MMM Motorcaravan Motorhome Monthly (1 Viewer)

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
Go my copy today -August £3.95, think it will be my last. A quick count I found 270 odd pages 135+ of which are Display adverts.:Eeek: Of the content, much of the pages are taken up with full page photos of beaches or birds so trying to make up for the real lack of any substance. But we are treated to a 5 page article on (mid-Summer:Doh:) night-time photography and another on the town of Tewksbury:Doh: A few lightweight reports of Scotland and Czech Republic which look like the bulk of which has been cobbled together after a visit to those countries tourist websites, in fact you'd find more information at those tourist websites.

I used to look forward to this magazine, now its utter rubbish, I won't buy another copy.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I have bought MMM for over 20 years. The last 2 years have seen it go into a fast decline. As you say it is FULL of adverts which are mainly for sites. The road tests are a total load of rubbish and geared to keep the manufacturer happy. They appear to be affraid to put a van down as they will loose revenue from the manufacturer.
In the old days when I did a lot of graphics for a well know motorhome manufacturer I was on site when the so called testers arrived. Out of there car came crates of crockery, empty food packets etc. These were then loaded into the motorhome to be tested and the vehicle driven to the end of the car park next to the fields. A couple of months later the road / live in test with photographs was published. It all sounded as if they had covered 400 miles in Scotland with lots of nice pictures, in fact the vehicle hadn't moved from the car park. Since then I never believe a road test in ANY motorhome publication.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I think the manufacturers/nain dealers should lend motorhomes to Motorhome Forum owners so they might earn fantastic reviews for their van:Smile: Listening Travelworld? :Cool:

Good idea:thumb:

Let me be the first to offer my services. If Travelworld have a nice new N+B Flair they'd like tested for a month or two I'm your man, I'll even do it for nothing::bigsmile: Can't get fairer than that can you.:thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I think the manufacturers/nain dealers should lend motorhomes to Motorhome Forum owners so they might earn fantastic reviews for their van:Smile: Listening Travelworld? :Cool:

Oh yes that would be nice..but ALL the manufacturers would want first dibs on any report unless of course we were all making em out to be the best!!

I would of course offer my services as the resident Tenerife correspondent...purely in the service of reporting of course....We live in hope!!!

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984

How true Jim. You are in the trade so will know exactly what I am talking about. Also back in the early days I mentioned to the MD of this manufacturer how strict they tested there vans, his answer was classic. He said they had hundreds of very serious testers who were critical and searching, they were commonly known as customers. I rest my case.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
I cancelled and joined Motorhome fun, found more info and saved money at same time, have back copies of MMM from 2005 stored though.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
MMM Magazine

I too cancelled my subscption some time back, for all the previous reasons, plus I got fedup with all the cooking items in the mag, most of them were of the "squiggle on a plate" variety, almost seemed to be becoming a cookery magazine, I find this forum and Practical Motorhome magazine much more enjoyable these days.
PS, sitting in hot sunny Cornwall near Sennen Cove as I write this. !!:Cool:

Sep 28, 2009
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey AA 765
Exp
Since 2006
I agree, MMM has gone down hill over years. I cancelled my subscription last year. I did buy one the other week and after I had read it I remembered why I had cancelled it in the first place! Absolute rubbish.

Cam.

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I too think that MMM has gone downhill over the years.

The idea of a forum testing a van is a good one, what I think manufacturers fear would be hearing the truth ! over some of their creations and not what testers think they want to hear.

Those who watched the old Caravan Channel on TV will remember that Elddis leant them a caravan for a long term test. A forum such as this has a much wider audience than the Caravan Channel.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I too think that MMM has gone downhill over the years.

The idea of a forum testing a van is a good one, what I think manufacturers fear would be hearing the truth ! over some of their creations and not what testers think they want to hear.

Those who watched the old Caravan Channel on TV will remember that Elddis leant them a caravan for a long term test. A forum such as this has a much wider audience than the Caravan Channel.

I see they are going to produce and transmit a Motorhome Show, I think it's going to be on Sunday's after the Caravan Show.:thumb:

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
In my opinion the magazine has declined since the new editor took over. It has dumbed down so much over the last year or so and has become a publication that treats its readers like children.

Although I have been a subscriber for many years this will be the last.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I gave up at the time of the Fiat farce, got fed up with reading glowing reports on a motor that had obviously serious defects.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We tried a couple of copies about a couple of years back and found it pretty useless. We don't take any magazines now they all seem as bad

OP
OP
weejocky

weejocky

Funster
Jan 20, 2010
Yorkshire and France
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
not long enough
Not just me then::bigsmile: I think their shows are going downhill too, they seem to have the same old traders, with the same inflated prices. Don't think I've seen a bargain at a Warners show in years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back