A question regarding a rear Motorcycle carrier (1 Viewer)

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
I'm about to get the MH weighed to check it and I suddenly wondered if I have to get the Rear of the vehicle, then the front, weighed (by pulling halfway over etc) to work out what my rear axle weight limit is? Or can this info be found on the weight plate?

Thanks

Derek

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When you go to the bridge they should do all three weights anyway mate.. its pretty standard procedure, but if they don't tell em thats what you need :thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I'm about to get the MH weighed to check it and I suddenly wondered if I have to get the Rear of the vehicle, then the front, weighed (by pulling halfway over etc) to work out what my rear axle weight limit is? Or can this info be found on the weight plate?

Thanks

Derek

On the plate manufacturers and converters plates, Derek.
Look in the engine compartment.
You'll find max gross weight (obvious), Max train weight (with a trailer) and both front and rear axle max weights.
These will add up to more than the max gross to allow for uneven loading.
Take notice of both axle and gross weights.
Most commercials who get nicked for overloading are overweight on an axle rather than gross weight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I went to the local Builder supplies yard best whe not so busy with trucks n vans, I went mid afternoon, did a 3 way weighing to check axels and gross, print out supplied for a £5.00 . Peter :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
acting_strange
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
My Local Lafarge said they would do it for £4 but the lady seemed confused when I said I needed the axles weighing as well..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My Local Lafarge said they would do it for £4 but the lady seemed confused when I said I needed the axles weighing as well..

"The lady seemed confused"..............Well that's a new one. Bet she didn't admit it :RollEyes:.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Thanks

Derek

Yes you do then need to measure overhang and wheelbase then all will be revealed, probably that you can't do it.

PS: Or if you can do it you will probably lose all your carrying capacity.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
get a 6-7.5 ton truck then you can have loads of space and surplus weight capacity . no good playing with kids toys get big boys toys instead. and get cheaper tax maybe . :thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
get a 6-7.5 ton truck then you can have loads of space and surplus weight capacity . no good playing with kids toys get big boys toys instead. and get cheaper tax maybe . :thumb:

Doesnt answer the query, Alan.
Also worth bearing in mind:
the larger vehicles may have cheaper VED rates, but they cant go all the places or park where one plated at 3500 or lower can.
Lots of 3.5t weight limits out there mate, especially in French villages.
The old adage "size isnt everything" applies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
acting_strange
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Yes you do then need to measure overhang and wheelbase then all will be revealed, probably that you can't do it.

PS: Or if you can do it you will probably lose all your carrying capacity.

Thanks for the "glass half empty" Brian....lol...Failing all else I will use a trailer for the Lammy..

BTW...the TTL113's arrived today...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you dont have to go enormous in size .my mates daf is smaller than many a motor home . as for the villagers you could say its there loss .but in practice there arent that many places you cant go. and as for parking never had a problem .you sure you arent seeing problems were there are hardly any . certainly carrying a motorbike on a 3500kg motor home is a problem. thats for sure.
and there is a world that doesnt need france.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

Thanks

Derek
Hi, I'm about to get a scooter rack fitted to my van and it has turned very complicated. Evidently Peugeot/fiat/Citroen have a nose weight max of 150 kgs. But my van is a Renault master and only has a nose max of 100kgs. Trouble is bike weighs 100 and rack and frame weighs 50 total 150 and over the nose weight max. Having to get a special rack made that will not be used for towing but purely as a support device for the bike.
Hope that helps.
Paul

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Having to get a special rack made that will not be used for towing but purely as a support device for the bike.
Hope that helps.
Paul

So 200Kg added at overhand distance could put 300Kg on the back axle and that is more than some vans have in carrying capacity.

Hanging on a bike/scooter is a nightmare.

Neatest solution I've seen is the swivelling wheel semi-trailers that let you reverse just as normal, pricey though and does extend the overhang radius.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back