Middleton, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Autohome Highwayman II
Exp
since 2010
Hi Everybody need some advice?

going to travel to Spain next year in May well planning anyway,
oh and whats the weather like that time of year?

please advise this will be my first trip aboard with the RV?

what will i need?

i have a satnav with campsites and aires built in so just gunna stop wherever, but want to end up in Benidorm.

going through France would like to do some wine tasteingLink Removed at local farms any recommendations?

all advice greatly appreciated!Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
May is............................ HOT !!! :thumb:

Best advice I can give.. avoid peage routes as you will end up skint :cry:

Second best advice... do not get too bogged down with to much information. The French police are pretty good if they see you cock up and you explain it is your first trip ( no matter if it isn't :winky: )

Third best advice... relax, and enjoy !!

Benidorm
Where as most of Spain is inhabited with painfully honest folk who are friendly and always willing to help, Benidorm seems to attract more than its fair share of low lifes, so do be extra careful with security when there.

OP
OP
AlanKaren

AlanKaren

Free Member
Sep 12, 2011
Middleton, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Autohome Highwayman II
Exp
since 2010
May is............................ HOT !!! :thumb:

Best advice I can give.. avoid peage routes as you will end up skint :cry:

Second best advice... do not get too bogged down with to much information. The French police are pretty good if they see you cock up and you explain it is your first trip ( no matter if it isn't :winky: )

Third best advice... relax, and enjoy !!

Benidorm
Where as most of Spain is inhabited with painfully honest folk who are friendly and always willing to help, Benidorm seems to attract more than its fair share of low lifes, so do be extra careful with security when there.

think you may have put me of Benidorm :roflmto: thx for advice n whats the peage routes? is it all toll roads?:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Don't be put off Benidorm. I go there twice each year, on my way down to the winter quarters in Sept/Oct and on my way back to uk in March/April.

It's no worse than Blackpool for wrong 'uns etc. in fact it's probably safer than Blackpool.

Wherever you go, be as security conscious as you are in the UK and you'll be OK.

Pete:Cool:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes.. peage roads are toll roads and believe me, they can get bloody expensive..

Couple of years ago we were on a bit of a flier and had to do a certain route in double quick time.
We went round from the Italian Riviera, along the French south cost then up north from Marseille ..
Just stuffed the credit card in the hole at each peage.. we knew it was not gonna be cheap, but when the credit card bill came in, we have done £480 in tolls in 2 days..

Because the van is over 4 tonnes and quite tall, all the automated tolls had us down as an HGV commercial vehicle..

OP
OP
AlanKaren

AlanKaren

Free Member
Sep 12, 2011
Middleton, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Autohome Highwayman II
Exp
since 2010
Don't be put off Benidorm. I go there twice each year, on my way down to the winter quarters in Sept/Oct and on my way back to uk in March/April.

It's no worse than Blackpool for wrong 'uns etc. in fact it's probably safer than Blackpool.

Wherever you go, be as security conscious as you are in the UK and you'll be OK.

thanks Pete i will bear that in mind! any advice on a decent campsite and route down there?

cheers Alan

OP
OP
AlanKaren

AlanKaren

Free Member
Sep 12, 2011
Middleton, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Autohome Highwayman II
Exp
since 2010
Yes.. peage roads are toll roads and believe me, they can get bloody expensive..

Couple of years ago we were on a bit of a flier and had to do a certain route in double quick time.
We went round from the Italian Riviera, along the French south cost then up north from Marseille ..
Just stuffed the credit card in the hole at each peage.. we knew it was not gonna be cheap, but when the credit card bill came in, we have done £480 in tolls in 2 days..

Because the van is over 4 tonnes and quite tall, all the automated tolls had us down as an HGV commercial vehicle..

omg i can't afford that :cry: gunna put avoid toll rds in my sat nav :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
think you may have put me of Benidorm :roflmto: thx for advice n whats the peage routes? is it all toll roads?:thumb:

He's talking bollox. Benidorm is fine. A plonker can be robbed anywhere, just ask Mr Jaws about his family.

We stayed here, closest to the beach, didn't get robbed, assaulted of propositioned once.

Benidorm is a bit on the "Blackpool" tacky side but masses of everything you could ever need. Chinese, Dutch etc food.

http://www.camping-villasol.com/

Madmark62

Free Member
Sep 28, 2011
Wakefield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Lesharo
Exp
I`m a newbie
benidorm :Doh::Doh::Doh:

And your problem with someone wanting to go there is?????

