, and take it with you to your accessory shop. There appear to be 3 different ones. You've got to take the old one off to put in the new one anyway.

When replacing the screws in the ring that holds the seal in, tighten each screw a bit in turn to make sure it's evenly held down, a 2minute job.

Now please wash your hands :ROFLMAO:

Where else could anyone get such comprehensive instructions, instantly, for less than 3p a day.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another thing to check is that the cassette fits snugly under the toilet. When we had a Rimor the cassette didn’t sit tight up against the toilet and we ended up with some ‘fluid’ leaking onto the top of the cassette, we solved it by putting a small plastic wedge under the base of the cassette when in the compartment which removed the play and we never had any problem with dribbles after that.:Blush::RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi

I need help

Our Thetford shutter doesnt completely open when its supposed to (dont know if that is the cause of this problem).

When I pull the cassette out of the van to empty it, its got wee on top of it, so when we're peeing, its not all going inside the cassette?

Can anyone advise what to do to sort it?

Boogie... after going to the toilet ...Don't be to hasty in closing the trap inside your bowl..especially if you are about to empty your cassette..because when you flush the toilet the water swirls around the bowl and may take a minute to finally drain into the holding tank.....so if you have closed the trap the water draining down will be sat on top of your cassette when you pull it out to empty.....it may not be pee, it may just be water....so before you change your seal...check all water has drained into the holding tank..and then see if you still have liquid on top of your cassette..does that make sense:Doh:

Also make sure your cassette goes fully home into the holding bay normally with a click when it reaches the correct spot.
:thumb:

If its the C200 cassette..there is a shaped / bent piece of tin/steel may be coloured yellow that acts as a stop it clicks into position and you have to lift it to take out the cassette.
like this C200 on ebay
Link Removed

Or if it is the C250 type the pull out handle you use to pull it along like a small shopping trolley this acts as the catch and clicks when pushed fully home in the toilet bay...you will lift the handle to take the cassette out

like this C250 on ebay
Link Removed

Same one used on the C200 & C250
Link Removed

A different seal is used on the early models pre 2000
Mel

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.