Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
I had an advisory on my MoT, the guy showed me that when the steering went from side to side, that one of the drag link ends was showing to much movement, (up an down)
Now I'm no fitter, but a mate who is, reckons they are spring loaded and are designed to move like this.
Anyone have any knowledge in this area?

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Si, he did grease it at the Mot station, still reckoned it should'nt move though.
Good thing was though, it was the local counsil. They have a yard to do their own fleet. I never knew they did private Mot's. Anyway I'll be there every year from now on :thumb:

Maybe worth a try for others looking for RV MoT's Who knows how many counsils have this facility?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Si, he did grease it at the Mot station, still reckoned it should'nt move though.
Good thing was though, it was the local counsil. They have a yard to do their own fleet. I never knew they did private Mot's. Anyway I'll be there every year from now on :thumb:

Maybe worth a try for others looking for RV MoT's Who knows how many counsils have this facility?

99% Of them:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
99% Of them:thumb:
Scarborough must be the other 1% then :cry: they use the local VOSA site

got mine booked in at Beverley council depot on friday.

and this year they AINT using the rolling road to test the parking brake :Cool:

last year was on the rollers and lifted out eventually but scared the bejazus out of me and just about tore me leg muscles pushing the pedal :Eeek: (the tester was newly qualified)

Geo, do you know the procedure for the dynomometer (is that the correct term ?) test at this size ?

speed etc....and who drives ?

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Larger ball joints, like the one on your RV draglink, have a big conical coils spring inside them to take up the play.
With enough of a heave on a crowbar, even a new one will show some lift.

I remember in my Army days, we repaired Bedford ball joints with a kit which consisted of the said spring, a pair of cones and a new ball.

A grease up might sort it!:thumb:

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Larger ball joints, like the one on your RV draglink, have a big conical coils spring inside them to take up the play.
With enough of a heave on a crowbar, even a new one will show some lift.

I remember in my Army days, we repaired Bedford ball joints with a kit which consisted of the said spring, a pair of cones and a new ball.

A grease up might sort it!:thumb:

The lad at work (MoD fitter) said exactly that. Hope I can convince the MoT guy next year.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
There's no up and down movement in any of our volvo truck drag links.

vosa would definitley have failed this on mot at our local test station. I would get it changed.
No doubt someone on here will disagree, but there you go.

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
If there is no movement in the front drag link end then it sounds as if you will have to replace the rear one.
Check if it is left or right hand thread if the drag link is a straight bar it is possible someone may have refitted it the wrong way round no determent really but if the spares cat says l/h thread it will be r/h.

dave e

OP
OP
WinnietheBrave

WinnietheBrave

Free Member
Jun 28, 2010
S. Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Here is a picture of the drag link? the arrow shows direction of movement. the o/s shows about 1-2mm of play but the n/s is about 4-5mm

Attachments

• DRAG LINK.jpg
    DRAG LINK.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 28
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I would have called that an idler arm not a drag link, and my opinion for what its worth is no it shouldn't have any play when you wind the wheel from full lock to full lock.

Ian

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
The bit marked with the red (faint) arrow is a ball joint pure and simple, on the drag link, so needs replacing. We all assumed you meant the drag link bearing which is a totally different beastie, basically what the arm pivots on/center 'bolt' on that arm.

Ivan at West Midlands American vehicles would be my first port of call, http://www.american-vehicles.com/ mind you may need to be sitting down as I'm sure I've seen these on flea bay and they ain't cheep:Sad:

Jul 26, 2012
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Dont have one
Exp
The testers manual states as below: its been a long time since i worked on them but if it is easy enough to see without excessive force then better to be safe than sorry,

Relative movement due to excessive wear MUST
be distinguished from relative movement due to
built-in clearance or spring loading of a joint.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back