Any place is what you make it, if you want it to be like a British seaside resort, then that is what you will end up with, if you want nto see more of the real Spain the that is what you will find very close to Benidorm.
Lots of nice places and people in Benidorm, lots of places that I dont like in Benidorm, but these places are the ones that the British seem to congregate in, so it maybe that its the British that I dont like?

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
There are nicer places than Benidorm in Spain, as there are nicer places than Blackpool in the UK, you only need to go into the hills above Benidorm to Finestrat. Here you will see a totally different Spain. Nice little camp site too. :Cool:
Depends which you prefer, if it's your first trip you may be better off in parts of the country that understand some of your native tongue.
We prefer the more rural areas where, as has been said by John (Jaws), you meet locals who may not speak English so take some understanding but are good nice people, and we feel safe in their company. :thumb:

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
I can only give advice of winters in Benidorm as we've never been there in May, but in winter we feel a lot safer walking around there than in lots of area's in England, most area's are well lit in the evenings with hundreds of bars and clubs mostly open even in Jan and Feb.
In the day time the promenade and beach are packed with spanish and northern european retirees and with a large police presence patrolling at all times.
The crime rate there is probably higher than some area's of Spain but where you get such a large amount of people its always going to attract a few criminals.
The camping sites are mostly clean and very safe, we tend to go on Raco because it allows dogs and for the good walking in the woods above Benidorm.
Don't be put off Benidorm there is something for everybody and the people who Knock it are usually the ones who've never been .Thousands of coffin dodgers can't be wrong.
Alan:thumb:

Griffs

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
SOUTH WALES
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
And your problem with someone wanting to go there is?????

Any place is what you make it, if you want it to be like a British seaside resort, then that is what you will end up with, if you want nto see more of the real Spain the that is what you will find very close to Benidorm.
Lots of nice places and people in Benidorm, lots of places that I dont like in Benidorm, but these places are the ones that the British seem to congregate in, so it maybe that its the British that I dont like?

NO PROBLEM WITH ANY ONE WANTING TO GO THERE BUT I CAN SEE ALL THE BRITISH PUBS ETC THAT I WANT TO IN THE UK,PLUS JUST UP THE ROAD ALTEA NO COMPARRISON.:Smile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I know this has gone off topic a bit, but there is so much snobbery about not going to Benidorm because it's full of Chav Brits.
What a load of B*****ks there are probably more Dutch and Germans than there are Brits.
All the Brits are in Albir and Altea enjoying their stoney beach and the feeling that they are somehow better than anyone who goes to Benidorm.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
benidorm is possibly the easiest place to street park than anywhere other than madrid in the whole of spain. loads are there. cant speak about campsites, i drive past most and cringe .
its definately worth going if only to see the multi story hotels and get an english breakfast cheap and cheap beer. nice chinese eat as much as you like to the left of sea front looking out to sea.
come along way from the begining . mind blowing i think.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
nice pic .but i still think seeing it for real is better or worse .
very interesting to watch the growth though over the years .

OP
OP
AlanKaren

AlanKaren

Free Member
Sep 12, 2011
Middleton, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Autohome Highwayman II
Exp
since 2010
I can only give advice of winters in Benidorm as we've never been there in May, but in winter we feel a lot safer walking around there than in lots of area's in England, most area's are well lit in the evenings with hundreds of bars and clubs mostly open even in Jan and Feb.
In the day time the promenade and beach are packed with spanish and northern european retirees and with a large police presence patrolling at all times.
The crime rate there is probably higher than some area's of Spain but where you get such a large amount of people its always going to attract a few criminals.
The camping sites are mostly clean and very safe, we tend to go on Raco because it allows dogs and for the good walking in the woods above Benidorm.
Don't be put off Benidorm there is something for everybody and the people who Knock it are usually the ones who've never been .Thousands of coffin dodgers can't be wrong.
Alan:thumb:

haha thx Alan i will defo give Benidorm a try:thumb:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
If you want a change from the camper you could always book into the Solana Hotel for a few nights, they have an interesting barman with a comical son and are also gay and OAP friendly, there is live entertainment with a singer and I understand that one of the guests is curently offering to sell a chain of sunbed shops cheap:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back