Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
It would appear that as a non BT subscriber I can purchase monthly access to their openzone wifi network.

Has anyone used this service and can comment on how good it is

Neil

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It would appear that as a non BT subscriber I can purchase monthly access to their openzone wifi network.

Has anyone used this service and can comment on how good it is

Neil

I have used it in hotels and it's pretty good:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I have bt at home so get to use openzone and bt fon for free. I have used it many times and always found it to be really good managed to find BT fon in a campsite in France also

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I bought a FON...
Link Removed

Connected it at home to my Orange broadband and that now gives me access to BT openzones and other Fon sites... 1 off fee..
New subscribers to BT are automatically enrolled as FON/OPENZONE sites unless they choose to opt out.. So in theory more should become avaiable.
I have used it in France BUT not many sites there..

dug

May 28, 2011
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
ducato maxi tdi 24'
Exp
Same as Tonka i bought, a fon and connected to my virgin cable at home,that was 2 weeks ago and still haven't found a Btfon site in range yet,not very impressed and i was advised by the guy at the Shrewsbury meet selling wifi kit.
Have fun, Dug.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Same as Tonka i bought, a fon and connected to my virgin cable at home,that was 2 weeks ago and still haven't found a Btfon site in range yet,not very impressed and i was advised by the guy at the Shrewsbury meet selling wifi kit.
Have fun, Dug.

NOTE... I have and DO use many hotspots in uk, via fon/BT, some in towns on my smart phone and on my laptop using a wifi extender (faculty x).. So no issues with UK !!!!
In France I have not found many and in fact the strangest and best one was in a little village in the middle of nowhere on a night it was it was lashing with rain.. I had my monies worth then..:thumb:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I was speaking to a Vodafone advisor on Thursday and I mentioned WiFi access. He told me that Vodafone data subscribers are able to access BT Openzone by using their Vodafone account username and password.

I have yet to try this out as I am out of range of any BT site. I use my Vodafone contract dongle on the laptop and have found very few spots where I haven't had a connection.

I have come across SFR WiFi sites in France (Normany & Brittany) that say that you can use the BT Openzone username & Password to get access.

John

OP
OP
Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Some great tips, the vodaphone suggestion looks promising, has anyone tried this

Thanks for the tips

Neil

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Some great tips, the vodaphone suggestion looks promising, has anyone tried this

Thanks for the tips

Neil

I have. As usual with Vodafone it's not straightforward.

I did eventually connect. I now do it via my BT account - far more logical/ straightforward.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Have fun, Dug.

FON has some pretty good coverage: http://maps.fon.com/

I'm genuinely surprised you've had that experience, I must log onto FON a couple of times a week and often don't even require a booster to do so.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

Thanks for the tips

Neil

The 3 network also allows WiFi access to BT Openzone. It was after seeing this that I queried it with Vodafone.

Thanks for the info, Treacle.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back