Tote-N-Store advice needed (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Guys we may be moving soon to another site, and I won't be able to pump the waste as the sewer is to far away, so I am looking at a portable waste tank like the SmartTote.

Anybody used these or similar? One thing I have noticed, my black tank is 40 gallons but the SmartTote is only 35 gallons and that's the biggest they do. Most Rv tanks I would have thought were this size or bigger, so is this a problem, or is it a case of keeping a close eye on black tank levels?

Barker manufacturing do a bigger one at 42 gallons but from a write up I read it appears a bit flimsy.

Ian

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hi Olley - we have one which we broke - IMO they are OK for towing gently down a nice tarmac road but full up and on rough ground no. Once full up they are very heavy and there is no chance unless you are entering for Britains strongest man that you would be able to do anything but let it drain out - any lifting /tilting etc is just not possible as a full 'load' :Eeek: is upwards of 350 lbs plus the weight of the tote (ie a 26 stone man). Having gone down that route we have a small Fiiama 29 litre one for the odd time we need it and then we macerate into it which gives good control of the contents for 2 of us a couple of trips once a week sorts it out and if needed I can always lift that to a disposal point.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
waste disposal

Hi, Olley if youre interested I have a waste hog that I no longer need, its a wheeled tank
pm me if you wish :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have a large Tote n store for sale, only used a couple of times for grey but did live in a locker on the RV for 4 years. If you want it I could take it to Malvern. Wouldn't cost you much Ian:Smile:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
How big is "Large" Jim ::bigsmile: Already got a waste hog Mike, but thanks for the offer. We stay longterm on site and have found that using a macerator long term isn't a good idea as the tank doesn't sweep clean as it were, as when you open the 3" valve.

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
How big is "Large" Jim ::bigsmile: Already got a waste hog Mike, but thanks for the offer. We stay longterm on site and have found that using a macerator long term isn't a good idea as the tank doesn't sweep clean as it were, as when you open the 3" valve.

Ian

Hi Ian it's the 26 gallon model, designed to fit into a locker. It has a natty attachment that allows you to hook it onto a ball hitch. When I used it I "hung" it from the rear of my bike, 26 galls is pretty heavy. Has the regular RV dump connections.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is the one I have [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Tote-N-Stor-25607-Portable-Waste-Transport/dp/B004TOB6EW[/ame]

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim, that's only the single axle job isn't it? That's a bigger version of my waste hog and that gives me a bit of gip dragging it across a field. Thanks but I definitely want the four wheel jobby, so I also have the option of towing it behind the car.

Might make the show though, Chloe is coming back soon so we have booked that week of for a holiday, but no destination at the moment, not that she would want to spend much time with old fogies like us. ::bigsmile:

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim, that's only the single axle job isn't it? That's a bigger version of my waste hog and that gives me a bit of gip dragging it across a field. Thanks but I definitely want the four wheel jobby, so I also have the option of towing it behind the car.

Might make the show though, Chloe is coming back soon so we have booked that week of for a holiday, but no destination at the moment, not that she would want to spend much time with old fogies like us. ::bigsmile:

Ian

This one has the car towing option when full you need it as its very heavy. Personally I would not want a bigger Tote

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005

Ian

Very wise:thumb:

Deleted User
When we first got the 5'er we obtained a 4 wheel tote, can't remember the exact capacity but found it totally unusable on sites without a floor level black dump point ie most sites we go on. Imagine even 5 gallons swishing around when trying to lift the thing, it currently resides under the static van in France. I resolved the problem by obtaining a 1 & half inch adaptor and short length of pipe and draining into a 5 gallon aquaroll left over from caravanning days. I find this perfectly adequate but normally use site facilities when possible, obviously this needs emptying quite regularly but is much easier to use and store when on the move.

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Thanks guys I think its got to be the 35 gallon jobbie. Not looking to store it, if we ever start to move around I will stick in the shop garage. My problem is a very shallow black tank, and because we are stationary for long periods and I am using a macerator, the flow of crap out of the tank is slow, so I am getting a build up of paper in the tank. I hope that by getting a big tote most of the crap will be swept out into the tote.

That's the theory anyway. ::bigsmile: The other way is to go for a 30 mile run once in a while, so it all gets swished about and then dump straightaway, but do that a few times and I will have spent as much on fuel as a tote cost's. :Smile:

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back